• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Not a RedFox Issue Does AnyStream also do playback of downloaded content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Lord

So before I get a ton of irrelevant answers yes I understand anystream allows me to DL streaming content I have access to for watching later when it is convenient for me in an unprotected MP4.

What I am asking is if I can use anystream as a UI allowing me to also playback the content either by automatically calling a second program or playing it directly. Why would I want to do this?

I still use WMC as an interface for My Movies and DVD/BD collection. To access streaming services I have a clunky setup where a WMC option takes me to a kiosk mode browser with the streaming site open. This has the benefit of generally working. However, depending on browser quality of audio and picture is effected not to mention some of the streaming sites are beginning to block even recently updated browsers. I am trying to find a way to keep the party going as it were. If I can select a season to dl and then come back and watch it in a nicely organized way all through the same interface that would be fantastic. TIA!

No. AS does not play anything.

Since you talk about a nicely organized way with the same interface, did you take a look at Plex, Emby etc? Some people here use it and they will surely give you tips etc if you have questions about these programs.
Personally, I just open the Explorer and play with VLC. (Yes people say MPC-HC is/might be better, but I haven't tested it yet and some artifacts when pause/play aside, I have no issues).

These are .mp4 videos, you can play them or cast them to your TV, or put them on a USB stick and play them on your TV if your TV has a USB port. Most smart TVs support playback of USB video files, but the file format you use will determine whether it will work. Most TVs recognize the MP4, AVI, and MKV format

No, AS is no media center and will most likely not integrate into anything.

+1 for the recomennded Plex or Emby. I personally use Emby as a centralized media server and organizer and find it highly convenient.

No, AS does not do playback of downloaded content.

There is a cataloging app, EMDB (Eric's Movie Database), that does allow for playback of AS downloads with the system default player when the content is properly cataloged. It is a free app. My system default player for MP4 files is VLC.

I use the app to catalog my DVD/BD collection and my AS downloads. Movies and TV series.

I watch AS content on my PC, I don't "take it everywhere."

AnyStream does not playback video, only download. There are plenty of great options for playing movies and shows downloaded with AnyStream. There are straightforward video players like VLC, and home theater apps like Kodi. I personally run a Plex Media Server because it allows me to playback/stream the videos on any device that has a Plex app, including PCs, smart phones, game consoles, streaming sticks like Chromecast or Apple TV, smart TVs, etc. Essentially allows me to run my own personal streaming service where I am in total control of what's hosted on it. I don't have experience with them, but there are other similar media servers such as Emby and Jellyfin that seem to be popular as well.

Much like what is available in web browsers ("show in folder"), I would be happy if there were an option to show the folder where the downloaded video was saved. This would save having to click through the various directory structures.

Much like what is available in web browsers ("show in folder"), I would be happy if there were an option to show the folder where the downloaded video was saved. This would save having to click through the various directory structures.
As you wish:
1711734063156.png

There should be a Popup after each download that let's you jump into the download folder

No, AS is no media center and will most likely not integrate into anything.

+1 for the recomennded Plex or Emby. I personally use Emby as a centralized media server and organizer and find it highly convenient.
It does not have a media center but most newer smart TVs have a built-in Media Center, in my LG OLED C2, all I have to do is cast them or put the .mp4s on a USB drive and I can watch as many movies as I like,

There should be a Popup after each download that let's you jump into the download folder

That doesn't even work. It opens the wrong directory, and I was expecting the file to be highlighted, like with a web browser.

I think this thread is going off-topic, AnyStream does not playback files of downloaded content. The download folder is easy enough to find. It's in the video document folder. Changing the default download folder to wherever you like is easy enough.

Thanks for all the replies. For some reason I never received an email notice indicating that new replies had been posted. I have looked at Plex and some other media center substitutes but haven't found anything that works well for my needs. I basically backup my DVD/BD collection as ISO files on a NAS and then can access the movies from any number of HTPCs I have around the house (e.g. I don't have to go upstairs to get a DVD to play for the kids in the basement). The center piece to this has been WMC w/ MyMovies and for this singular purpose my setup works perfectly. Streaming has been kludged on and initially worked reasonably well so that everything was under one interface. However, with the constant push for unneeded upgrades it is slowly unraveling. Really, do I need a 60 core 10GHz processor with 50gb of RAM to run Win 11 so I can stream Netflix? I exaggerate but it isn't as if streaming requires some high level processing now a days vs. 10 years ago. But I digress.... I will reexamine Plex and will look into Emby. If anyone has suggestions I am all ears. TIA!

I'm afraid, Plex is out of the game then ... can't play ISO files
IMO playing ISOs is just annoying, all this trailer and warning screen stuff, I'd like to play my videos right away ... but that's just me, and Plex does that mighty fine for me
:giggle:

I'm afraid, Plex is out of the game then ... can't play ISO files
IMO playing ISOs is just annoying, all this trailer and warning screen stuff, I'd like to play my videos right away ... but that's just me, and Plex does that mighty fine for me
:giggle:
I second the Plex vote. I only want the main feature on my Plex server. But if I want to know anything else about the movie/TV series I grab the disc of the movie and or TV since most of what I have is on physical media. And there is always the Internet if I don't have the disc.

, do I need a 60 core 10GHz processor with 50gb of RAM to run Win 11 so I can stream Netflix
No, you do not. 50Gb/s of RAM is not right. Computer RAM is often in multiples of 8 because computers use binary numbers to address memory and other functions. A bit is the smallest unit of information a computer can work with, and it can have a value of 0 or 1. In most modern computers, 8 is the standard number of bits in a byte. Using powers of 2 allows hardware to use 100% of the registers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back