• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Data corruption/errors during ripping?

x265king

Hello,

Using latest AnyDVD HD gave me a M2TS file with corruption on a fresh new Blu-Ray disc.

Later on using MakeMKV gave me a similar result but it somehow had a more verbose.log output, can anyone make sense of this?

MakeMKV v1.9.10 win(x64-release) started
Backing up disc into folder "D:/XXXXXXXXXXXX"
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16846743552, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16846940160, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16847333376, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16847726592, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16847923200, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts.
Hash check for /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts : 0.01% corrupt, 99.98% correct, 99.99% checked.
Backup done but 1 files failed hash check

The video is corrupt whether ripped with either AnyDVD HD or MakeMKV.

The source is an original media that was wrapped in plastic and has no scratch, no scuffs, no stains, absolutely nothing at all on the disc surface.

Could it be the drive ASUS BW-16D1HT ATA Device (no region set)?

MakeMKV summary logs:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: K97F1693808
Firmware date: 2113-02-05 19:30:
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 17

Disc Information
Label: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Timestamp: 2010-08-20 11:39:06
Data capacity: 17.45 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 1
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

AnyDVD HD summary log:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 7.6.9.5, BDPHash.bin 16-03-25)
ASUS BW-16D1HT 1.01 W100600K97F1693808
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 9149824 sectors (17870 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
AACS MKB version 17
Removed AACS copy protection!

PS: Obviously edited out with XXXXXXXXXXXX the media/disc name.

Thanks!

No logfile, No help

If you are getting read error, it either a detective disc or drive

another thing to try is to increase the makemkv read retry count to something more than then the default. i set mine to 99 and many times it works when AnydvdHD would just stop retrying. i wish AnyDVDHD had the same retry option as a feature instead of requiring user to manually hit the retry button.

@Hackerjac: What kind of log file would you like to have? (Where are the options in AnyDVD HD?).

@pgcity: Trying that right now, increased the re-read from default 5 to 99, the thing is the errors are by the end of the movie, so everytime it takes me 25 minutes to do a test.

Also I remember having a USB2 external Blu-Ray disc drive somewhere, will attempt that later to rule out errors due to the drive being b0rked.

Edit: Is there a M2TS ripping integrity checking feature at all in AnyDVD HD? because this is AnyDVD HD's forums, not MakeMKV's support forum (even though I get the same errors with both rippers). The only reason why I rely on MakeMKV to begin with is because it has an integrity checking feature and it was to rule out a software error (bug) but it happens with both rippers regardless. If AnyDVD HD had a such feature; I would dump MakeMKV instantly, no doubt!

@pgcity: Increased the value to 99, it didn't change a thing, it re-read 5 times and moves on, file is corrupted anyhow.

Update: Tried with an external USB 2.0 drive, got the same results, looks like we have a defective media/disc issue here.

Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16846743552, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16846940160, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16847333376, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16847726592, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts at offset 16847923200, file is corrupt.

Drive details:

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Product: BDDVDW SE-506CB
Revision: TS02
Serial number: S1666YKFA000MV
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 17

Could it be a firmware issue?

not sure why it just read 5x when you set it to 99. on mine it rereads till it gets the track/sector or it just fails after 99 attempts which at that point tells me i have a bad disc since the drive works fine with other discs.

firmware is a possibility but you are on the latest release which can be found on this link http://www.tsstodd.com/eng/firmware/fwdownload/?functionvalue=view&no=853
besides that it would have failed from the start instead of the end if it was firmware issue.

so we're back to either a defective disc or drive. can try returning disc and getting another if possible and/or also try a different drive.

one more possibility is to use a Y cable for that drive instead of just a single input that comes with it. i notice on my burns/rips are more stable when plugged with Y cable connected to 2 usb ports properly.

@fast eddie: I tested with two different Blu-Ray drives and got the same results, the idea was to essentially eliminate the "it's the drive failure" issue.

If both drives are behaving identically then it's the media? simple logic?

It's pretty simple really, bd's don't have a protection mechanism that simulates bad sectors (like DVD's have). So if you get read errors on a bluray it's ALWAYS either a defective disc and/or drive. If the drive reads other discs fine, well then you have your answer.

It's pretty simple really, bd's don't have a protection mechanism that simulates bad sectors (like DVD's have). So if you get read errors on a bluray it's ALWAYS either a defective disc and/or drive. If the drive reads other discs fine, well then you have your answer.

Since everyone is talking about read errors here: I don't see a single mention of read errors by the OP (?)
It's just the hash check failing.
Probably a misauthored disc. May play all the same.

the reason it garbled is due to the security. you got to go in makemkv and keep trying and finding out which title is the correct one. this happened to me on mockingjay part 2 and i had to go through 1 by 1 to find out which title is the correct one.

as far as the hash check that to be expected from the security of the disc i believe.

@liuspeed: That is screen pass protection you are talking about, the disc OP have does not contain that

@x265king: if the original disc have the same error doing playback, there is something wrong with the disc, AnyDVD can't correct errors on the disc

@Hackerjac: Luckily this is was the NL/BE retail disc version of that movie paid 5$ for it, already re-ordered the FR retail disc, will see if any differences are to be seen. ;)

Back