• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can AnyDVD do main movie only?

Anakin2Vader

Hi there,

I'm new on this board and was wondering ... Can AnyDVD do main movie only or do I need Clone DVD for that?

Thanks in advance.

Can AnyDVD do main movie only

For ripping by itself? No.

However, Anydvd doesn't limit me to using one ripping interface or UI as a front end
unlike almost all other decrypters.

or do I need Clone DVD for that?

Just a little background history . . .
Anydvd's biggest strength has always been for HTPC use, and the reason for that is because Anydvd decrypts on the fly at the driver level for Windows so that the entire system sees the disc as being decrypted. You don't need to rip first in order to watch discs from other regions for example. And, in fact, with some original dvds, you can't even watch them on your computer without Anydvd running in the background (Das Parfum from Germany is one example . . . or try watching the original Germany Region 2 dvd release of Silent Hill with WMP or Zoomplayer without Anydvd running in the background) due to the structural protection on them. Also, Anydvd allows for subtitle transparency on the fly when I want to watch dvd movies on my computer.

So, Anydvd was never intended as a ripper. It's just simply the most versatile and, consequently, powerful decrypter. Period.

In order to provide functionality with some third party reauthoring programs that can not handle structural protections properly, such as Dvd Shrink, Anydvd ripper was created ("rip video-dvd to harddisk").

Now, in answer to your question,

1. Clonedvd would be the best option to help ensure compatibility with Anydvd. Clonedvd also rips slightly faster than Anydvd, and, of course, you can remove unwanted material before ripping with Clonedvd. But you don't need to use Clonedvd. The power of Anydvd is that you can use almost anything you want.

2. You can use other third party programs to rip the main movie with Anydvd running in the background with pretty much any dvd. You can find some of them listed in step 3 from here.

3. If you use "rip video-dvd to harddisk", you can use pretty much whatever program you want to afterwards. Yes, doing so does rip the entire disc. You only need to use "rip video-dvd to hardisk" with discs containing structural protection--and only if the reauthoring program you're using can't handle the structural protection properly with Anydvd running in the background.

4. If the dvd doesn't contain structural protection, you can use whatever you want with Anydvd running in the background.

That's why Anydvd is extremely versatile. With most other decrypters (there's maybe one exception, but it doesn't handle structural protection on its own; and it's extremely limited with respect to what it can do), you can, well, use their program to rip, and that's pretty much it. And you always have to rip first no matter what with those programs.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between ripping and decrypting?

Yes. For example, I can rip any Blu-ray I want to without Anydvd HD. There's no structural protection on Blu-rays.
I can use Windows explorer if I want to badly enough. That's ripping. But that's not decrypting anything.

So, I cannot decrypt Blu-rays without Anydvd HD.

Last edited:
Yes. For example, I can rip any Blu-ray I want to without Anydvd HD. There's no structural protection on Blu-rays.
I can use Windows explorer if I want to badly enough. That's ripping. But that's not decrypting anything.

So, I cannot decrypt Blu-rays without Anydvd HD.

When you rip, it copies right to the hard drive right?

I assume decrypt means to make alterations to the copied files of the DVD/blu-ray?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to do is pop in a DVD and copy the main movie. But, I also want to be able to select my audio options (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, subtitles, etc) before I burn to a DVD.

I've been using a competitor's product but AnyDVD is it's main competition and I'm just trying to find out more about it. AnyDVD is 100% new to me.

Last edited:
What I want to do is pop in a DVD and copy the main movie. But, I also want to be able to select my audio options (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, subtitles, etc) before I burn to a DVD?

You will need to use something else in addition to Anydvd. Typically, I would use Clonedvd if I'm just ripping. But you don't necessarily have to use Clonedvd.

So you need Anydvd + something
Anydvd runs in the background and decrypts. So, you will need something in addition to Anydvd
in order to select the main movie only. I would use Clonedvd. What you want to use is up to you.
My point is that you're not forced to use Clonedvd.

I've referenced some other things already in point #2 in my original reply to you.

Last edited:
You will need to use something else in addition to Anydvd. Typically, I would use Clonedvd if I'm just ripping. But you don't necessarily have to use Clonedvd.

So you need Anydvd + something
Anydvd runs in the background and decrypts. So, you will need something in addition to Anydvd
in order to select the main movie only. I would use Clonedvd. What you want to use is up to you.
My point is that you're not forced to use Clonedvd.

I've referenced some other things already in point #2 in my original reply to you.

The beta versions of the AnyDVD software, it's a trial run for 20+ days and then it stops working until it's purchased, correct?

The beta versions of the AnyDVD software, it's a trial run for 20+ days and then it stops working until it's purchased, correct?

Yes, it's a 21 day trial. Currently there's a 20% off discount until November 1st. There's lifetime and 1 year options as well.
If you're interested in renewal pricing, look at http://www.slysoft.com/img/pricelist.pdf

Uhh, if you're trying the trial version of Clonedvd, don't use the beta. There's no trial for the Clonedvd beta. There's a trial for the official Clonedvd release though: http://www.slysoft.com/download.html

Last edited:
Yes, it's a 21 day trial. Currently there's a 20% off discount until November 1st. There's lifetime and 1 year options as well.
If you're interested in renewal pricing, look at http://www.slysoft.com/img/pricelist.pdf

Uhh, if you're trying the trial version of Clonedvd, don't use the beta. There's no trial for the Clonedvd beta. There's a trial for the official Clonedvd release though: http://www.slysoft.com/download.html

No, I haven't downloaded anything from the Slysoft site yet.

Does Clone DVD have all of the functionality of AnyDVD plus more? Is there a difference between the 2 pieces of software?

No, I haven't downloaded anything from the Slysoft site yet.

Does Clone DVD have all of the functionality of AnyDVD plus more? Is there a difference between the 2 pieces of software?

Anydvd decrypts.

Clonedvd compresses video and burns. Clonedvd requires Anydvd to decrypt.

Clonedvd is developed by Elaborate Bytes. Anydvd is developed by Slysoft.

Slysoft is a reseller of Clonedvd.

Last edited:
I still would love to have AnyDVD HD rip Main Movie from Blu Ray to Hard disk

I still would love to have AnyDVD HD rip Main Movie from Blu Ray to Hard disk

That is something that will simply never happen. That ability falls to the ripping software and I would expect CloneBD to have that ability when it is released. Nonetheless, remember that this is a discussion about SD DVDs.

AnyDVD/AnyDVD HD is a decrypter and it is not its job to do a movie-only rip. Its job is to remove protections. In reality, the ripping features included with the program shouldn't exist at all but were added due to the problems DVD Shrink users had with structural protections.

Short version is that AnyDVD allows you to use *whatever software you want* to "manipulate" the now unprotected DVD. AnyDVD is by far the best at what it does.

-W

I just purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD at the bundled price. Both work wonders and I am 100% satisfied. With that said as others have stated AnyDVD is a MUST. Before buying I was using the trial version of AnyDVD with ShrinkDVD (FREE) perfectly fine. My purpose was to do main movie only and to make sure file was small enough to fit on a DVD5 (~4.5GB), all of which DVDShrink does nicely while AnyDVD runs in the background. I bought CloneDVD since it stays updated and was discounted. From what I understand ShrinkDVD is no longer supported or updated, hence the version I have was last updated approx 2005, but many still use it. AnyDVD also comes with a Ripper which handles DVD's which DVDShrink can not handle, for which I had to use to make a backup of Transformers 2, after ripping with AnyDVD Ripper I was able to Shrink to fit a DVD5 using ShrinkDVD,without the need for CloneDVD in this instance. With CloneDVD constantly updated it should be able to handle current and future movies with better quality when shrinking compared to ShrinkDVD.

With CloneDVD constantly updated it should be able to handle current and future movies with better quality when shrinking compared to ShrinkDVD.

Everything you wrote up to this point is 100% true.

But there's a couple of things you may need to know:

1. If you own Clonedvd, rip with Clonedvd. Select "dvd+/-r dl" near the quality bar in Clonedvd (so you don't compress video if you don't want to), and select "dvd files" as the output method. Clonedvd rips faster than Anydvd, and Clonedvd allows you to remove unwanted material.

2. I'm just going to put this bluntly: DVD Shrink can produce better quality PQ than Clonedvd can. The trade-off is the amount of time taken to compress. Clonedvd is fast. Clonedvd is much faster at video compression than Dvd Shrink. And if the quality bar in Clonedvd is showing 80% or higher (when you select "dvd-5" for a single layer dvd blank), there probably won't be any noticeable difference between Clonedvd and Shrink. Both Clonedvd and Dvd Shrink use transcoders. Encoders are slower, but they produce better PQ than transcoders do.

If you really care about picture quality, this is what you do: forget Dvd Shrink.
You rip with Clonedvd--and you compress with a freeware encoder, like HC encoder. Dvd Rebuilder is also freeware and includes HC encoder.

So Clonedvd is extremely useful as a pre-processor (before compression). You can remove unwanted material. If there isn't a lot of compression involved, you can feel safe in using Clonedvd's transcoder. And then you can use HC encoder to compress, and you can use Clonedvd to burn. Dvd Shrink doesn't contain its own burning engine. Clonedvd does. You can retain menus while splitting the main movie across a couple of single layer dvd blanks, which Dvd Shrink cannot do.

Dvd Shrink does have nice editing features which Clonedvd doesn't have. But DVD Shrink relies on other programs to burn. And it can't retain menus across split discs.

Anyway, all of these products have nice features that can compliment one another. But if you own Clonedvd, rip with Clonedvd--not Anydvd.

Last edited:
2. I'm just going to put this bluntly: DVD Shrink can produce better quality PQ than Clonedvd can. The trade-off is the amount of time taken to compress. Clonedvd is fast. Clonedvd is much faster at video compression than Dvd Shrink. And if the quality bar in Clonedvd is showing 80% or higher (when you select "dvd-5" for a single layer dvd blank), there probably won't be any noticeable difference between Clonedvd and Shrink. Both Clonedvd and Dvd Shrink use transcoders. Encoders are slower, but they produce better PQ than transcoders do.

If you really care about picture quality, this is what you do: forget Dvd Shrink.
You rip with Clonedvd--and you compress with a freeware encoder, like HC encoder. Dvd Rebuilder is also freeware and includes HC encoder.

I was going to say something like that last night... but I was too tired to type. If you want the main movie only - rip only the main movie and only the audio track you want.

Many movies will fit onto a DVD-5 with no compression - you're done. If you have to compress... CloneDVD will compress down to about 90% with no noticable degradation... DVDShrink will get that down to about 80% with all the bells and whistles turned on and take longer than CloneDVD to do it right. Anything much below 80% and you need DVD Rebuilder, and again... it takes even longer than the other two to do it right.

And alway "over compress" just a little to keep from burning the outer rim of the disk (where most of the defects in the blank media hide).

-W

AnyDVD also comes with a Ripper which handles DVD's which DVDShrink can not handle, for which I had to use to make a backup of Transformers 2, after ripping with AnyDVD Ripper I was able to Shrink to fit a DVD5 using ShrinkDVD,without the need for CloneDVD in this instance.

What you're saying is that you ripped Transformers 2 to your hard drive and then used DVD Shrink to shrink it down to fit on a DVD-R?

When you rip any DVD to your hard drive using AnyDVD, if you use DVD Shrink afterwards, will it still let you choose the main movie only along with select audio options (eg. Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, etc)? I've used DVD Shrink before but AnyDVD is totally new to me.

Back