• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Do I need a Blu-ray drive?

R

rokonn

I have AnyDVD HD and I have a standalone Blu-ray player. Is there anyway to connect the player to my computer so that I can use AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD to make a backup copy of my Blu-Ray discs, or do I have to have a Blu-Ray player installed in my computer?

I have AnyDVD HD and I have a standalone Blu-ray player. Is there anyway to connect the player to my computer so that I can use AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD to make a backup copy of my Blu-Ray discs, or do I have to have a Blu-Ray player installed in my computer?

you need a blu-ray in your computer.

I have AnyDVD HD loaded but when I insert the BD it is not recognized by AnyDVD. Must I have an internal BD drive to be able to create an ISO? Do I need a writeable internal BD to back backups of my BD movies?

I have AnyDVD HD loaded but when I insert the BD it is not recognized by AnyDVD. Must I have an internal BD drive to be able to create an ISO? Do I need a writeable internal BD to back backups of my BD movies?

Do not post in nor create multiple threads about the same thing please. Click the link in my signature, and read fully. Thank you.

It seems to me that you've asked this question before and been answered.

Yes, you need a blu-ray drive to read blu-rays. You need a blu-ray writer to make backups.

BD Drive

I have not posted this question before since I only got a BD player 2 days ago. I have used AnyDVD for about a year with complete success. I am sorry if I offended someone for asking a question. If that is normal I will stay off your forum.

I have not posted this question before since I only got a BD player 2 days ago.

Your getting a player 2 days ago doesn't change the answer that you need a Blu-ray drive to read Blu-rays on your computer.

On Dec 10, you ask,

rokonn said:
Is there anyway to connect the player to my computer so that I can use AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD to make a backup copy of my Blu-Ray discs, or do I have to have a Blu-Ray player installed in my computer?

On Dec. 10th, you receive a reply:

mrr19121970 said:
you need a blu-ray in your computer

14 days later you ask again,

rokonn said:
I have AnyDVD HD loaded but when I insert the BD it is not recognized by AnyDVD.Must I have an internal BD drive to be able to create an ISO? Do I need a writeable internal BD to back backups of my BD movies?

The answer is again that you need a Blu-ray drive to read Blu-rays on your computer, and Anydvd HD does require a Blu-ray drive in your computer. Also, Clonedvd doesn't support Blu-rays nor HD-DVDs

I am sorry if I offended someone for asking a question.

That's not the problem. The problem is you posted in a completely unrelated thread. You also posted what is essentially the same question in two different threads. Again, please read the link in my signature, and read fully.
In the future, if you have a problem, please create a thread (instead of responding to one) and remain in it for all related questions involving the same subject or problem. This generally makes troubleshooting much easier instead of people having to search around in multiple threads that you've posted in. Thank you

Last edited:
BD drive

If you will notice the other user is ROKKON not ROKONN.

That's waaaaayyy to funny of a coincidence. When the mods check your IP and find the usernames came from the same computer wha will your excuse be then?

If you will notice the other user is ROKKON not ROKONN.

The only person asking questions about Blu-ray drives in this thread is you.

I moved your posts from two separate threads into this one.

Are you saying that someone is using your forum account without permission?

Bd drive

It is obvious, at least to me, that someone else is logging onto my account. If you will please delete the rokonn account I will create a new one if I ever need to get on again. You may find it cuuuurrrrious but I don't find it amusing. I got the player for XMAS and don't even have any blu-ray disks yet.

2 different people who supposidly don't even know eachothr post almost identically worded questions....LOL.

It seems to me that you've asked this question before and been answered.

Yes, you need a blu-ray drive to read blu-rays. You need a blu-ray writer to make backups.

I'm confused by this exchange. I'm contemplating purchase of AnyDVD (before Dec. 31!) for an arrival-in-January LG BE06LU11 external USB R/W (for a Thinkpad T61p) . mrr19121970 said you need a BD drive "in your computer". Rokonn then specifically asked "must I have an internal BD drive" (to make an ISO etc.)? Actually, that question had neither been asked nor answered, at least in this thread -- it woke me up! The USB drive I bought is "external" but obviously a "local drive". Can AnyDVD handle it? If not, why not, in a technical sense? Do you need to be attached directly to the internal harness/controller? Thank you.

Rokonn then specifically asked "must I have an internal BD drive" (to make an ISO etc.)? Actually, that question had neither been asked nor answered

:confused: Rokonn is referring to a standalone blu-ray player. That's a pretty big distinction.

Rokonn said:
I have AnyDVD HD and I have a standalone Blu-ray player. Is there anyway to connect the player to my computer so that I can use AnyDVD HD

The answer is "not very easily" (no).

Rokonn said:
I have AnyDVD HD loaded but when I insert the BD it is not recognized by AnyDVD.

My response to this would be that Anydvd HD doesn't work with standalone blu-ray players, which was
basically the same response that was given before.

Rokonn said:
I have not posted this question before since I only got a BD player 2 days ago.

So, it appears to me that Rokonn is still asking about a standalone blu-ray player. The entire situation concerning Rokonn's posts (especially if Rokonn's account was hijacked) is confusing. If Rokonn's posts are about standalone blu-ray players, then your question is entirely different, rajah2.

rajah2 said:
The USB drive I bought is "external" but obviously a "local drive". Can AnyDVD handle it? If not, why not, in a technical sense? Do you need to be attached directly to the internal harness/controller? Thank you.

An external Blu-ray drive should work fine with Anydvd HD, but external drives in general tend to be more problematic. That said, they should work fine.

Last edited:
Rokonn is referring to a standalone blu-ray player..

That was his first question, duly answered. His second question was "must I have an internal BD drive", and you responded "you've asked this question before and been answered". Seems to me they're wholly different questions. But... not to quibble. I simply wanted a tighter definition of mrr19121970's "you need a blu-ray in your computer" and your "you need a Blu-ray drive ... on your computer". Semantics.

So thanks for the rapid reassurance. May I ask what problems "in general" tend to afflict external drives? Cabling? Bus speed? If you are ripping to HD, and not copying "on-the-fly" to BR, speed should not be an issue (I'd suppose).

In any case, time to purchase AnyDVD, by Wednesday -- I want those perpetual free upgrades!:)

His second question was "must I have an internal BD drive", and you responded "you've asked this question before and been answered". Seems to me they're wholly different questions.

I find the questions similar, especially if the second question is predicated by not knowing whether a standalone player can be used with Anydvd. I interpreted a binary distinction being made between standalone player/internal drive. But I can't say I really care anymore either . . .

May I ask what problems "in general" tend to afflict external drives?

Well, with usb drives, in some cases motherboards don't allow for enough power to be going to usb ports properly (in those cases external powered usb hubs are useful). This problem arises more often with laptops. A lot of external drives come with their own power supplies though. Sometimes with other interfaces there can be issues with drivers . . .
Anyway, external drives can present potential problems. Regardless, Anydvd should work fine with external blu-ray drives.

Last edited:
An external Blu-ray drive would have to come with it's own power Supply as there just wouldn't be enough power to run the drive through bus power alone.
I've been using a Sony Blu-ray writer in an external caddy connected to my laptop through USB for nearly 2 years now and all works fine with AnyDVD HD. LG actually make a USB external version of there Blu-ray writer which I've also tested out and had no problems with

Back