• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Firmware recommendation for 3-layer discs

coopervid

My personal experience is that LG WH16NS60 1.03 is the best firmware to rip 3-layer discs. You need to have Makemkv installed in parallel to AnyDVD. No problems even with the critical LOTR discs. Anyone having issues with 3-layer discs please flash to this firmware. It was mostly recommended to get a BU40 slim drive or a Pioneer drive but I could rip all these discs with this firmware flashed to my LG BH16NS55 drive.

Ok I'll bite. I pulled the Pioneer drive and put my 2020 made NS60 back in and flashed it to 1.03MK. I'll test it out and see just how good it really is.

Ok I'll bite. I pulled the Pioneer drive and put my 2020 made NS60 back in and flashed it to 1.03MK. I'll test it out and see just how good it really is.
Like said. Not a bullet proof way but my personal experience. Let me know how yours is.

That's why I'm testing it out to give you more data points. It's a faster drive so we'll see if that causes issues. One thing to make sure is that people do not enable speed control in MakeMKV. When it works, it's insane the amount of speed you can get out of this drive, but when it doesn't it causes all manner of issues.

I never enabled speed control. I'm happy if the 3-layer discs read OK and my max speed was in the 34MB/s area which is really quite fast.

Right but you're recommending a firmware that requires MakeMKV to be installed to use for AnyDVD. My point is, make sure that people reading the recommendation know not to try enabling it, especially on triple layer discs else it'll potentially defeat the purpose.

So far on my LotR Return of the King test it's going well. These are notoriously challenging discs.

Took an hour and some change to read that disc but it read it perfectly. I'll keep that drive in the case for now and see how it does going forward. I always have the bu40n I can throw on the machine if I need to. Swapping out drives from the case takes about 5 minutes so I can switch back to the pio if need be.

with the critical LOTR discs
I remember having one or two read errors with my 3.10 flashed Asus back then, I returned it and the new box had a different copy protection, but they worked. (I might mix it up with Hobbit, naturally I ordered both of them and so I cannot differ between them now. I have screenshots, but no idea where or when (date of screenshot creation) to look right now).

This was back at the beginning of my 4K usage, so no way I could've known about crossflashing and things like that.
So for me there is no way to test if it could've worked.

I remember having one or two read errors with my 3.10 flashed Asus back then, I returned it and the new box had a different copy protection, but they worked. (I might mix it up with Hobbit, naturally I ordered both of them and so I cannot differ between them now. I have screenshots, but no idea where or when (date of screenshot creation) to look right now).

This was back at the beginning of my 4K usage, so no way I could've known about crossflashing and things like that.
So for me there is no way to test if it could've worked.
Your next chance is your next 3-layer disc (>66GB).

Right but you're recommending a firmware that requires MakeMKV to be installed to use for AnyDVD. My point is, make sure that people reading the recommendation know not to try enabling it, especially on triple layer discs else it'll potentially defeat the purpose.

So far on my LotR Return of the King test it's going well. These are notoriously challenging discs.
I forgot to mention that installation of Makemkv is mandatory for using this firmware. Thanks for pointing this out. I ripped the 2 Towers w/o any issues.

Your next chance is your next 3-layer disc (>66GB).
I already plan to do so, should the error happen again. But I don't know how long that will be as I only buy discs occasionally.
I ripped three 4k Discs last week using Prime Day (the box of the three reboot Star Trek movies), but I don't think they were more than 66GB. And they went fine, so even if they were bigger/triple layer discs, there is nothing to fix or improve.

I already plan to do so, should the error happen again. But I don't know how long that will be as I only buy discs occasionally.
I ripped three 4k Discs last week using Prime Day (the box of the three reboot Star Trek movies), but I don't think they were more than 66GB. And they went fine, so even if they were bigger/triple layer discs, there is nothing to fix or improve.
Just trust me. I always recommended ASUS 3.10. There was always trouble to read 3-layer discs with it. Otherwise this firmware is great for up to 2-layer discs. Like I told you before these "friedly firmwares" were never supposed to read UHDs. "Official firmwares" were designed to do so. I tested BH16NS60 1.0 and 1.02. Then WH16NS60 1.03 and then the drive never choked on any disc. Also an user over in the Makemkv forum posted that he could only rip his discs switching to this firmware which lead me to do so as well. And that was a big step forward w/o trying to load / unload the disc several times and pray in the meantime :).

I understand all of that, I only tried to say that it will take a time till I can test it, and on top of that I will need a disc that gives me an error.
Not that I don't believe or understand anything (insert random smiley as I have no idea which one would fit here).

I understand all of that, I only tried to say that it will take a time till I can test it, and on top of that I will need a disc that gives me an error.
Not that I don't believe or understand anything (insert random smiley as I have no idea which one would fit here).
Forget about errors or several tries with this firmware. It will just plough through. ;)

I forgot to mention that installation of Makemkv is mandatory for using this firmware. Thanks for pointing this out. I ripped the 2 Towers w/o any issues.

I'd rip my two towers discs but the f***ing case was empty when I got my set and WB claimed they were going to ship them to me and never did. When I asked about it again, they never responded. I'm a bit jaded on that given it was the steel book set from best buy and it sold out in like 30 minutes after it was released and there were no replacements.

That's not entirely true, necessarily. This firmware isn't magic. The ASUS drives use different laser calibration data and flashing this firmware isn't going to change that. It MIGHT help but it's not guaranteed. On an actual NS60 drive, maybe. Seems to work for me on the 1 disc I've tested. But on an ASUS drive....it's borderline as to whether it'll truly help or not. I'm not saying it absolutely won't, I'm simply saying it's not a bullet proof "install this and it's a miracle cure for all your read errors".

I'd rip my two towers discs but the f***ing case was empty when I got my set and WB claimed they were going to ship them to me and never did. When I asked about it again, they never responded. I'm a bit jaded on that given it was the steel book set from best buy and it sold out in like 30 minutes after it was released and there were no replacements.
Keep pushing. There is no better customer service in the world besides the US. Yes, you won't believe it until you have to deal with customer "service" in other counties.

That's not entirely true, necessarily. This firmware isn't magic. The ASUS drives use different laser calibration data and flashing this firmware isn't going to change that. It MIGHT help but it's not guaranteed. On an actual NS60 drive, maybe. Seems to work for me on the 1 disc I've tested. But on an ASUS drive....it's borderline as to whether it'll truly help or not. I'm not saying it absolutely won't, I'm simply saying it's not a bullet proof "install this and it's a miracle cure for all your read errors".
I never said that. And differently to your experience I had never any problems burning discs. The drive is a BH16NS55. Then flashed to ASUS 3.10MK. And now flashed to WH16NS60 1.03.

Still. You have to remove the invisible film on new discs. This firmware by itself is not fool-proof! Wash the discs with warm water and liquid soap. Dry them with a soft cloth or gently with paper towels. Afterwards clean again with a microfiber cloth as used to clean glasses.

Firmware can't solve pollution issues!

Keep pushing. There is no better customer service in the world besides the US. Yes, you won't believe it until you have to deal with customer "service" in other counties.

I gave up. It's been well over a year or more since that set came out. At some point when I see them on sale (non-steel book obviously) I'll grab them and toss them in the steel book case after ripping them. I have all the other discs including the Hobbit movies.

Back