• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Buy Is Out of the DVD and Blu-ray Business, and Now So Is Disney

I wouldn't label that as a bad thing regarding physical media.
From what I gathered from the article is that Sony is taking over that part.

And from what I can see, both say the same. It's just Sony doing the work now.

Yes, they handed over the physical media business to Sony and killed off the Disney movie club. It remains to be seen if this will impact what movies get released. This certainly isn't a positive move but it may not be a death knell either at least... Not yet.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

At this point, I would think what matters most is the survival of the boutique BD/DVD distribs; Criterion, Kino, Powerhouse, Scorpion (defunct?), Twilight Time (defunct?), Radiance (new label?), Dark Sky, Classic Films (new?), Warner Archive (defunct?), Eureka, VCI, Cult Films, et al. As long as they can turn a profit and can maintain good relations with the major and indy studios physical media might endure.

Let's not forget some of these things we are talking about are companies already losing money cutting dead weight in a poor economy. In a number of instances the disc business was not doing them any favors not because the disc business has evaporated, but because it got taken by Amazon and Walmart. Amazon and Walmart have taken A LOT of business from many other retailers and have laid waste to physical stores. So this is not at all new.

Studios are churning out 4K and disc sets left and right at this point in relation to the past. The 4k situation seems to be on fire enough where they are going backwards in time and remastering/upscaling old films frequently.

interesting development
all goes cloud & stream
Sound was better on vinyls but they were, big, fragile and can't hold as much as digital medias.
If all goes to stream, home audio and video will take a dramatic drop in quality.

Meh. They said that about DVD. They said it about blu-ray. Now they're saying it about UHD. I'm not worried yet. What's happening is consolidation not death.

Sony announced today they will no longer distribute 4K UHD content on 5.25" floppy disks. A spokesman for the company further denied industry rumors that 8K SDMMUDH content will be limited to CED disk technology, confirming their long history of supporting the wrong format...

Warner Brothers and Universal did the same recently and created Studio Distribution Services (SDS). It distributes both companies physical media and helps cut down on costs by reducing redundancy. They still release on disc.

I'm not surprised Disney went with Sony...both are notorious for excessive DRM on their products.

The DVD business has Cancer, it isn't dead yet but the future is not bright. 😉
Everything has it's seasons. :)

I heard there was a new version of the MiniDisk that was far faster as it has a BetaMax cache :)

Best Buy was a disc reseller similar to NetFlix, the company didn't create DVDs/Blurays, they were just a location to buy. Amazon still sells discs.

Disney OTOH did create discs, now they've stopped doing that. Consolidation of creating discs to Sony. Disney will still release content on disc, letting Sony do the work to create them. Disney is going Video on Demand/Streaming.

While that does possibly change what future disc-based releases might be it doesn't mean for the immediate future no new content on disc will be released.

The "on 4K" disc market looks to be booming and expanding. For now.

Last edited:
Sony announced today they will no longer distribute 4K UHD content on 5.25" floppy disks. A spokesman for the company further denied industry rumors that 8K SDMMUDH content will be limited to CED disk technology, confirming their long history of supporting the wrong format...
That makes absolutely no sense, the amount of storage space on a single 5.25" floppy disc wouldn't hold content at DVD level quality; around 370KB of storage, at best 1.2MB. The number of floppy disks needed would be a lot. The content would have to be broken up into pieces to fit on all those floppies, and the ease of damage is enormous.

3.5" floppies would be slightly harder to damage, but storage would still be a critical factor. At best 3.5" would be 2.88MB of storage. 8" floppies? fuggetaboutit.

CD goes up to 700MB, single layer DVD is 4.7GB. DVD-HD and Blu-ray go way up from there.

Video on CD was definitely a fringe market, very low quality, mostly in Japan.

That makes absolutely no sense, the amount of storage space on a single 5.25" floppy disc wouldn't hold content at DVD level quality; around 370KB of storage, at best 1.2MB. The number of floppy disks needed would be a lot. The content would have to be broken up into pieces to fit on all those floppies, and the ease of damage is enormous.

3.5" floppies would be slightly harder to damage, but storage would still be a critical factor. At best 3.5" would be 2.88MB of storage. 8" floppies? fuggetaboutit.

CD goes up to 700MB, single layer DVD is 4.7GB. DVD-HD and Blu-ray go way up from there.

Video on CD was definitely a fringe market, very low quality, mostly in Japan.

I believe he was joking.

Irrelevance Today spoke with the chief vaporware officer for Sony:
"It is likely that CED technology applied to SDMMUHD video streams would require grooves no more than a few atoms wide and a stylus tracking at less than a few micrograms with spindle speeds exceeding the speed of sound by orders of magnitude. Sony remains confident they can perfect such useless technology and is prepared to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in this competing technology - like they always do - to win the 'Also Ran' trophy...again. This amazing new technology which will rival HD-DVD in consumer acceptance, known formally as CED-SDMMUHD-WTFNTS, will include DRM technologies which will surivie longer than M-Disc and will never be cracked by that team of slicers working on a beach somewhere generally south and east of Jal, New Mexico."

RedFox 1 responded as follows:
Hold my beer...

I say this as a person who owns a large number of vintage Sony audio and video components and several hundred flavors of Sony recordable media, but Sony will find a way to screw this up - they always do. Long live XCP Rootkit.

Wait, this just in...The Marvels to be released in 16K for mobile platforms. Yay.

Back