Encrypted data DVD

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Roundtree, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Roundtree

Roundtree Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I have a data dvd that is encrypted. I did not know when I purchased it that the contents cannot be copied onto my hard drive. To make use of the info on the dvd I have to always insert it in my dvd rom which is very inconvenient and increases the possibility of its being scratched.

Is there a decrypter for data dvd's?

Thanks.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Try Game Jackal

3. Roundtree

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a gamer and I do not want to spend 29 euros (the cost of Game Jackal Pro) in order to play one dvd.

4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Try AShampoo or Alcohol 120% or you can set up a Virtual drive.

5. Webslinger

GameJackal doesn't just work for games, and it also has an advantage over some virtual drives in that 1) the profiles are smaller (saving you space on your hard drive) and 2) do not require third party application hiders for most safedisc and securerom protected programs

6. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Try CloneCD Roundtree.

7. Roundtree

Charlie, I think to download CloneCD today. However I already have dvdnextcopy installed. Are there any known conflicts between the two softwares?

8. Charlie

No I use them together without issues you'll be fine.

9. Webslinger

For most recent protections, Clonecd will not work by itself without emulation. This is one reason why I recommended Game Jackal (but Game Jackal mostly works with Safedisc and Securerom protections . . . not Tages nor Starforce)

10. Roundtree

Webslinger, as a novice I sure would appreciate your telling me what emulation is in the sense that you are using it.

And why does might it pose a problem if I use CloneCD as Charlie suggested???

Thank you.

11. Charlie

I see Webslinger thanks for the info. I told the user to try it and see here as I have no ideal what to recommend besides clonecd :) or alcohol 120. Maybe dameon tools?

12. Webslinger

A program runs in the background and basically emulates the protection on the disc, which allows you to run a backup without issue.

Clonecd does not provide emulation. That's what Game Jackal is for.

13. Webslinger

Alcohol 120% is using emulation as well, and alcohol 120%'s virtual drives are based on Daemon Tools.

Game Jackal has a distinct advantage over those virtual drives in that the profiles tend to be smaller.