• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

FAQ, Can I use my Slysoft AnyDVDHD license with the new RedFox AnyDVDHD versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recollection is that in setting up the RedFox project every effort was
made to ensure that RedFox was not Slysoft's successor in law. Therefore no obligation to service Slysoft licences.

I doubt they did. The real legal threat to Redfox is the same legal threat that took out Slysoft. The actual threat of a user trying to sue them on such shakey grounds as requiring payment for their version while the Slysoft version is still available for their licence holders to use, is probably not even in the back of their minds. Never going to happen. So I doubt they took any precautions for this what so ever.

The ' new management' would like customers believe that as a software Any DVD ceased to exist and if that was the case the excusers/explainers about lifetime updates have it right. Unfortunately they do not. Any DVD is alive and well. It progresses and is being updated as it would have been under 'old management'. As is, it is, the continuation of the existing product. And changing the name will not do either. Whoever and when disects the software to its core will prove is the same, though naturally evolved product. Again let me repeat myself you cannot have benefits without liabilities.

The only reason Redfox's AnyDVD HD is even available is because they did not allow Slysoft licences. I believe I read somewhere on these forums that 95% of licence sales were from Slysoft licence holders. That would mean if they did allow Slysoft's old licences to continue to work, they would have just 5% of the funds available to continue on. My guess is that wouldn't be enough to continue.

I doubt they did. The real legal threat to Redfox is the same legal threat that took out Slysoft. The actual threat of a user trying to sue them on such shakey grounds as requiring payment for their version while the Slysoft version is still available for their licence holders to use, is probably not even in the back of their minds. Never going to happen. So I doubt they took any precautions for this what so ever.

The only reason Redfox's AnyDVD HD is even available is because they did not allow Slysoft licences. I believe I read somewhere on these forums that 95% of licence sales were from Slysoft licence holders. That would mean if they did allow Slysoft's old licences to continue to work, they would have just 5% of the funds available to continue on. My guess is that wouldn't be enough to continue.

New to the game but just wondering if a discount for existing lifetime licence owners was ever considered or whether the decision was that the number of old Slysoft users who would complain and not re-purchase would be insignificant? There is an obvious connection between Slysoft and Redfox so I'm sure it was possible.

That ship has sailed months ago. There was one for 2 months when redfox licenses first became available. And there are NO connections between the current redfox and former slysoft. You can't have a connection with something that doesn't exist anymore.

That ship has sailed months ago. There was one for 2 months when redfox licenses first became available. And there are NO connections between the current redfox and former slysoft. You can't have a connection with something that doesn't exist anymore.
Must have missed the memo.

Same people. Same product. Same logo. Same website. No connection.

There is no connection between NASA and Neil Armstrong because he no longer exists eh?

Same people. Same product. Same logo. Same website. No connection....

While it seems you have your mind made up, it is not the same people. The CEO who was in charge of the former company is gone. The product known as AnyDVD is now replaced by one version called AnyDVD HD. The logo is different as well. Regarding the same website, I know of no map that sees Antigua and Belize as having the same location.

While it seems you have your mind made up, it is not the same people. The CEO who was in charge of the former company is gone. The product known as AnyDVD is now replaced by one version called AnyDVD HD. The logo is different as well. Regarding the same website, I know of no map that sees Antigua and Belize as having the same location.

So let me get this straight. If the CEO of a company leaves the company then it becomes a different company? When Bill Gates stepped down from Microsoft did it cease to be Microsoft? If they changed the name to Nanosoft would it be the same company? Different company name yes but same products, same core personel etc.
I have owned AnyDVD HD since I bought it from Slysoft a number of years ago. RedFox have just rebranded it and used the exact same Fox logo but have put a Zoro mask on it. It is the exact same graphic image. The irony here being that the mask in Zoro represents a person trying to disguise who they are.
What I have found interesting today is that I have updated the software on one machine to the latest available 7.6.9.5 with my old Slysoft lifetime licence and I have compared the settings Information page to an old installation on another laptop from Feb 2014. The two pages are identical other than the current one has RedFox.bz at the top and the old one Slysoft. Both say Free Updates: Forever. This is incorrect as I haven't paid for a RedFox licence but the software is saying I have. Clearly RedFox have just rebadged the old Slysoft software i.e. same product or if you want to split hairs derived from the same product. They may have added features whatever. I don't really care about what has happened. Companies come and go. I don't believe there is some sort of scam. What I do believe though is that one of the things that is getting people hot under the collar is this denial that Slysoft and RedFox are connected in any way when anyone with an eye in their head can see differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, let's get you straight shall we?

The CEO hasn't moved over to redfox, nor did some of the former staff.
RedFox isn't a company, there is no central office. It's a closed source project.
There has been no rebranding.
Not the same products. There's no AnyDVD and AnyDVD (HD) anymore (2 versions). There's only 1 single AnyDVD HD version (and at a cheaper price than slysoft had)
The logo is similar yes, because that's the most known image associated with AnyDVD.
You paid Slysoft for your license, slysoft is dead. You were given updates for Slysoft's AnyDVD for as long as it (and they) existed.
There has been no rebadging and they are not connected. You can't be connected to something that doesn't exist.

Now, nobody likes what happened but ultimately it's the USA's MPAA & AACS-LA that are solely responsible for what happened, and the US government for giving civilian authorities too much power that allows them to push US laws onto countries where they have no right to puch them on.

Yes, let's get you straight shall we?

The CEO hasn't moved over to redfox, nor did some of the former staff.
RedFox isn't a company, there is no central office. It's a closed source project.
There has been no rebranding.
Not the same products. There's no AnyDVD and AnyDVD (HD) anymore (2 versions). There's only 1 single AnyDVD HD version (and at a cheaper price than slysoft had)
The logo is similar yes, because that's the most known image associated with AnyDVD.
You paid Slysoft for your license, slysoft is dead. You were given updates for Slysoft's AnyDVD for as long as it (and they) existed.
There has been no rebadging and they are not connected. You can't be connected to something that doesn't exist.

Now, nobody likes what happened but ultimately it's the USA's MPAA & AACS-LA that are solely responsible for what happened, and the US government for giving civilian authorities too much power that allows them to push US laws onto countries where they have no right to puch them on.

So can I just check, who owned or was responsible for releasing version 7.6.9.5? i.e. the last version that the Slysoft licence works with?

The last official slysoft version was 7690. Redfox released 5 Interim versions to keep up with blockbuster releases whole they were getting things ready for the first official redfox release. Once everything was in place for a full launch, v8 was released which no longer worked with slysoft licenses

In all fairness, it's kinda hard to maintain there's no relationship between SlySloft and RedFox, especially when their own 'RedFox Project' page says: "The RedFox team consists of former SlySoft developers and staff members who were left without a job after the company was forced to close down." So, they're essentially the same people, with essentially the same product (even though not literally *exactly* all the same people, or literally *exactly* the same product). And they're asking for a new lifetime license. And I can live with that. But to argue SlySoft and RedFox are 'not connected', merely because the former went out of business, is kinda silly. That's like saying Steve Jobs is 'not connected' to Apple, merely because he died.

So can I just check, who owned or was responsible for releasing version 7.6.9.5? i.e. the last version that the Slysoft licence works with?
We did that for the people that did not want to update, it has the capacity to decrypt over 150,000 discs without connecting to the OPD. However any thing released after Feb of 2016 will not work with this version if the OPD is needed. So it looks like you would be happy to upgrade for our great 20% discount , only good until the 16th of this month. Use Bitcoin and get and extra 10% off, its deal that will never be topped. Join our project and be happy. RedFox has the best developers in the world. If Redfox had not done this Slysoft would have just disappeared and you would have been left with nothing. Now you have choice.

We did that for the people that did not want to update, it has the capacity to decrypt over 150,000 discs without connecting to the OPD. However any thing released after Feb of 2016 will not work with this version if the OPD is needed. So it looks like you would be happy to upgrade for our great 20% discount , only good until the 16th of this month. Use Bitcoin and get and extra 10% off, its deal that will never be topped. Join our project and be happy. RedFox has the best developers in the world. If Redfox had not done this Slysoft would have just disappeared and you would have been left with nothing. Now you have choice.

I wouldn't go that far. I didn't know until a couple of days ago that Slysoft had gone! So don't use the product that much these days and missed out on the initial promotion which is disappointing. I think RedFox will go the same way as Slysoft but in less time. I can't see how it's possible to maintain a business while offering a lifetime licence (the everlasting lightbulb) and DVDs and Blu-ray will go the same way as CDs have.

Not a red flag at all, some things needed to get straight. When people leave or get fired from a company and join a different company or project, does that new project then have ties to the former company? No

As to the CD/DVD/Blu-ray thing, although CD sales might be down they still haven't gone anywhere. And neither have dvd's which were supposedly to have been replaced by Blu-ray by now.

That's exactly why happened. Slysoft got shut down, subsequently they got fired/lost their job. They didn't need to change the code, because rather than paying the former staff the wages they were due the former CEO signed over all legal rights to the name and code. There's no need to change the GUI and 'fix' what isn't broken. Users would have to figure out all over again, where everything is.

And yes the version is minor. If slysoft would have died at 8.4.3.6 then redfox would simply have started at 9.0.0.0. The major version number change was simply to indicate a major overhaul, and trust me there was. Just because there's no major student visible things, doesn't mean there wasn't on the underlying code. One of those being that under slysoft trial versions couldn't access the opd, under redfox they can.

There's NO visible setting for that, but that's a major change functionality wise.

I wouldn't go that far. I didn't know until a couple of days ago that Slysoft had gone! So don't use the product that much these days and missed out on the initial promotion which is disappointing. I think RedFox will go the same way as Slysoft but in less time. I can't see how it's possible to maintain a business while offering a lifetime licence (the everlasting lightbulb) and DVDs and Blu-ray will go the same way as CDs have.
We were against the lifetime licenses, but the overall customer base really insisted we provide them. If you wish we wont sell you one.

We were against the lifetime licenses, but the overall customer base really insisted we provide them. If you wish we wont sell you one.
Only for those not wanting them not the rest of us and for those that 2nd or more license don't. There will be blacklash from wet noodles if you do so.

These types of threads have been going on for over 6 months, lets cut it out, this is not a platform for continuous debating on what our fees should be and how long they should or will last. These types of questions cannot be answered. So I will politely close this thread and if ArchieFatcacky or Watcher0363 have anymore questions they can contact me personally via PM. The thread is closed. I have cleaned up this thread a bit. Like I said, previously, if anyone has an issue they can take it up with me privately via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back