• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DEP breaks Blu-ray playback (aka another reason why Vi(ru)sta sucks!)

It's supposed to only stops those exe files that may be accessing things in windows that may be a security risk which is why you don't have to add every exe file, only those that may cause a risk. Also like we've already stated it doesn't do any of this on ours which is why we've been trying to find out what may have been causing it on yours

geomz, maybe you might want to contact Cyberlink and display your displeasure?

I would, if I thought it would achieve anything. From previous posts, I've seen with other people's experience with Cyberlink, they've been less than useful :)

I also had this problem with Total Media Theater, so it might not be Cyberlink's fault anyway?

But it might not hurt to at least send an email.

Last edited:
It's supposed to only stops those exe files that may be accessing things in windows that may be a security risk which is why you don't have to add every exe file, only those that may cause a risk. Also like we've already stated it doesn't do any of this on ours which is why we've been trying to find out what may have been causing it on yours

Curious... So if you turn DEP on (for all apps), don't exclude the BD apps, and reboot your BD playback still works?

Geomz, you are new to this board. We have experienced a lot of differnt issues with the varing different software solutions out there for Blu-ray playback for both XP and Vista. Adbear is simply tring to figure out why you needed to turn DEP off. One of the major reasons for DEP conflict has been older versions of PDVD7. IF you were using PDVD8, I do not believe that you would have experienced an issue.

Now, I have had DEP close apps before. The reason has always been that the app was written poorly, or had a bug in it. Not Vista is the bug or virus.

So far people have been asking you questions, and from my point of view you are taking them as attacks. Well, you calling Vista Vi(ru)sta doesn't help yourself here.

Geomz, you are new to this board. We have experienced a lot of differnt issues with the varing different software solutions out there for Blu-ray playback for both XP and Vista. Adbear is simply tring to figure out why you needed to turn DEP off. One of the major reasons for DEP conflict has been older versions of PDVD7. IF you were using PDVD8, I do not believe that you would have experienced an issue.

Now, I have had DEP close apps before. The reason has always been that the app was written poorly, or had a bug in it. Not Vista is the bug or virus.

So far people have been asking you questions, and from my point of view you are taking them as attacks. Well, you calling Vista Vi(ru)sta doesn't help yourself here.

My opinion of Vista is just that, my opinion. I don't see why anyone would take offense to my calling Vista a virus :)
In my experience, it's a horrible operating system, but Media Center for Vista is a fantastic product (thus why I'm using Vista). Again all my opinion. Yours may be different :)

In addition, I do believe this IS a Vista problem. I've had the same problems (also resolved) with Total Media Theater as well as several builds of PowerDVD, including 8 (on the original image). I have since removed 8 so I can't say for certain if DEP breaks that version, but so far it breaks

-7 (as it came with my drive, I no longer have it installed since I now have 7.3)
-7.3 - the latest available build from Cyberlink (which is mandatory to play a lot of titles). PowerDVD only reports it as 7.3 and nothing else.
-Total Media Theater

Curious... So if you turn DEP on (for all apps), don't exclude the BD apps, and reboot your BD playback still works?
No, PowerDVD 8 then doesn't start up until I add it to the list. It doesn't stop BD playback it stops the whole piece of software from opening but when you consider all the parts of windows that it burrows into it's not surprising that windows stops it from starting until it's excluded which is exactly what I was saying in my post. But if I leave DEP on it's default setting it has no problem, same with the install and usage of Imgburn which you also seemed to be having a problem with.
PowerDVD does tell you the build number, you need to open PowerDVD, right click and choose 'about', then click on your name under 'This product is licensed to' you'll then get a whole load of information in there, usually it's the number next to DVD Version that we want to know.

I've had no problems with any versions of PowerDVD under Vista Home, Premium, Business or Ultimate. I can't say about Total media as even under XP it causes my systems to either lock up or just reboot

Last edited:
No, PowerDVD 8 then doesn't start up until I add it to the list. It doesn't stop BD playback it stops the whole piece of software from opening but when you consider all the parts of windows that it burrows into it's not surprising that windows stops it from starting until it's excluded which is exactly what I was saying in my post. But if I leave DEP on it's default setting it has no problem, same with the install and usage of Imgburn which you also seemed to be having a problem with.
PowerDVD does tell you the build number, you need to open PowerDVD, right click and choose 'about', then click on your name under 'This product is licensed to' you'll then get a whole load of information in there, usually it's the number next to DVD Version that we want to know.

I've had no problems with any versions of PowerDVD under Vista Home, Premium, Business or Ultimate. I can't say about Total media as even under XP it causes my systems to either lock up or just reboot

In my experience, it stopped BD playback and nothing else. Previews, warning screens, interviews, ads, etc all worked fine. If DEP had reported it was having a problem, I obviously would have known to look there. :)

What version of Imgburn are you on? I'm curious why DEP trapped it for me and not you.

The PDVD version I'm currently on is 7.3.4102b.0
I'd forgot the little click on your name trick ;)

This question wasnt directed toward me, but I will chime in too. The version of IMGBurn im using with no errors, warning, etc, is 2.4.2.0.

This question wasnt directed toward me, but I will chime in too. The version of IMGBurn im using with no errors, warning, etc, is 2.4.2.0.

Hmmm, are you on SP1 (vista)?

<edit>

Nevermind you answered that in a previous reply :)

Weird... It tripped DEP immediatly, for me, upon launching the install exe, then killed the installer.

</edit>

Last edited:
Leave DEP on

The app doesn't matter, and has nothing to do with this.

Sorry. No. You are flat out mistaken. I will even proceed to tell you why, even though it is blindingly obvious:

DEP enables a feature which protects memory pages from writing. The point is to protect executable code from being written to by malicious code (or due to bugs in the software). A buffer overflow attack will be more difficult to conduct (near impossible), since it is (at most) limited to corrupting the stack, and effectively tightens most holes.

Windows NT had this feature already back in 1993 on most CPUs that it supported, except for Intel's family of CPUs.

When AMD introduced the Opteron line of CPUs, they simply added DEP as a feature and Windows apps could once again benefit from this protection. Since PAE extended the memory page header, they had enough room there to add the necessary flags. (thus DEP can only be turned on if PAE is enabled, or in 64-bit mode)

All the relevant API have always been there! There are absolutely no news here for the app developers; Just sloppy reading of the docs!

It is down right sloppy coding on Cyberlink's part that caused you grief. Cyberlink, and they alone, are to blame. Let me put it in a way you can understand: Cyberlink are a bunch of idiots.

On my system, I had to pull three SCSI optical drives, because PowerDVD would otherwise refuse to play any DVDs at all, even from my SATA drives. That is not Windows' fault. In fact, an older version of PowerDVD worked just fine. The new one fails. All other players just work. PowerDVD fail, fail, fail.

Cyberlink's support suggested that I should check what HDMI cable I'm using... As if that has any bearing at all on my SCSI drives...

They are crooks as well as idiots.

Vista may have its set of issues, but in this case I think you should realise that the OS works as designed, the app in question (PowerDVD) DOES NOT!

Do you still have any questions?

Total media as even under XP it causes my systems to either lock up or just reboot

Total Media worked great for me (other than the whole no blu-ray problem ;) )
Had a nice clean interface and a nice Media Center integrated applet.
But alas, it didn't fix my original problem and was $100 more :D

Sorry. No. You are flat out mistaken. I will even proceed to tell you why, even though it is blindingly obvious:

DEP enables a feature which protects memory pages from writing. The point is to protect executable code from being written to by malicious code (or due to bugs in the software). A buffer overflow attack will be more difficult to conduct (near impossible), since it is (at most) limited to corrupting the stack, and effectively tightens most holes.

Windows NT had this feature already back in 1993 on most CPUs that it supported, except for Intel's family of CPUs.

When AMD introduced the Opteron line of CPUs, they simply added DEP as a feature and Windows apps could once again benefit from this protection. Since PAE extended the memory page header, they had enough room there to add the necessary flags. (thus DEP can only be turned on if PAE is enabled, or in 64-bit mode)

All the relevant API have always been there! There are absolutely no news here for the app developers; Just sloppy reading of the docs!

It is down right sloppy coding on Cyberlink's part that caused you grief. Cyberlink, and they alone, are to blame. Let me put it in a way you can understand: Cyberlink are a bunch of idiots.

On my system, I had to pull three SCSI optical drives, because PowerDVD would otherwise refuse to play any DVDs at all, even from my SATA drives. That is not Windows' fault. In fact, an older version of PowerDVD worked just fine. The new one fails. All other players just work. PowerDVD fail, fail, fail.

Cyberlink's support suggested that I should check what HDMI cable I'm using... As if that has any bearing at all on my SCSI drives...

They are crooks as well as idiots.

Vista may have its set of issues, but in this case I think you should realise that the OS works as designed, the app in question (PowerDVD) DOES NOT!

Do you still have any questions?

Agreed with most of what you just said, and I realize that, minus the fact that windows silently killed the offending function. It let the app run just fine. It even let considerable portions of the app work just fine, including regular DVD playback. It did not warn, complain, or raise ANY prompts, events, logs, when it had an issue with BD playback.

And it's NOT just Cyberlink who are idiots then (as you stated) becuase Total Media Center did the exact same thing.

Plus, my statement to the "app does not matter" was in response to what app I was installing, which does have nothing to do with this. The app would not install becuase of DEP (Imgburn in this case), that fact has nothing to do with PowerDVD running BDs!

And in your response to:
:mad: Leave DEP on
You can't turn DEP off, you can only reduce its pervasiveness.

Last edited:
I'm also using Imgburn 2.4.2.0

Hmm, then I wonder if it has something to do with the fact this was a new build and Imgburn was not on this machine before (as in your case it probably was an upgrade?). Of course that would also mean that this problem did not exist in previous Img installs.

It's possible that on future Imgburn updates, DEP won't care about that installer anymore.

Hmm, then I wonder if it has something to do with the fact this was a new build and Imgburn was not on this machine before (as in your case it probably was an upgrade?). Of course that would also mean that this problem did not exist in previous Img installs.

It's possible that on future Imgburn updates, DEP won't care about that installer anymore.

Mine was a fresh install after a format.

My DEP is on I guess it is done by default, I will see if I experiance the same but doubt it.

AMD or Intel proc?

A couple of both. Here are the CPU's that I have installed it on in the last week or so, none displaying any issues.

AMD 6000+
Core 2 Q6600
Core 2 E6600
Core 2 E4500 ( I think this is the number)

Back