• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

does this drive support uhd?"

HL-DT-ST BD-REBH16NS55 1.03
does it need the firmware downgrade...???
You'll need to downgrade if you're on 1.03, 1.03 removed the friendly option

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Has anyone yet developed a method for dumping and then flashing the LG BE16NU50 drive through the USB connection
Unfortunately not yet.
Mike at MakeMKV has hinted that user-friendly downgrade tools are in the works, but that doesn't necessarily involve USB support.
Maybe also devilsclaw soon has something new in the making: https://club.myce.com/t/devilsclaw-flasher/400563/2

I guess I already know the answer, but, no IDE support in the BIOS => no luck, right?

I just received my LG BE16NU50 but unfortunately it came with 1.02 (Dec 2017 / service code NU50)

The irony is that this was the replacement of a 1.01 version witch came DOA.

I read the thread and I understand that I can flash to 1.01

Before I start, can someone please clarify / verify the following?

1. In case something goes wrong, can I go back to the official firmware that came with the drive? (taking into account that I make a successfull dump of the original firmware prior flashing / of course)

If yes, the drive will still be recognized under Windows with its original model (BE16NU50) (and not the model of the internal drive), right?

2. In case flash is sucessfull, can I be 100% sure that, besides UHD dipping (which can be easily tested), the drive will read (and most importantly) write BD R/RE discs successfully as with the official firmware?

I read about the laser calibration data transfer etc but I also read about some problems after flashing like for example read errors or write failure on some kind of empty discs \ media.

I am also a bit worried because I see that @TeddyRaspin provided a member who has the same drive with more than one fixed firmwares to check (and not a single one) / which makes me think that this may not be a 100% straightforward procedure...

Besides UHD ripping, I want to use the drive for data backups using BD R / RE discs and I don’t want to jeopardize the writing / reading quality (which cannot be easily tested)

3. After flashing with the 1.01 firmware, will the drive work normally inside the the original usb case?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
@spcav

1. Yes at both questions.

2. Your drive will be fully working as a real 1.01 device (thus enabling UHD Friendly capabilities). Other features will be the same as before.

3. Yes.

P.S.
I've provided more than one test fw file, just for testing purposes. Furthermore, you should know that in computer technology a 100% straightforward procedure is almost impossible. There will always be a minimum margin of uncertainty. ;)

Thx @TeddyRaspin!

I ll give it a try

Btw, since I am going to follow the same procedure as @mgluee (who failed initially and you helped him), do you know what might went wrong in his case (in order to avoid it and saving you from coming to the rescue)?

He mentioned a possible not so “clean” 1.01 firmware. Should I try the one mentioned in the first post of this thread?

Thx again!

You need first to dump (or backup) your current firmware. Then you can try to import data to a clean 1.01 firmware and flash it. ;)

You need first to dump (or backup) your current firmware. Then you can try to import data to a clean 1.01 firmware and flash it. ;)
Yes, I know

I asked because I unsterstood that @mgluee did it the right way and failed (and you helped)

Anyway, thx again, I ll give it a try

You're welcome. If you have a backup of your firmware you will be safe. ;)

@TeddyRaspin

I removed the drive from the USB case (BE16NU50) revealing the internal drive (BH16NS50)

2 questions:

1. From the clean firmwares (downloaded from the 1st post of this thread) should I use flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BE16NU50_1.01 or flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS50_1.01 ?

2. I see that in the same file (clean firmwares) flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BE16NU50_1.02 is also included.

Since 1.02 is not UHD friendly, what's the purpose of having this file there as a clean firmware?

thx again

Last edited:
1. From the clean firmwares (downloaded from the 1st post of this thread) should I use flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BE16NU50_1.01 or flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS50_1.01 ?
You can use any of the clean NS50 compatible firmwares - as long as it's UHD friendly.
Some prefer the ASUS firmwares as they are a little bit faster than the LG ones. I'm also using the ASUS 3.02 Firmware on my BE16NU50.
Here are also clean NS50 compatible firmwares attached - but only UHD friendly ones: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dow...-laufwerken-unter-freedos-mit-dosflash.74480/

You can use any of the clean NS50 compatible firmwares - as long as it's UHD friendly.
Some prefer the ASUS firmwares as they are a little bit faster than the LG ones. I'm also using the ASUS 3.02 Firmware on my BE16NU50.
Here are also clean NS50 compatible firmwares attached - but only UHD friendly ones: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dow...-laufwerken-unter-freedos-mit-dosflash.74480/

Thx, yes I know

I just asked why 1.02 for BE16NU50 is mentioned as clean in the link in the first post of this thread.

Maybe this is a mistake that should be corrected

I successfully followed the procedure of @TeddyRaspin and flashed my LG BE16NU50 from 1.02 to 1.01

I did some testing afterwards and I noticed that UHD ripping works OK (I tested one disc which with 1.02 was not recognized at all and with 1.01 was recognized and with AnyDVD can be ripped or played (ex with MPC-HC + madVR))

But I noticed also some a bit worrying things:

1. Sometimes, during 2K BD disc playblack with PDVD 17 and with AnyDVD not running, drive became ''empty'' (like disc was ejected - which did not physically) and obviously playback stopped.

After some seconds the drive read again the disc and everything went back to normal.

Strange thing is that this disc is not recognized by AnyDVD (AnyDVD says ''scanning'', but never completes - just stays in that stage (grayed out))

2. Same as the above with 4K disc (the one successfully ripped), playback with MPC-HC / madVR and AnyDVD running

3. After successfully ripping a 4K disc with AnyDVD, the drive could not ''see'' again the disc inside (made the usual ''noises'' trying to read the disc but didn't make it).

AnyDVD was running at the time.

Ejecting / reinserting the disc did not solve the problem.

After a Win restart, everything went back to normal.

4. I burned my 4K rip (using imgburn) while checking ''verify'' at imgburn settings. Burn completed but I got a verification error afterwards (Miscompare at LBA...)

In that case I thought that maybe AnyDVD kicked in after burn was finished, ''handled'' the disc and that caused the verification error.

Any thoughts on the above?

I'm starting to think that something is wrong with the new firmware and / or my drive (hardware related)

Back