File IO error when ripping Game of Thrones, Season 5, Disk 4 DVD

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by Doomster, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Doomster

Doomster Member

I wanted to rip the GoT Season 5 disks into digital format so I could play it thru Kodi.

The 4 other disks in the season ripped fine. Disk 4 had File IO errors (see attached PNG file). After the first attempted failed, I tried two more times but it always fails at this file.

What would cause a File IO error? Bad format of the DVD?

Attached Files:

2. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

It is hard to believe that this title does not have any protection at all, but it doesn't show any. It is a single layer disc with no protection. Exit AnyDVD and try again without AnyDVD. If it errors without AnyDVD, it is probably a defective disc, but @James would need to say for sure. There have been some strange discs lately.

3. Doomster

Doomster Member

So you want me to play the DVD on the same DVD drive on my PC but not use AnyDVD, right?

4. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

Just rip it with Windows, or use whatever converter program you were using, but with AnyDVD not running.

5. Doomster

Doomster Member

The only other ripping program I have is Handbrake. I ripped the actual file (VTS_01_1.VOB) that was causing the errors in AnyDVD, using Handbrake. Handbrake converted it to an MP4 file without any problems and I was able to play the Handbrake-created MP4 file back using Windows VLC player.

I also played the actual VTS_01_1.VOB file from the DVD using VLS player and I had no problems either.

6. Doomster

Doomster Member

I scanned the DVD with a disk verifying software (VSO). Looks like there are some medium errors on the DVD. That is what probably caused the File IO errors by AnyDVD.

7. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Yes, if AnyDVD says "there is a read error on this disc" it usually means, that there is a read error on the disc. ;)