• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drillbit Taylor Problems

Your conclusion "green -> encrypted" is not necessarily correct.
While that in fact is a typical CSS effect with standard DVDs, it is not with Blurays. CSS leaves parts of the data unencrypted, while AACS encrypts pretty much all of it, so an encrypted stream usually has more severe effects that plain green.
I'd expect nero to crash. PowerDVD would show black (only because it's aware that it can't play the stuff).

Trust Adbear - it's probably a codec thing and nero can't handle it right.
I'm very sure AnyDVD did the decrypting right.

I had the same exact problem. Ripped the files, plays green screen in MPC but have audio. I had to switch the codec for VC-1 and then it played just fine! Good luck :agree:

Afc.sys is typically installed by Arcsoft Photo Impressions. That filter can cause a lot of problems.

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "Afc". Click "Removed Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Keep in that whatever program installed that filter may no longer work properly.

Well, the arcsoft removal didn't change anything.

I had the same exact problem. Ripped the files, plays green screen in MPC but have audio. I had to switch the codec for VC-1 and then it played just fine! Good luck :agree:

Can you explain what you mean by switching the codec?

Your conclusion "green -> encrypted" is not necessarily correct.
While that in fact is a typical CSS effect with standard DVDs, it is not with Blurays. CSS leaves parts of the data unencrypted, while AACS encrypts pretty much all of it, so an encrypted stream usually has more severe effects that plain green.
I'd expect nero to crash. PowerDVD would show black (only because it's aware that it can't play the stuff).

Trust Adbear - it's probably a codec thing and nero can't handle it right.
I'm very sure AnyDVD did the decrypting right.

Yes, I'm sure you are right. The thing is, even when I map a working .grf in graphedit and then load that with an avs script into virtualdub, it doesn't work. Graphedit will choke if the codecs are not correct. It would be very odd for all my previous anydvdhd backups to work fine and this one suddenly have a codec issue I would think.

It plays fine. Man something is screwy here.

Then this isn't an Anydvd HD issue.

What's going on exactly? You ripped the disc, and you're attempting to play files on your hard drive with Powerdvd? That's when you see green?

Then this isn't an Anydvd HD issue.

What's going on exactly? You ripped the disc, and you're attempting to play files on your hard drive with Powerdvd? That's when you see green?

Yes. I make an iso of the files anydvdhd rips to my hdd, then i mount and play the iso. I stream that way. Has worked for all my other bds so far. So I'm wondering wth is different all of a sudden. Nero won't play the .m2ts files that anydvdhd rips for this title either, but it plays any other m2ts fine. 2 different apps, same problem. Playing direct from the actual disc works fine, but riped files don't play right, that is why I assumed an anydvdhd issue.

From what I can gather this is in VC-1 and most likely your other m2ts files are in mpeg2 or H264 which is why the others work and this one doesn't. Could you confirm this by getting nero or powerdvd to show information when playing. That way at least you can narrow down the problem to whether it's just due to your system having an issue with a particular codec type

That way at least you can narrow down the problem to whether it's just due to your system having an issue with a particular codec type

Out of curiosity, if the original disc plays fine in Powerdvd with and without Anydvd running in the background, why would this be a codec issue?

Regardless, @baconbits1, please do what Adbear says.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, if the original disc plays fine in Powerdvd with and without Anydvd running in the background, why would this be a codec issue?

Regardless, @baconbits1, please do what Adbear says.

Because different players have different strategies to put together their filter graph. For example I have 4 different MPEG2 codecs on my PC, but at least one of them (which is automatically chosen, if I don't select a different one explicitly) is crap.

And Nero.... well.... oh, well....

Because different players have different strategies to put together their filter graph. For example I have 4 different MPEG2 codecs on my PC, but at least one of them (which is automatically chosen, if I don't select a different one explicitly) is crap.

And Nero.... well.... oh, well....

Exactly! The main movie file for Drillbit Taylor is 00000.m2ts and it is in the VC-1 codec.
I have ffdshow installed using Media Player Classic. I selected the libavcodec in ffdshow for all VC-1 media and opened up Drillbit Taylor's main movie file, 00000.m2ts in Media Player Classic and it played just fine. Hope this is more clear than my previous post. I'm not on my computer with ffdshow but if you want more detail, just ask! :)

Because different players have different strategies to put together their filter graph.

Yeah, that's fine. But let's forget Nero for a moment.

The problem completely involves playback with Powerdvd.

The OP plays the original disc fine in Powerdvd (with or without Anydvd, the original disc plays fine). Then he rips that disc using Anydvd ripper, creates an .iso using some unknown program, mounts the .iso using some unknown virtual drive software, and plays the .iso using Powerdvd again. Now he gets green instead of what he expects. I'm having problems understanding why a different codec (even if it's an another inferior version that's installed on the same system) would be chosen suddenly by Powerdvd, provided nothing else has been installed or configured differently between these two events.

I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm seriously interested in this.

Basically, please explain the following:

Given

A. Powerdvd + Anydvd + Original disc = plays fine, and

B. Powerdvd + an .iso created by files produced from Anydvd ripper mounted in a virutal drive = green problem,

explain why Powerdvd is using the wrong codec for the ripped files only?

The only explanation I can derive is that something weird is going on with either the .iso creation or the virtual drive software being used--unless something has happened in between steps "A." and "B." that I'm not privy to. Certainly the green playback issue sounds as though it could be explained by using the wrong codec, but given the OP's description I'm having trouble understanding how that's possible.

Last edited:
Exactly! The main movie file for Drillbit Taylor is 00000.m2ts and it is in the VC-1 codec.
I have ffdshow installed using Media Player Classic. I selected the libavcodec in ffdshow for all VC-1 media and opened up Drillbit Taylor's main movie file, 00000.m2ts in Media Player Classic and it played just fine. Hope this is more clear than my previous post. I'm not on my computer with ffdshow but if you want more detail, just ask! :)

Yeah, but if you chose to play the original disc wouldn't you have needed to select libavcodec anyway? Otherwise, it won't play right? That's fairly consistent. You need to chose the proper codec to play both the original disc and the ripped files using the exact same playback software.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, the original disc plays fine in Powerdvd with Anydvd enabled. The ripped files do not. Why would the wrong codec (or a crappy one) be chosen by Powerdvd for the ripped files--but not for the original disc? I've never encountered this, so I'm pretty interested.

Last edited:
But he's not playing it as a full disc from the ISO, but just playing the M2TS files from inside the mounted ISO or that's the impression I'm getting which means it can be using a different codec

Yeah, but if you chose to play the original disc wouldn't you have needed to select libavcodec anyway? Otherwise, it won't play right? That's fairly consistent. You need to chose the proper codec to play both the original disc and the ripped files using the exact same playback software.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, the original disc plays fine in Powerdvd with Anydvd enabled. The ripped files do not. Why would the wrong codec (or a crappy one) be chosen by Powerdvd for the ripped files--but not for the original disc? I've never encountered this, so I'm pretty interested.

This is just a guess, but for instance, PowerDVD in my XP machine for some reason selects AC3 Filter when outputting from S/PDIF when I play dvr-ms files, but when I play DVDs, it does not, even though both use the AC-3 format. It might select different filters for different type of content, even if they are the same format. Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Anyway, the OP is using PowerDVD, and toycamryj is using MPC. I don't think you can use MPC to play HD discs (yet?), so the comparison is pretty much invalid unless I missed something.

It might select different filters for different type of content, even if they are the same format. Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
This is just a guess, but for instance, PowerDVD in my XP machine for some reason selects AC3 Filter when outputting from S/PDIF when I play dvr-ms files, but when I play DVDs, it does not, even though both use the AC-3 format. It might select different filters for different type of content, even if they are the same format. Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Anyway, the OP is using PowerDVD, and toycamryj is using MPC. I don't think you can use MPC to play HD discs (yet?), so the comparison is pretty much invalid unless I missed something.

LOL! Alright, I have the whole movie of Drillbit Taylor sitting here on my computer.
His first post he says "The .m2ts files are green on playback, a very obvious sign that they are still encrypted."
Then later he posts, "I tried to play them (referring to the .m2ts files) with Nero showtime. M2TS files from another copied disc played fine, so I know Nero Showtime works."
He keeps referring to playing just the .m2ts files and in different programs, which is why I suggest the codec issue.
PowerDVD will play only the 00000.m2ts file from this movie as well as Media Player Classic.
I'm not sure what you mean by, saying MPC can't be used to play HD discs? MPC very well can be used to play their media files, which are basically the movie, .m2ts. It doesn't play the menu...of course.

I have ffdshow installed and graphedit. I am running Vista SP1 on this machine.
By default, PowerDVD will play the 00000.m2ts, main movie file for Drillbit Taylor, perfectly, audio and video. Using graphedit it tells me WMVideo Decoder DMO is being used as the Video Decoder. Now, if I open the exact same file, 00000.m2ts, from Drillbit Taylor in MPC, it plays the audio, but the video gives a complete green screen.
I fixed this by, changing the decoder from, my default of WMVideo Decoder DMO, to libavcodec in ffdshow, that now in graphedit shows, ffdshow Video Decoder. Once this change has been made, the same 00000.m2ts file from Drillbit Taylor, will now play in MPC with full video and audio, no more green screen. It also still plays in PowerDVD using the ffdshow video decoder.
Hopefully that makes more sense and fills in any gapes I left. I only offer this because I can get the green screen to appear that he is describing when playing this movie's .m2ts file. And this is how I was able to remedy it for my setup. :)

Last edited:
Hmm some confusion. I was responding to Webslinger, so I said your comparison was invalid in the context of his comments. I think what you say might be useful to the OP, especially this last post. I don't know if we can predict or control now what PowerDVD will use as a filter as much as we can with MPC, though.

By saying MPC can't play HD discs, I mean it can't play them as a disc, with menus and all, taking in mind the disc structure, selecting HD audio tracks, etc. This might make a difference with PowerDVD about which filters it chooses, as per my experience with AC-3 content in XP, but I'm not 100% sure, my XP installation is pretty corrupt, I've been meaning to reinstall everything but are just too lazy, I have so many programs installed that even pretending to remember what I have to reinstall gives me a headache.

But he's not playing it as a full disc from the ISO, but just playing the M2TS files from inside the mounted ISO or that's the impression I'm getting which means it can be using a different codec

I used ImgBurn to create the iso file of the files that anydvdhd ripped. ALways worked before with other discs. I mount with daemon tools, which also has worked previously. Whther I play the disc mounted in powerdvd or try to play the m2ts file directly, I get same issue. Now, I tried using grapehedit to map the m2ts file (haali media splitter ->windows DMO), then write a short .avs script and play that in windows media player, same issue, green all over, and once in a while a full frame comes through normal. That's 3 different methods to play back the movie and/or m2ts file directly, all with same issue. Of note, all 3 methods work fine on other bluray discs, so I'm at a loss here!

I will look into this libavcodec and ffdshow thing and see if I get some better results. Thank you for the information.

Last edited:
Back