• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DEP breaks Blu-ray playback (aka another reason why Vi(ru)sta sucks!)

Mine are clean installs, with various intel cpu's (C2D's C2Q's Dual Xeon Systems, laptops) using various makes of Mobo and ATI and Nvidia graphics cards

Both Rocky & Juno have no issues on my end on playing as you described.

FYI I have installed ImgBurn without a previous install (not an upgrade) and the opposite (an upgrade) on a bunch of systems using intel and amd CPU's with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate both 32bit and 64bit (Ultimate only on 64bit) and have never had DEP complain. In fact I installed it on this system two days ago after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64bit. I upgraded the CPU, memory & MB so I reinstalled everything.

DEP cont'd

It's supposed to only stops those exe files that may be accessing things in windows that may be a security risk which is why you don't have to add every exe file, only those that may cause a risk.

The other way around.

Executables that may be considered a security risk, will cause problems no matter what, unless you run them under a less privileged account. A process which runs with admin rights can rule over all other processes. A process which runs with guest privs can only disturb other processes with guest privs. Vista goes to great lengths to not elevate unless it absolutely has to. But that is UAC's domain, not DEP!

DEP will protect memory pages so that they can't be written to. Nothing more, nothing less. It cares not about processes or threads. It is all about memory and what it is being used for. (see VirtualProtectEx(): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366899(VS.85).aspx)

Other processes (with same or higher access level) can easily mark a read-only page as writable. So malicious code running with admin privs...: You are screwed. (first infuse code into the target process, and then have that code do anything you care for -- but usually there is little point, because the malicious code will have gained no further elevation from such an action and don't need to bother!)

The main benefit is protecting browsers (and other internet clients) that often run into various buffer overflow attacks. Buffer overflows attempts to flood an unprotected buffer so that it overflows into memory containing executable code. Hit the right spot, and Bob's your uncle. With DEP enabled, the pages containing code are protected and the user's system remains unbreachable. The browser will crash though... (unless the exception is caught)

But... DEP can also be triggered by simple bugs within the application itself. Which is a very likely scenario when Cyberlink's products are involved.

It is a very bad move to disable DEP.

@bikedude: but the point is that the rest of us posting here aren't having any problems with any of these bits of software and DEP so we're trying to find out why his system does. Blaming PowerDVD isn't very helpful when the rest of us don't have the problem, What were trying to discover is why it happens on his system and not ours using the same software as we are

@bikedude: but the point is that the rest of us posting here aren't having any problems with any of these bits of software and DEP so we're trying to find out why his system does. Blaming PowerDVD isn't very helpful when the rest of us don't have the problem, What were trying to discover is why it happens on his system and not ours using the same software as we are

It's also important to note that there are two different DEP issues.

The first one is the one that blocked my ability to install Imgburn.
-That one I completely get. DEP didn't like "something" Imgburn was doing during the install. No worries. I trust Imgburn, so I disable DEP for that app. All nice and logical.

The second, is DEP blocking (at least 7, 7.3, and Total Media) from running BD content on my machine (with 2 separate installs of vista) (after I had to turn DEP "on for all apps", just to exclude the above mentioned installer)
-That one is my gripe. If DEP didn't like PowerDVD, Total Media, whatever, then it should have said something. Not just silently killed one function of one app.

I'm curious to see the results of the following

1) PowerDVD 8 with DEP turned on (for all apps) and PowerDVD not excluded.
-We got the result of that from Adbear's earlier test. PowerDVD 8 appears to not launch at all with DEP turned on for all apps.

2) PowerDVD 7.3.whatever.version PowerDVD forces you to install to play the vast majority of new titles (in my case that's 7.3.4102b.0), with DEP turned "on for all apps", and PowerDVD not excluded.
-On my machine that's a no go. On others??

Last edited:
OK, I think I figured out what causes the main problem. I've started with a clean system, with the latest PowerDVD 7.3 and 8 installed. With DEP set to default everything works fine. With DEP set for all programs with no exceptions, both versions of PowerDVD open. But here's what seems to be causing the problem, discs with Java menu's (mummy returns, signs etc) don't go any further, but discs with basic menu's seem to play fine. If you then add PowerDVD to the DEP list everything then works fine. So it seems to be when it's accessing Java for the menu's that seems to cause the problem

OK, I think I figured out what causes the main problem. I've started with a clean system, with the latest PowerDVD 7.3 and 8 installed. With DEP set to default everything works fine. With DEP set for all programs with no exceptions, both versions of PowerDVD open. But here's what seems to be causing the problem, discs with Java menu's (mummy returns, signs etc) don't go any further, but discs with basic menu's seem to play fine. If you then add PowerDVD to the DEP list everything then works fine. So it seems to be when it's accessing Java for the menu's that seems to cause the problem

Nice detective work. :clap: I'm not sure if I would have had the patience for that one.

well it only took me around 5 mins to figure it out, once I realised exactly where it was stopping I realised it had to be the java menus so I then just double checked it to be certain, although I still don't know why his doesn't work with DEP set to the default setting. Luckily as I build systems I always have clean systems to play with

well it only took me around 5 mins to figure it out, once I realised exactly where it was stopping I realised it had to be the java menus so I then just double checked it to be certain,

Brilliant! So in my case, all my test DVDs were java based it appears.
I suspected something with the menus (early on), and tried to jack with them somewhat, but I just couldn't put the pieces together relative to java and my BD library is fairly limited currently.

Nice work! :clap:

although I still don't know why his doesn't work with DEP set to the default setting. Luckily as I build systems I always have clean systems to play with

Mine worked just fine with DEP in its default setting "on only for OS files", the only reason I needed to deviate from the default was to install Imgburn.

If you have any BBC HD Blu-rays try those, I tested with Ganges and Earth the Biography, and they worked as they don't use Java menu's

If you have any BBC HD Blu-rays try those, I tested with Ganges and Earth the Biography, and they worked as they don't use Java menu's

I don't have any of those, but I'll queue them up on Netflix and report the results back (gonna be a couple of days), but I feel fairly certain you're correct.

I'll also see if I can borrow some more BD dvds for now and see. I assume the lack of a BDJO directory is a good indicator (or maybe JAR)?

Last edited:
Yep, that seems to be a good indicator, just check to see if it has a BDJO folder and check to see if there's anything in it, if it's empty or missing then it should play

I wonder if your ImgBurn installer was corrupt somehow and that is why it triggered DEP.

It's not a Cyberlink issue, it's all to do with the Java in the menu's and that happens across the board, but it only happens if you change from the default DEP setting which you shouldn't really need to do anyway

but it only happens if you change from the default DEP setting which you shouldn't really need to do anyway

I'm not sure I'd make that blanket of a statement :)
Obviously I had to do it as did he. There are several legit reasons why you'd need to make DEP exceptions. Not the least of which installing "older" software.

If your vista htpc is a "media only" setup you're absolutely correct.
If you use it for more than that, it's just a matter of time before you need to do it.

Last edited:
Well so far I've never needed to do it and my systems are definitely not media only systems, although I tend to use new software and not old outdated stuff

Well so far I've never needed to do it and my systems are definitely not media only systems, although I tend to use new software and not old outdated stuff

c'est la vie - :D

I've had several apps anger the great DEP gods...

Back