• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request: Release year in filename

Tschens Brems

Hello,
I could not find the option to add the release year of the movie (according to the movie database) in the file name. For those among us who work with Synology Video Station, Kodi or similar applications which scrape the video information from the online video databases based on the file name, it would be very helpful to create file names such as

Terminator - Dark Fate (2019).mp4

Would be quite comfortable.
Thx,
Tschens

You will probably get some grief. This has been talked about many times before.

It would be handy for me as well because I tag all my filenames with the year (for Plex) but it's not easy for them to pull off as I think it would require access to an external source. In reality it's easy enough to just add it manually which is what I do.

Sorry for discussing that issue again, I was not aware of the fact that this was talked about many times before.

I agree that its easy to rename the file. However, this means I have to check the year in the database myself beforehand, then adapt the filename. Especially the quite cryptic part in brackets "Name of movie [something language-related].mp4" is not helpful at all.
AnyStream is an excellent, very comfortable application. I just want to help to improve the program. Although fulfilling my request would be only a cosmetic improvement, why should it not be implemented if it can be done with reasonable efforts?
Regards,
Tschens

Especially the quite cryptic part in brackets "Name of movie [something language-related].mp4" is not helpful at all.
That is part of the title and comes with the provider, AnyStream just copies that information.

That's what I assumed since the filename setting is <title.mp4>. However, as far is I checked my mp4 files, they are meta-tagged with <filename>. Why not just take over the filename from the file's metatag?

Sorry for discussing that issue again, I was not aware of the fact that this was talked about many times before.

I agree that its easy to rename the file. However, this means I have to check the year in the database myself beforehand, then adapt the filename. Especially the quite cryptic part in brackets "Name of movie [something language-related].mp4" is not helpful at all.
AnyStream is an excellent, very comfortable application. I just want to help to improve the program. Although fulfilling my request would be only a cosmetic improvement, why should it not be implemented if it can be done with reasonable efforts?
Regards,
Tschens

No that's not what I do exactly. My usual process is to d/l a few titles at a time. I use the default naming convention. Then when I am done pulling stuff down I go snag the official name and year from IMDB and rename the file with that.

I don't know for sure but I believe this would be harder to pull off than you think.

Probably the method I suggested is too error-prone. However, the dev-team is very skilled, therefore they might have better options and ideas to improve this (minor) issue. I think the basic idea of my request is clear. Let's just see what happens. If it will not be worked on, no problem at all for me.

I never really thought about it until I downloaded Dune. The new one, that is. And then I saw the old one; decided to take it as well. And then AS says I already downloaded it. Easy enough to fix, and I understood why it happened. So what am I saying? There are better reasons than mine to try to implement this, but a priority? No.

I never really thought about it until I downloaded Dune. The new one, that is. And then I saw the old one; decided to take it as well. And then AS says I already downloaded it. Easy enough to fix, and I understood why it happened. So what am I saying? There are better reasons than mine to try to implement this, but a priority? No.

The thing is it would require AS to identify the title, use a connection to some online DB to find the year and only then be able to place it in the filename. It's just not as simple as people would think. And the reason I know this is I have another piece of software I use that has this function in it and that is what it does (but that software has zero to do with attainting titles it's just for cataloging).

Hello,
I could not find the option to add the release year of the movie (according to the movie database) in the file name. For those among us who work with Synology Video Station, Kodi or similar applications which scrape the video information from the online video databases based on the file name, it would be very helpful to create file names such as

Terminator - Dark Fate (2019).mp4

Would be quite comfortable.
Thx,
Tschens

In my experience, for example, Amazon Prime repeatedly gives completely wrong information about the year of publication. They are really only true in the rarest of cases.

Specifying the year of publication would be of little use or even provide incorrect results when reading from film databases.

That's not that important to me, as I use an old prg for that (and as long as it works (IMDB doesn't change there format), I'm happy)... I use it for my movies and tv series to standardize the names...

My Template

Movies : [%MovieName%] ([%Year%])
Movie Name (2013).mp4

TV Shows : [%SeriesName%] (S[%SeasonNumber%]E[%EpisodeNumber%]) - [%EpisodeName%]
TV Show (S02E07) - Episode Name.mp4

Let the AS Prger's work on more important things.

Last edited:
That's not that important to me, as I use an old prg for that (and as long as it works (IMDB doesn't change there format), I'm happy)... I use it for my movies and tv series to standardize the names...

which program? need details. it pulls release year from imdb based on filename (movie name)? thanks. cheers.

I have over 1000 movie titles and probably 1000 TV shows on Plex on my Sinology NAS and use FileBot to convert to Plex friendly names after download... it searches a number of different databases online and 99% accurate -- for the ones it misses I go to IMBD and search for it there and change the file manually -- the other thing I do if there are multiple same names of a movie.. I'll fast forward right to the end and let the credits roll where they show the date of when the movie was released -- but this on rare occasions

here is an example of the latest Doom Patrol Episode that came out this week FBot names it the way I want and Plex always picks up the names fine --- you can do multiple files at a time - Hit rename after you confirm new names are correct and Bob's ya Uncle

upload_2021-10-28_6-58-36.png

I have over 1000 movie titles and probably 1000 TV shows on Plex on my Sinology NAS and use FileBot to convert to Plex friendly names after download... it searches a number of different databases online and 99% accurate -- for the ones it misses I go to IMBD and search for it there and change the file manually -- the other thing I do if there are multiple same names of a movie.. I'll fast forward right to the end and let the credits roll where they show the date of when the movie was released -- but this on rare occasions

Plex handles identification pretty good on it's own. It does not require a year in the filename UNLESS there are duplicate titles which happens often at this point. This is where the year in the filename becomes important usually.

Personally speaking, I put it regardless but as mentioned I do this manually. Everything I convert or d/l I rename manually. I use a separate cataloging application to keep track of all my titles, where they came from, media info stuff etc. It will auto detect titles and sometimes ask for confirmation when it finds duplicates. I mention this because I believe the app I use to do this will also mass rename files and include the year or whatever else you want.

You will probably get some grie
Like everything else on this forum regarding progress. No 'probably' about it. You'll be fought tooth and nail by individuals who insist if it works for them it's good enough for everyone! This is the mentality of most here, unfortunately.

Realistically, though? It's absolutely needed. I ran into this myself with Dune on HBO. AS doesn't allow for labeling of 'year', so, it thought they were the same, and , yeah, you can guess how that went.

Maybe it's just a little harder to implement than you think?
In order for the template to work, I guess every provider has to deliver the release year in it's meta-data.
But ok ... let's just wait another month ... or ten for the important features (to most users -> batch downloading) to implement, just because some ppl are not in the mood to rename some files :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just a little harder to implement than you think?
In order for the template to work, I guess every provider has to deliver the release year in it's meta-data.
But ok ... let's just wait another month ... or ten for the important features (to most users -> batch downloading) to implement, just because some ppl are not in the mood to rename some files :rolleyes:

Your argument lacks any logic. I could argue the same way that users requesting batch download are just too lazy to klick with their mouse every few hours. Read the posting from twhiting9275 just before yours carefully and try to understand.

Your argument lacks any logic. I could argue the same way that users requesting batch download are just too lazy to klick with their mouse every few hours. Read the posting from twhiting9275 just before yours carefully and try to understand.
The request for batch downloading exists basically from the start of Anystream and has been asked in the forum multiple times since then.
I've never seen the request for year-labeling before the implementation of HBO, but I may be wrong here.
So from my perspective my argument is very logical.

The request for batch downloading exists basically from the start of Anystream and has been asked in the forum multiple times since then.
I've never seen the request for year-labeling before the implementation of HBO, but I may be wrong here.
So from my perspective my argument is very logical.

Do you realize that your argument is now another one? Let’s please stop that bu##§!t and think solution-oriented. Let‘s see what the dev team does for us.

Back