• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-Ray streaming to PS3

ebfe

Hello, I am considering buying AnyDvd HD to save all my movies to Hard Drive.

But unfortunatly from what I've read it might not be as easy as Rip & Play...

Here is what I would like to do:

1) Have an exact copy of the original BD. (So I can re-burn to 50gb BD later)
2) Have the full movies in a form that:
2.1) Can be stream to a PS3 in 1080p with Tversity or twonky media
2.2) With the same Audio quality as the original (7.1 or 5.1)
2.3) Have 2 audio stream (English & French)

Is there anyway to come up with a solution that fit all cases (Including VC-1/TrueHD movies)?

So far the only way I can think of would be to have multiple copy of the same movie, a ISO image, one for english, and one for french... But that would be like 100GB/movie...

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello, I am considering buying AnyDvd HD to save all my movies to Hard Drive.

But unfortunatly from what I've read it might not be as easy as Rip & Play...

Here is what I would like to do:

1) Have an exact copy of the original BD. (So I can re-burn to 50gb BD later)
2) Have the full movies in a form that:
2.1) Can be stream to a PS3 in 1080p with Tversity or twonky media
2.2) With the same Audio quality as the original (7.1 or 5.1)
2.3) Have 2 audio stream (English & French)

Is there anyway to come up with a solution that fit all cases (Including VC-1/TrueHD movies)?

So far the only way I can think of would be to have multiple copy of the same movie, a ISO image, one for english, and one for french... But that would be like 100GB/movie...

Thanks

First I am not a real expert at this but just some thoughts to share -

PS3 and VC-1 files wont mix. This is intentional by Sony. You will have to convert the VC-1 m2ts files first. Most likely this would produce reduce quality. With care you can do this and get a pretty good conversion copy.

TrueHD audio - last I remember, PS3 wont play that from a file. It will play it from the blu ray disc itself (pass thru). This leaves you will 5.1 surround as an option.

Software you will want to investigate

TSMUXER - strip off streams you don't need.
EAC3to (GUI) - if audio is a problem for TSMUXER this helps fix it
DelayCut - an additional software to use ith EAC3to

The above will provide you a basis for your PS3 playback via streaming.

Converting VC-1 M2TS files. You may want to use the above, get the main movie and save the streams you want. Then consider -

Ripbot - slightly finnicky, takes forever but when it works it will convert your VC-1 M2TS file into an H.264 file. The trade off is compression and some test tweaking to find the right settings.

HandBrake - This program can convert your M2TS file (main movie) into MKV with H.264 compression. You can find an MKV to M2TS or other format converter after this is done.

For language issues. Might sound silly but did you check to see if you can keep both streams and simply elect to change/switch audio you use? I recall back when I was able to do this for a DVD VOB (never tried it on M2TS file).
The other option is to keep the video portion with one of the audio/language streams and then the other audio language stream, is set aside. Only mux together as needed (20-40 minutes average) when needed for show then delete it later.

Example - Main movie video + 1 audio language stream as a PS3 M2TS file.
In a separate location, store the other audio language stream. When you want to play with the "other" language stream - remux it with the video and drop the first language stream in the process. It is about 3 click to do with TSMUXER and should take 20-40 minutes to complete (maybe longer on a slow system). Not the best answer but its workable. I think you should check if you can have both streams/languages, and if you are using the PS3 hand remote ...turn on the movie, select "info" while its playing and then go to the audio setting and see if you can flip thru it.

VC-1 for me is the killer problem. I have converted movies using ripbot but was not perfectly satisfied but surprised at how well it did do. I think I would even consider going the MKV route with Handbrake and then converting back to M2TS. Remember, the conversion for both requires compression yet again so read up and find the best settings for your needs. Alternatively you could convert to MP4 stereo. MP4 should use 5.1 pass thru but - PS3 isn't there yet to do it so you get stereo.

hope this is helpful

- Phrehdd

I remember having a long discussion with someone about VC-1 and PS3 ages ago on here, it is possible to keep the video quality, but a bit of a pain to do, you have to demux the streams, then convert the audio into WMA then remux the original video with the new audio using WMV encoder, he did give instructions on how to do it but it was a long time ago

i don't think even gigabit ethernet has enough bandwidth to stream a bluray, does the ps3 have gige, i doubt it, probably 100baset or 54g wireless?

many people already stream blu-ray across networks to the PS3 so yes it is fast enough, Blu-ray is maximum for single stream around 54mbits, even over 100mbit allowing for latency it should be fast enough to watch

I stream BD ISO's over my 100mbps network all the time. It's not ideal but it works just fine. Also, the PS3 does have gigabit which is DEFINITELY fast enough.

Ok thanks for your answer.

Can anyone confirm if there is anyway of having two audio stream in one file(m2ts, mkv, etc) that the ps3 can stream & switch between the 2 audio?

Btw the PS3 has a Gig Ethernet port.

No, the PS3 has no mechanism for switching audio tracks in a stand alone file.

Allright here we go again..

I did some test with a MP4 file (since I don't have any m2ts), I hope they are similar.

Basically I took a MP4 file (a HD Movie Trailer in H.264).

Using YAMB, I've added a second audio stream (in AAC), and save the file again as a MP4.

They I tried to stream it to the PS3 using PS3 MediaServer.

Using the PS3 I was able to click the triangle and switch between the 2 audio stream (which in my case it was the trailer sound, and a random mp3).

So does it mean I could maybe do the same with a m2ts file, have 2 audio stream and switch between them using the triangle?

Or does anyone know where I could find a test m2ts video that I could try adding another stream using tsmuxer.

Huh. That's pretty weird that it allowed you to do that. I didn't believe it would. I SERIOUSLY doubt it'll let you play HD audio that way. If you have a BD just copy a small m2ts file from it and try it out.

Unfortunatly I dont have A BD drive or Anydvd (yet), But I am currently downloading a demo HD file (which is a m2ts file).

I will try to add another audio stream to it. We'll see if it work, that the closest I can get to a real rip without a a BD drive.

Good luck. I'll be curious as to how you make out. I'll be traveling tomorrow so I won't be around to see how you make out but I'll check out your progress on Sunday. :)

Quick question, I can't seem to add a new audio stream into the m2ts file.

Here is what I tried:

Open the file in tsRemux, it show a AVC video and a Dobly digital audio stream.

Now I need to add a new audio stream, but I need to get one from somewhere, I have tried to click the audio stream and do Demux to Elementary stream and Demux to PES stream, It give me an output file, but I can't re-import..

Is there another tool that would let me import another audio stream to my m2ts file?

Thanks

Well, apparently it WORKS! I guess that was just a test file, but I think a real movie would work just as well.

So I was able to add 2 AC3 audio stream and one LPCM(WAV) with one H.264 video stream inside a .m2ts file and stream it with PS3 MediaServer (also work with Tversity) to my PS3.

I was able to go trough all 3 audio stream by Pressing Triangle, then going over the little music sign. It would then display in the corner:

1:Left & Right
1:Left
1:Right,
then go to next stream
2:Left & Right
2:Left
2:Right

My first AC3 audio was 2ch, then second was 5.1, and my receiver actually seen the change and played 5.1 sound. So aparently streaming m2ts file with 2 or more audio work just fine.

:clap:

I stream BD ISO's over my 100mbps network all the time. It's not ideal but it works just fine. Also, the PS3 does have gigabit which is DEFINITELY fast enough.

How are you streaming ISO's to PS3? M2TS work all day but I have never had any luck streaming ISO.

Ok so another question,

So I can take M2TS file without conversion if It's H.264, if it's VC1 then I need to convert it to H.264.

End result for the video is a H.264 movie.

Then for the audio part, can any audio stream be converted to LPCM, or to another lossless format that I can remux to my M2TS file?

Finally, let's say I want to re-create Blu-ray (50GB) later, could I use the M2TS file I created myself, and re-add the menu (let's say I saved them).

So the end result would be,

[Any Blu-ray] -> [remux-ed M2TS(H.264 + 2 LPCM Audio) + Backup Menu file and some other files] -> Could I go back to a "close to original" Blu-ray?

Thanks alot..

Ok so another question,

So I can take M2TS file without conversion if It's H.264, if it's VC1 then I need to convert it to H.264.

End result for the video is a H.264 movie.

Then for the audio part, can any audio stream be converted to LPCM, or to another lossless format that I can remux to my M2TS file?

Finally, let's say I want to re-create Blu-ray (50GB) later, could I use the M2TS file I created myself, and re-add the menu (let's say I saved them).

So the end result would be,

[Any Blu-ray] -> [remux-ed M2TS(H.264 + 2 LPCM Audio) + Backup Menu file and some other files] -> Could I go back to a "close to original" Blu-ray?

Thanks alot..

Simple answer is no, you can't put the new video back into the old disc structure at the moment

Well, apparently it WORKS! I guess that was just a test file, but I think a real movie would work just as well.

So I was able to add 2 AC3 audio stream and one LPCM(WAV) with one H.264 video stream inside a .m2ts file and stream it with PS3 MediaServer (also work with Tversity) to my PS3.

I was able to go trough all 3 audio stream by Pressing Triangle, then going over the little music sign. It would then display in the corner:

1:Left & Right
1:Left
1:Right,
then go to next stream
2:Left & Right
2:Left
2:Right

My first AC3 audio was 2ch, then second was 5.1, and my receiver actually seen the change and played 5.1 sound. So aparently streaming m2ts file with 2 or more audio work just fine.

:clap:

To quote a famous Star Wars character...."impressive, most impressive".

How are you streaming ISO's to PS3? M2TS work all day but I have never had any luck streaming ISO.

I'm not. :) When I said I was streaming ISOs over the network, I never said I was doing it to a PS3. ;) I stream them between my HTPC's. I have one in the bedroom and one in the livingroom. And my laptop. I just mount the ISO over the network and call it good. I don't stream to the PS3 usually. And certainly never ISOs.

Converting the VC-1 stream is a PITA. Oh, and no TrueHD kinda sucks cause I would prefer to keep that stream, too. I'm not even trying anymore. I was going to just hold my breath until Sony added VC-1 (streaming) capability, but lately I have been considering biting the bullet and buying a Popcorn Hour A-110.

Back