Dean (2017, US)

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by mudduck, Nov 7, 2017.

1. mudduck

mudduck Member

AnyDVD 8.1.9.0
    (tried with 8.1.9.3 earlier and had same results)

Insert disk, AnyDVD chews on it for a while (>5 minutes) and gives up with "Unknown disk type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!" under the "Status" window.

Verified Region was set properly on the DVD drive.

Exit AnyDVD and system reads platter fine (CloneDVD throws "copyrighted DVD" window).

Log file is attached.

Attached Files:

2. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

This is odd. The drive refuses to read the disc's table of contents with an error ILLEGAL REQUEST -INVALID FIELD IN CDB
    Either I am doing something very wrong, or the drive is confused (reporting the wrong error). Can you read other DVDs with AnyDVD and this drive?

EDIT: Has anybody else a similar problem with this title?

3. mudduck

mudduck Member

Here's a log file from the same environment (Hardware, OS, AnyDVD) with a known good DVD (Tremors).

Attached Files:

4. mudduck

mudduck Member

I dusted off an old (known to work very well) USB-attached DVD drive and tried it with OP DVD, works fine.

Looks like we can chalk this up to "DVD drive gone bad."

5. James

Don't get rid of the drive (and disc?) yet. I am preparing an AnyDVD beta for you to try, which will no longer read the TOC from DVDs.

6. mudduck

mudduck Member

7. James

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. mudduck

mudduck Member

That worked.

CloneDVD got about 65% into it and started throwing read errors like mad (even after breaking out the canned air).

So while the AnyDVD fix worked as expected, still looks like I have a drive that is dying slowly and painfully.