Don't let children play with Blu-ray discs

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by roog, Jun 23, 2007.

1. roog

roog Well-Known Member

This disclaimer should be printed on the outside of every Blu-ray disc package:

WARNING - Do not let children play with Blu-ray discs because even the slightest scratch may render them useless. Also, Blu-ray discs must be used in a completely dust-free environment or the same result may occur. Accidentally touching or dropping your Blu-ray disc on the reflective side, will void its warranty, as well as, the ability to be viewed on any known player.

2. Octavean

Octavean Well-Known Member

So, I’m guessing you had a bad experience?

3. roog

roog Well-Known Member

I've had many more problems with Blu-ray than I have with HD DVD.

4. dadkins

dadkins Member

Uhm... get a better Blu-ray player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ

Use AnyDVD and make a backup?

Put the investment in a place that kids can't grab them and use them for sidewalk toys?

*ANY* disc can be destroyed ... not just Blu-rays! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  5. roog

roog Well-Known Member

The problems are duplicated on more than one player.

I was being facetious about the kid thing.

I've had multiple occurrences of Blu-rays that are unreadable after minor handling damage but almost no problems with HD DVD.

6. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

There might be an explanation:
    1.) Smaller distance between the data layer and the surface
    2.) Smaller distance between surface and laser lens
    meaning
    Dirt & scratches are likely to be more "in focus" as with DVD and HD DVD, as the data layer you focus the laser is very close to the dirt / scratch on the surface.
    To prevent scratches BD uses the highly scratch resistant coating... I hope it works well.
    With DVD / HD DVD scratches / dirt are more out of focus, as the distance between scratch and the data is bigger (if the scratch / dirt isn't too big, of course)
    3.) Higher data density (which would be difficult to achive with the higher distance that HD DVD uses)
    4.) If the disc is not absolutely plain you will probably get more errors than with HD DVD (if it doesn't crash the lens of your laser).

7. roog

roog Well-Known Member

Thanks for elaborating the issues.

8. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

And I didn't even mention this time, that IMHO Blu-ray sucks. :D

9. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

It's officially said now though? :D

10. MarkRacer

MarkRacer Well-Known Member

Damn, now you tell me after making a PS3 purchase. I guess I won't be making any BD selections anytime soon. Now I feel all blue:confused:

:bowdown:WE'RE NOT WORTHY:bowdown:
    SLYSOFT is the SHIZNIT!!!!

11. roog

roog Well-Known Member

Use your PS3 for games, buy or build a HTPC for movies.

Backup your Blu-ray and HD DVD movies and play them from the HTPC.

The reality is, for now, that you need both formats to get all the movies you want.

Once you get a Blu-ray backed up, often after having to exchange it, put it away for safe keeping.

If you have a choice, always buy HD DVD.

12. Peer

Peer Redfox Development Team Staff Member

I was perplexed. How did you hold yourself back? This is not the James I know :D

13. MarkRacer

MarkRacer Well-Known Member

That's my general plan. I only purchased the PS3 for games anyway and not for the BD capability. Hell, I don't even own the first Blu-ray movie at this point. I'm sure to move from the standard stuff to either HD or BD sometime in the near future. Time will tell all about the format wars...

:bowdown::bowdown:WE'RE NOT WORTHY:bowdown::bowdown:
    SLYSOFT is the SHIZNIT!!!

14. Galileo2000

Galileo2000 Well-Known Member

Good thing I only have HD DVD equipment and movies :D

15. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Unless BluRay wins the format?

16. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

By then a BluRay player will be less than 300 bucks USD, so, if it wins, those of us supporting only HD-DVD will consider moving to BluRay...IF it wins. That won't happen for quite a while, however.

17. Galileo2000

Galileo2000 Well-Known Member

And what would be the definition of the victory?

To me no more movies are released in the losing format would be the sign. And I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Of course there are movies such as Pirates I would like to have. But you know what, there aren't too many of them. and I can have the SD DVD at 1080i, ZP or MPC and ffdshow. Not a bad picture.

18. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

That's my definition, as well. And as a result, we're a LONG ways away from that happening. However, as I've said numerous times, I TRULY wish the studios would play fair, release all their titles on both formats, and let the consumer choose. What does Sony have to fear if BluRay truly is the better technology? HAHAHAHAHA.

19. roog

roog Well-Known Member

HD DVD is more durable

I just got a used HD DVD that looked like someone had used it for a skateboard. I knew I was taking a chance but, guess what, it ripped fine without any cleaning. There's no way it would have worked if it had been a Blu-ray disc.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  20. roog

roog Well-Known Member

Buy the discs and get a friend with a Blu-ray drive to copy them to DVD-DL discs using FileSplitter. It takes about 5 or 6 for each movie. Then you can enjoy them without having to buy a Blu-ray drive or player.