Drives gone

Discussion in 'Virtual CloneDrive' started by jtmturner, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jtmturner

jtmturner Member

Same problem here, only im using vista :(

my DVD drive has totally vanished, i've tried the regedit 'trick' of deleting upper and lower filters, it worked once but not anymore, the drive is totally gone!

and i've restored as far back as I can which is only about a week annoyingly.

I miss my dvd drive,

can anyone help?

2. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

is the dvd drive showing up in device manager?
    (click start>right click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.
    is it listed under Disk drives (click the '+' symbol).

sorry,i just seen your using vista.what i said applied to xp.
    oops!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  3. jtmturner

jtmturner Member

No worries about the xp thing,

nah the drive doesnt show in device manager. The virtual one does and doesnt when disabled, ie it works fine. But my real one is totally gone.

Also its a laptop, so I can't unplug the whole drive and or try a different one :(

4. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

I haven't used VCD in awhile and I don't have Vista but what happened if you uninstalled VCD?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  5. jtmturner

jtmturner Member

Unfortunately uninstalling VCD didn't fix it, but I appreciate the help.

Basically windows has 'forgotten' it has a dvd drive. I've tried to 'add new hardware' but it doesn't find the drive there either :(

Getting close to hitting the reset button here, its a HP notebook, so has the factory reset partition. I just hate it when the computer wins :) call me stubborn I guess.

6. jtmturner

jtmturner Member

Well I finally bit the bullet and re installed windows ...

no luck, still no cd drive :( I was actually surprised, maybe naive of me.

guess its time I actually spent money on this problem and take it to a pro,

I'm even beginning to doubt its a VCD problem since the fresh install didnt fix it, but we'll see.

Jack

7. jtmturner

jtmturner Member

:bang:

Hehe this emote is pretty much perfect.

Turns out im a laptop noob,

The drive can be removed physically by flicking a little switch on the underside of the case, seems I had inadvertantly half switched this swich, meaning the drive wasnt fully connected so obviously windows couldnt see it.

Seems VCD was completely unaccountable for any of this, and I appologise for any bad thoughts I might have had against it ;)

well, thank you to those that offered support, im really rather glad to have my drive back :D

Jack

8. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

I'm glad to hear you resolved your problem. :)