• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Feature Request: Completed Downloads Location

How many times has AS crashed and you lost a download?
For me, this is not an issue, because it rarely crashes. But I can still see the benefit of naming the tmp files different until they are completed, not as an important feature, but as a comfort thingy to make it more clear what file is incomplete in the rare case it happens. So I can fully understand why you (and the devs when they hear it) don't think it is important, I don't think so either. But I also see no reason why it shouldn't be done at all. That is the point I tried to say. Same for the two AnyDVD requests that got rejected and the AS one. Only a few users might use or even notice these things, but they won't harm anyone who won't use them.
That's why I sometimes can't understand when things get rejected. Surely, there are other important things, like adding more poviders. But if it can help some people, at least take it into consideration for a time where the devs have bit of room for such things. And don't reject them right from the start.

There's any number of acceptable solutions to this.
I don't see a reason to set a tmp folder for AS. As far as I can tell, it directly writes to the output file and does not create useless files like yt-dlp and the other downloader does. So renaming the unfinished files as Chrome, Firefox etc do should be enough. That should only be a small change to the file creation handler, just write .tmp instead of .mp4. And the renaming to .mp4 gets added to the download finish procedure.

As long as we are voting here, PLEASE do not do this. I prefer the simple file system process we have now.
I'd rather you NOT spend dev/test cycles on something like this.

There is a really easy way to tell if you have a partial file - try to play it.
If an MP4 is missing data, it won't play (unlike a truncated MKV file).

In 2+ years of AnyStream, I've never had a corrupted download (or even a crash).
Using a wired network really helps here.

We listen to every request that doesn’t mean that they are going to happen. We try to be polite and listen. It’s up to the developers.

if i remember correctly, when i abort download i get a partial mp4 file and it plays?
It does. As long as you see a thumbnail, it will play. ;) All you have to do is mouse over the file and it will tell you the lenght and the size of the file. Easy stuff.

if i remember correctly, when i abort download i get a partial mp4 file and it plays?
True, because AnyStream kind of "finishes" the file to be able to play when aborting.
If AS crashes (or you kill it with task manager), the video file is there, but unplayable.

True, because AnyStream kind of "finishes" the file to be able to play when aborting.
If AS crashes (or you kill it with task manager), the video file is there, but unplayable.

aaaaah, so. i stand corrected.

Ok.
I think the best solution, is to add an extension during download, like ".temp".
Especially because, as was suggested here, to test whether a file plays, is going to come back and bite you - VLC has a tendency to go into infinite loops and lock up, when attempting to play invalid files.
Using a different download directory is a bit messy, because it requires either the user or AnyStream, to test whether the other path is on the same volume (no mounted path no directories with differing compression settings, etc...) and allows a quick move instead of a slow copy.

Back