• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

discs, storage devices, rambling discussion

Especially since BD-R (25gb) are getting cheaper all the time.

Still really expensive... and most my movies are dual layer (50gb), and the media can cost more than the movie itself in some cases. Absolutely no way I would do that...

Still really expensive... and most my movies are dual layer (50gb), and the media can cost more than the movie itself in some cases. Absolutely no way I would do that...
That's why he said 'movie only' most movies will fit on a single layer BD-r once you remove the extra audio and menu's etc and unless you buy Original discs in a sale even DL BD-r's are cheaper than buying a second copy of the movie. I get mine for around £7.50 each off ebay, and if I buy in bulk I can pick up BD-r SL's for less than £2 each

It seems DL prices have dropped a tiny bit but not much, I think that is still a very expensive proposition when you put all the costs in perspective. I get the feeling that BD-R media is being kept expensive on purpose to try and stifle piracy... that is really lame for us legitimate movie owners.

DL discs are now half the price they were last year, and last year they were half the price of the year before. Look at DL DVD's it took years for those to drop down to a decent price. Prices start to drop when it become economically viable to mass produce in large quantities, which is why SL discs always drop down so low first

if you have a fast computer "BD rebuilder" works great http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716 you can re-encode any move with HD audio to fit on a BD-25 disc. If you can live with 448 DD you can fit it on a BD-9 (DVD DL) it's beta software so it has a few issues

Too much trouble for me. I would simply split the movie to two discs.

but it works great.I'm still not burning any disc.I use it to create more HD space. Lucky for me I set up a computer just for encodes

if you have a fast computer "BD rebuilder" works great http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716 you can re-encode any move with HD audio to fit on a BD-25 disc. If you can live with 448 DD you can fit it on a BD-9 (DVD DL) it's beta software so it has a few issues

Huh?? What is 448 DD? I've never heard that term and don't know what it means.

Wouldn't anything that compresses the video to a smaller file size technically be reducing the quality?

In fact I do have a powerful computer -- Core i7 920 at 4GHz with HT and an nvidia GTX280.

Wouldn't anything that compresses the video to a smaller file size technically be reducing the quality?
Not just technically. With video, it is often reduced visibly. But I guess it can be good enough that you couldn't tell unless you look really close or do a side-by-side comparison.

It also depends on the format of the original video, If the original is mpeg2 you can easily re-encode to a smaller file in H264 with no loss of picture.

Very general or old school rule or guideline:

No more than 10% to 15% compression and the human eye can not see a difference in the video quality, especially if the HDTV screen size is less than 50 inches.

Some web sites for cheap BD-R (single layer) at warehouse discounts.

http://www.rima.com
http://www.mediamegamall.com
:agree:

It's wandered wildly OT, but I'll throw in my tuppence worth...

I've got boxes and boxes of DVDs stacked up in the corner. I can never find the one I want (original or copy). I'm not going down that road with my BDs, I've got ca 9tb on my TVIX jukebox (and this week probably another 1 or 2tb more). It doesn't matter to me if the blank cost a penny or a pound. If you can't find it you can't find it. 1tb esata is 95 euro and getting cheaper by the day.

...or wait for for Fernando to finnish CloneBD. The elapsed time is more or less the same as using BD rebuilder. :p

I can do 2 or 3 films a night using BD-rebuilder or 2 Discs from a TV season

@mrr

For you boxes and boxes of DVD stacked up in the closet.

Get either one standard size bookcase, or one large DVD bookcase. Four to six feet tall. Use standard size CD cases so you can print on the splines and pictures on the front and back of the standard size CD cases.

Put them in order from A TO Z. No more time needed to find DVD's you want than 20 seconds (max) standard definition spline color is in black and Blu-ray spline color is in red.

:D

Also, makes a good reason to get an Epson photo printer RX595 CD & DVD blank white disk printer and copier for birthday or Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have to be having a midlife crisis to put your films in order to make it easier to find them

Back