• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Download speed relation to Playback speed

REDFOX10001

What is the relationship between the download speed setting and the multiple of realtime speed? Why not just throttle by percentage?

Does realtime speed refer to playback speed?

Could adjusting that setting have any negative impact, other than upon available bandwidth?

Why is the default set to 4x and not unlimited?

If this has been asked please point me to it, thanks.

What is the relationship between the download speed setting and the multiple of realtime speed? Why not just throttle by percentage?
Percentage of what? Your line bandwith? How should AnyStream know about that?

Does realtime speed refer to playback speed?
Yes

Could adjusting that setting have any negative impact, other than upon available bandwidth?
The time you need to download, obviously. But that's not necessarily a negative effect.

Why is the default set to 4x and not unlimited?
Why not 1x? Does it matter? You can change that any time, even during download.
My guess is, it's throttled to 4x, so ppl won't experience the effects of connection performance dropping if set to unlimited and the line is maxed out.

Percentage of what? Your line bandwith? How should AnyStream know about that?

That's a good question too, but I don't know how. I see you're point about the percentage, so maybe a set bandwidth cap would have been a more appropriate suggestion.

Multiples don't really indicate much to the layman(me) about the throttle impact. If the choices were set bandwidth caps of say 1Mbps 5Mbps, 50Mbps, unlimited, than as a user I know what that means and how it impacts my available bandwidth.

In any case, I thought the way it was designed using multiples is an elegant and interesting way to do it, Kudos to the developer. I was just curious about that design decision.

Why not 1x? Does it matter?

I'll expand on that... if one desired the fastest download speed, and the default is limited to 4x by default, then one starts to wonder why... like is using unlimited dangerous in some way, or it was just to protect/shape the out-of-box user experience?

Having settings with reduced speed is very important I'd say.. for one protecting yourself from unwanted behavior towards providers cause really no subscriber watches movies in 5 minutes, secondly so that you also can work/browse and do other things while downloading or do other things on your network, like playing Xbox for instance which I personally can't when set to unlimited .. I'd actually would like to see an x3 option as well as I sometimes find x2 bit slow and x4 to fast, also an x3 option would probably correlate better with my own quota deduction, meaning I could set each download more in par at 36 minutes .. a percentage slider wouldn't be such an bad idea either, let's say scaled in 5 or 10 units so you could fine tune a bit more

I'll expand on that... if one desired the fastest download speed, and the default is limited to 4x by default, then one starts to wonder why... like is using unlimited dangerous in some way, or it was just to protect/shape the out-of-box user experience?

If you browse the forum you will find some threads where ppl wonder why they can't surf the internet or like BoomKapoow can't play while downloading with AnyStream (with unlimited speed).
To prevent that kind of question, the default is set to 4x

I can only speak for myself, but if I'm unhappy with the download speed, first thing I do is search the program for download settings.
If one desired the fastest download speed, he/she is probably doing the same ... the setting isn't really hard to find ;)

Back