• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clone BD Crash & Comp Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got very similar problem....check link out cos I have screenshots before crashes. Se if yours look similar. Had to forego SL discs in favor of DL for movies over or around 2 hours. How long are the ones crashing your PC?

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?63842-American-Sniper&p=409845#post409845

Was told to upgrade my PC, problem is it's a 4.2GHz octa-core processor, asus sabretooth 990 R2 MB w/ 32MB DDR3 RAM, AMD R270X Video card w/ 2GB DDR5 RAM and 6 x 10" fans. Hardly upgradable and only crashes while attempting certain movies with cloneBD yet they insist it's not the program. Put Chappie in today and it showed the same resulting size for both SL (compressed) and DL (non-compressed) blanks. That makes no sense and I didn't even try backing that one up. The DL blank should come in at well over 30GB and showed 23.89, same as SL!!! It's a Sony, but even so cloneBD just isn't right.

ROFLOL about "the boss"? telling people not to talk to me and all the sheep fall in line. Smatter I make too much sense? Call a spade a spade? At least I'm professional and don't flip like gentleman below. The upgrade PC joke went away once I told them what I was running, now it's my drivers and apparently other folks too. Can't be the program. It's perfect, has to be the PC.

Just refuse to admit cloneBD still is reporting wrong "resulting size" on target screen. Can't understand what any PC has to do with that? It's cloneBD that comes up with those numbers. Those "resulting size" numbers are not determined by the PC and they decide what size blank will give you a successful burn or a crash, at least in my situation.

I'm checking drivers and CPU performance as was recommended. However, I think mcmenace might be on to something. I'm currently attempting to backup the Bluray RIO.
When I select a partial copy and only the main feature is selected - none of the other titles or options selected - Clone BD tells me that the "Estimated uncompressed size of the current selection: 26.76 GB"

When I choose Complete Copy, Clone BD tells me the "Resulting Size: 13.39 GB."

I suspect this is why mcmenace does not have a problem when using DL discs because they have room for the total uncompressed file. Certainly seems like Clone BD is reporting the wrong resulting size, which then is effecting compression of the backup.

Happy to provide screen shots if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
data rate cos I though that would be less of a strain on PC

I'll say it's the other way around. The preview just flips an image onto the screen that is on a GPU surface anyway. The GPU is highly optimised for that.
The data rate causes a bit of stress to the CPU. But both shouldn't really matter.

Would you recommend uninstalling everything I can and reinstall from original disc then add any updates?

Normally, no. Whatever old drivers you still have there are wasting space on your drive but they don't get to play actively.

What about the dubious "resulting size" numbers and the fact I can tell by looking at them whether or not I will get a backup with an SL blank or need to go to DL? Don't see how that relates to video card.....Just put "The Game" (1997 Douglas) in and will crash if I attempt to put it on SL disc (2 Hour+ movie) but will back up fine on a DL disc. Also the ETA is way out of whack (almost 3 hours) when I attempt to do a 2 hour SL and 1/3 of that on a DL that works.

The ETA is almost impossible to really get right. A DVD is simple: there's one video format, one resolution, one codec.
Bluray has 3 different video codecs, 6 (I think) different possible resolutions, not counting aspect ratio, highly varying bitrates, so it's really, really hard to predict timing.
Will probably get improved in the future.

As I said before: there is a difference between the size slider being at full right position and otherwise.
Full right: no compression, just take the video as is from the disc and copy (remove unselected streams, but that's all).
Otherwise: holy cow, CPU is going to be busy.

It's a difference like day and night. Two completely different operations (they actually don't even share a single line of code in the program). First option mostly stresses reading and writing, second will put full load on all your 8 cores. And also utilizes your GPU, though not really heavily.
What CloneBD does with your graphics card is mainly YUV-RGB conversion, pixel shader (to blend in subtitles and such).

Is this how the cloneBD is designed? Why can't it go on an SL blank?

Well, it can. For pretty much everybody.

The thing is: you will hardly find any application other than video processing, that will really make full use of your rig. Not even gaming.
So the fact, that nothing ever happens, unless you use CloneBD, only tells you that your PC is fine as long as you don't ask for much.
As someone here in the thread wrote: he had similar issues using - was it BDRebuilder? Also taking his PC down. A user mode application can't do that, that's the main design goal of an operating system.

But in your case, it's more likely just the graphics card. Do you have another (different) one, just to swap and see if things go differently then?

I'm checking drivers and CPU performance as was recommended. However, I think mcmenace might be on to something. I'm currently attempting to backup the Bluray RIO.
When I select a partial copy and only the main feature is selected - none of the other titles or options selected - Clone BD tells me that the "Estimated uncompressed size of the current selection: 26.76 GB"

When I choose Complete Copy, Clone BD tells me the "Resulting Size: 13.39 GB."

I suspect this is why mcmenace does not have a problem when using DL discs because they have room for the total uncompressed file. Certainly seems like Clone BD is reporting the wrong resulting size, which then is effecting compression of the backup.

Happy to provide screen shots if anyone is interested.

Can you create CloneBD log files of those two situations? (complete copy vs. partial).
Just start the conversion then abort - no need for actual processing.
Then press Alt on the completion page and generate log files.

EDIT: then again... there's no real contradiction here.
Total uncompressed size is just informational and tells you the size you'd get without compression.
Resulting size takes the slider position into account (the compression you've selected).

Pete, re: Video Card issue

Got a solution from MS.....They must have been aware of it and I sent them crash info and what the fix is has a KBB number attached to it. Thanks for the spot on analysis you did Pete, and in the end all I needed was to DL the "fix" and run it. It backs up even with the slider bar all the way to the right now, so far.

So it seems, in my situation, I can ignore the numbers or positioning of the slider bar and just run the program. I'll know for sure when I attempt to put a 2 hour movie on an SL blank, which I will be doing shortly, but I feel pretty confident after results of Chappie and Survivor, which had 18 GB showing and easily went on the SL blank. I think with Chappie, anyDVD HD showing 43 GB being there but only 27 GB with clone BD and a DL blank, original may have been loaded with extra's while I only backed up the movie.

Here's what microsoft determined as per the video card problems.....

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8021038010
BCP2: FFFFF88002E0B848
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Bucket ID: X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys
Server information: 9bc2e9e8-d40b-4bbb-a785-4b9116a67efb

MicrosoftFixit50848 - Applied and fixed......Video Card error repaired.
Now.....

WORKING GREAT, big thank you goes out to you Pete!!!! :clap::):clap:

Last edited:
Holy cow, an actual M$ fix for a user problem? That's got to be a first

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Yeah I was pretty surprised to say the least when a flag appeared on the taskbar telling me a fix was available :agree:
Saved me from uninstalling and reinstalling stuff which may or may not have solved the problem.

Are you kidding me? MS provides an actual solution to an acute problem??

Well glad, that one is solved :clap:
It's actually an old issue and has been around for a year or two. The fix increases the GPU timeout limit. It's normally caused by either a faulty GPU or bad drivers causing the card to take longer to respond

Can you create CloneBD log files of those two situations? (complete copy vs. partial).
Just start the conversion then abort - no need for actual processing.
Then press Alt on the completion page and generate log files.

EDIT: then again... there's no real contradiction here.
Total uncompressed size is just informational and tells you the size you'd get without compression.
Resulting size takes the slider position into account (the compression you've selected).

Outside of the previous problems, now every time I attempt to use Clone BD it crashes with every single attempt.

How do I post the dump file that looks like gibberish as I pull it up in notebook?

Outside of the previous problems, now every time I attempt to use Clone BD it crashes with every single attempt.

How do I post the dump file that looks like gibberish as I pull it up in notebook?

Post it as is, as attachment. It's a binary file, not meant to be read.

ATM/ATI Video Card Crashes with cloneBD

It's actually an old issue and has been around for a year or two. The fix increases the GPU timeout limit. It's normally caused by either a faulty GPU or bad drivers causing the card to take longer to respond

Yes it has been around, and your above comment anyone can google and get enlightened.....Did you find out via my interaction with MS or have you kept it to yourself? I believe it's the former, shame on you if the latter. I know, as previously demonstrated, if I find information that potentially could affect a lot of users I say so and post it.

If you really knew of the fix
for a year or two
why didn't you say so??? Anybody with that card or perhaps that series of cards may be affected??? That could explain some of the crash complaints, as it did mine, and should've been made available to anyone with that hardware!!!

So anyone with an ATM/ATI Video Card R9270X or perhaps cards in that series, this link will take you to the fix, if you're experiencing crashes with cloneBD related to the video card. IMO anybody with this card, problems or not, should apply the patch. Here's the link.....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

Good luck and I hope this helps
mcm

The reason he might not have said it is rather simple. It wasn't until Pete analyzed the crash dumps we knew it was gfx card (driver) problem.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Why 'shame on me'? When I suggested it was a hardware issue all you did was give me abuse. I did ask you if you were getting Blue-screens and if so how to stop it from just rebooting so we could see what the Bluescreen message was. I also gave instructions on how to set Windows to make a small minidump so you could potentially upload it for someone to look at. You decided it couldn't possibly be a hardware issue and just gave me constant abuse at which point I decided to step back and leave you to it.

Here's my post from the end of March

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?63347-CloneBD-write-error&p=406778#post406778

Yes I already knew about the hot-fix, but the hot-fix doesn't just apply to ATI cards. Some earlier nVidia drivers can also cause the issue, but without seeing either the Blue-screen message or the mini-dump it's impossible to say that this hot-fix would fix the issue. Just randomly throwing on hot-fixes without knowing the cause can cause more problems.

Last edited:
Well, anyway, good that we got it sorted out!

Closing, it's getting hot in here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back