• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD/HD DVD ISO Image Creation

Weird. I have to ask again what version of AnyDVD you're using and what version of PowerDVD you're playing with. Something else seems wrong with your system. I've experienced no such problems at all and I have several protected images on my machine plus several movie only images I've created myself. None of which have any issues whatsoever.

latest of anydvd and powerdvd 8 1730b, the update to the latest wont install coz i think it was OEM. i am gonna reformat the drive and just install the programs i need shortly might fix the problem. i have power dvd 7 (latest) nero 8, arcsoft total media theartre, arcsoft total media extreme... there could be sum conflicts going on i dunno.

Very possible. And you know that cannon/fly analogy I just used in the other thread? Yea, you're throwing a bomb at the fly here. :D But, in the end, it'll probably be a good thing to get a clean environment set up.

Temporarily updated with a new script to allow quick reading of an ISO using a batch file. It opens ImgBurn and creates an ISO with the volume label of the disc in the destination directory you specify in the batch file. If and when AnyDVD gets updated with ISO creating abilities the entire first post will change anyway. I may simply create a new thread and leave this one as historical and just update it to point to the new thread. In any case, the script is working as I'm using it to rip a BD right now so enjoy.

EDIT: Ok, I cleaned up the post quite a bit. It should make it easier to understand. I don't think I fairly presented both sides of the "protection or non-protection" argument and methodology before. My mistake and it has been rectified. Hopefully the guide will be easier for people to use and make a proper decision as to which method is better.

Last edited:
This post is for HISTORICAL PURPOSES ONLY. The main post of the thread is being updated to reflect new information. This is *NOT* current info. Follow the first post of this thread! I'm posting this just for reference material ONLY.

NOTE: If you plan to burn the ISO, you SHOULD use the first method so that the protection is removed! Otherwise you'll need to mount the protected ISO and burn from the mounted drive.

Here's a little batch file I wrote that'll use ImgBurn to automatically read an image from the drive you select in the SRC variable and write it out to an image in the DEST directory with the volume name. BE CAREFUL...it WILL overwrite an existing image if the volume name is generic. I suggest renaming once the image is done if the disc doesn't have a useful volume label. This script can be used with both methods below. This script will hopefully be extremely short lived and will be removed once AnyDVD has ISO writing abilities built in.

readISO.bat:
Code:
@echo off
set SRC=D:
set DEST=C:\Movies
set PathToImgBurn=C:\Program Files\ImgBurn

start /d"%PathToImgBurn%\" ImgBurn.exe /MODE READ /SRC %SRC% /DEST %DEST%\[DISC_LABEL].iso /CLOSESUCCESS /START

Method 1 - REMOVE ALL PROTECTION FROM ISO:

-ENABLE AnyDVD
-Insert Original Disc
-Use readISO.bat

OR

-Load CloneCD or ImgBurn
-Select read. (TIP: Simply give your file a .iso extension and CloneCD will create a single ISO file rather than the split .dvd file)

Method 2 - CREATE PROTECTED ISO LEAVING PROTECTION UNTOUCHED:

-ENABLE AnyDVD
-Insert Original Disc and allow AnyDVD to connect to the update server if necessary to acquire a key for the title
-DISABLE AnyDVD
-Use readISO.bat

OR

-Load CloneCD (ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 now appears to allow ripping of protected discs! So you can now use ImgBurn if you desire. You may still get a warning that the disc is protected. You can safely ignore this and/or disable the warning in the preferences.)
-Select read. (TIP: Simply give your file a .iso extension and CloneCD will create a single ISO file rather than the split .dvd file)

Note(1): Acquiring a key from the original disc (if necessary) is a good idea to make sure you have the key cached so that you can decrypt the ISO at any point in the future. -A little clarification on this point. If AnyDVD doesn't contain a key (new titles, for example) it can acquire one from the server ONLY by using the original disc. Once the key is acquired, it's cached so that when you mount a protected ISO, AnyDVD will be able to decrypt it without having to retrieve the key. HOWEVER, the next version of AnyDVD will contain the key built in, so, this is usually not necessary. Lots of confusion on this point. AnyDVD is regularly updated with new keys, so, there's a very short window where having a cached key would be necessary.

There has been a lot of debate and discussion regarding which method is "better". It really depends on your needs. I choose to use method 2 because there have been bugs in AnyDVD that have caused people that have used method 1 to have to rerip. I'm a purist and want the closest image I can get to the original. With a protected image, I get everything the original has. HOWEVER, that being said, using protected images is more work. AnyDVD MUST be active when the protected image is mounted. Just because you can create an ISO with AnyDVD disabled does NOT mean AnyDVD isn't necessary!! The protection MUST be removed before playback! Whether you remove it from the initial rip or remove it when you mount the ISO is up to you, but, it MUST be done at some point. There is a lot to be said about removing the protection during the initial rip. Once it's removed, it's gone. A perfectly clean image. No BD+, no AACS. That's highly desirable to a lot of people and I completely respect that. But, if a bug is discovered, there is the risk that your image will be flawed and you will need to rerip. That's the chance you take. :)

-Another tip: James said that the CloneCD ISO creation portion never times out, so, that is an excellent alternative to ImgBurn for those that don't like ImgBurn. In the near future, AnyDVD may gain the ability to create ISOs directly which will negate the need for this guide altogether. When that happens, this guide will be updated and put to rest.

Ok, I have updated the first post for the new version of AnyDVD. I do NOT want this feature to ever get removed, so, we will need to educate people on what the checkbox is for and when and when not to use it.

AnyDVD 6.4.6.1 makes this guide mostly unnecessary thanks to the new "Rip to image..." option. Right click the fox icon, and you will find it there. This will create an ISO of your disc for you.

However, there are some things to be aware of.

On the new Rip to image... page, there is a checkbox that says:

"Keep Protection (Blu-ray/HD DVD)"

This may cause confusion to a lot of people, but, I want this feature to stay so this guide will be the place to send people who have questions/problems. Please point people having issues or questions with this feature to this post!

By default, it is unchecked. When the ISO is created, all protection is removed in the resulting ISO. AACS, BD+, etc are all removed during ISO creation. A clean image that is stripped of protection that can be mounted, burned, whatever. MOST PEOPLE WILL WANT TO USE THE RIP FEATURE THIS WAY!! If you are planning on burning your images, this is the option you want to use.

Now, when you enable the checkbox, it disables all protection removal in AnyDVD for that image. That means it creates an image bit for bit from the disc with ALL protection in tact. AACS, BD+, etc, are all in the image. I want to make this clear so that support does not get a lot of calls on this...this feature should NOT be used unless you KNOW the consequences! It seems like quite a hassle, right? Why would you want to use this feature? I use protected images because they are as close to the original as you can get. They're literally 1:1 copies, warts and all. The major benefit is if a bug crops up in AnyDVD that causes a (sorry, Peer) glitch to show up, those who ripped with protection removal enabled will need to rerip the disc with a fixed version of AnyDVD. Those who keep protection only have to remount the protected image with AnyDVD. This is a great time saver.

Notes:
-AnyDVD *MUST* be enabled when you mount a protected image! Mounting a protected image without AnyDVD enabled will result in the inability to play it!!
-Do NOT use the keep protection feature if you plan on burning your image! If you do rip with the keep protection feature enabled, you CAN mount the image with AnyDVD enabled and burn from the mounted drive, however, make sure you know what you're doing. Media is not cheap! :)
-Ripping is done per image meaning if you insert another disc in another drive, the checkbox is set per disc. Confusing maybe, but, incredibly helpful! An example is I have 2 Blu-ray drives in theory. I stick disc A in drive 1. I decide I want a protected ISO created. I select rip to image and check off the keep protection checkbox. I start that one ripping. I insert disc B into drive 2. I select rip to image and this time I do NOT select the checkbox to keep protection. The second image will have all protection removed while the first will have its protection kept. SWEET!!!
-The key caching issue. This is mostly a non-issue especially now in light of new information I just found out. When you insert the disc, AnyDVD will scan it and go acquire a key for it if it needs to. (Assuming you are not using a trial) This key is cached locally so that if you create a protected image, AnyDVD can decrypt it properly and all that fun stuff. If you reinstall AnyDVD, obviously you lose the cached keys. BUT, and here's the kick ass part, AnyDVD can retrieve the key from a mounted image to recache it! It works because the key is already stored on the key server and AnyDVD just goes and retrieves the right key. This is truly awesome! Remember, this only works if someone scans the original disc and AnyDVD acquired the key from the key server. The key can't be found directly from a mounted image. It must already be known by the key server. Nonetheless, if you're ripping with AnyDVD, then the key is now known cause you let AnyDVD scan the disc. SWEET! (For those that don't understand this, don't worry about it. The latest version of AnyDVD always has all known keys. This key caching stuff only applies to REALLY new discs that come out in between AnyDVD releases. Once a new version comes out, it will contain the keys and this isn't an issue. This information ONLY applies to new discs that AnyDVD doesn't have a key for internally.)

There you have it. A new feature that I ABSOLUTELY appreciate beyond words. If you have questions or problems with this feature, please post in this thread.

Also, there's a lot of posts in this thread. Most of them pertain to the old method of doing things. Anything posted before this post is historical in nature and should not be considered current. Thanks!

Thanks SamuriHL, with this post the software ( AnyDVD HD ) has became very powerful for Blu-Ray Discs.

Has anyone tested the capability to burn a BD from an encrypted ISO while it is mounted in VCD with AnyDVD-HD running??

I am considering backing up all my movies with the encrypted ISO method to avoid any re-ripping in the future. However, if I want to create a non-encrypted ISO can't I just mount the encrypted ISO on my HDD in VCD with AnyDVD-HD running and re-rip to a non-encrypted ISO. Will this cause any data loss??

It would seem that having a encrypted ISO is the best option

1) You can re-rip an encrypted ISO from HDD anytime to create a non-encrypted ISO or extract the video files.
2) Keeping the encrypted ISO allows you to automatically fix any bugs found in AnyDVD-HD by simply installing the newest version of AnyDVD-HD, which is alot faster than re-ripping an entire disc collection.

I think I've said many times by now that the only way to burn an encrypted ISO is to mount it, let AnyDVD decrypt it and remove the protections on the mounted image, and burn doing a copy from the virtual drive to you blank disc. It works fine. No need to rerip to an unprotected image first.

Hi

I have been watching my BD movies from my MediaCenter where I have my movies as ISO images. I now use PowerDVD 8 Ultra, but now none of the images work anymore. It worked perfectly until I updated my programs (used PowerDVD 7 Ultra before). I also tried to make new images but get the same error massage from PowerDVD 8 "A disc with a unsupported format in drive X".

I use AnyDVD-HD for copyprotection, ImgBURN to make *.ISO, Daemon tools to mount and PowerDVD 8 Ultra to view the movie. It works when I put in the Blu-ray disk, but not when I mount images.

Is there some setting I've forgot or what is the problem?

Thanks in advance

Hi

I have been watching my BD movies from my MediaCenter where I have my movies as ISO images. I now use PowerDVD 8 Ultra, but now none of the images work anymore. It worked perfectly until I updated my programs (used PowerDVD 7 Ultra before). I also tried to make new images but get the same error massage from PowerDVD 8 "A disc with a unsupported format in drive X".

I use AnyDVD-HD for copyprotection, ImgBURN to make *.ISO, Daemon tools to mount and PowerDVD 8 Ultra to view the movie. It works when I put in the Blu-ray disk, but not when I mount images.

Is there some setting I've forgot or what is the problem?

Thanks in advance

See highlighted text and start searching this forum. This has been discussed to death.

See highlighted text and start searching this forum. This has been discussed to death.
Thanks for you answer, and I apologise. I had searched, (and again after your reply), but without any luck.

The closest I've come is this:
If you're getting that message, the idiots who ripped it are missing necessary files for playback in PowerDVD 8 Ultra. It'll work in 7, but, not 8. And yes, this is what happens when you download...you never know what you're gonna get.
from: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=16207&highlight=PowerDVD+8+unsupported+format

This is excatly my problem ("unsupported format"), but I do not download. I've ripped all the movies myself and have the originals here. Aparently I do something wrong when I rip the movies. But what?

I used to use AnyDVD to remove the protection and then burn a *.ISO of all the data. Now I tried with "Keep Protection (Blu-ray/HD DVD)" without any luck. What am I missing?

SIGH. Daemon Tools. You didn't search very hard if you didn't come across 1 of the bazillion messages regarding daemon tools *NOT WORKING* for mounted images with PowerDVD 8. You know how many times I've had to tell people this? It gets really old. It's also in the faq. Get rid of Daemon Tools and use Virtual CloneDrive. Problem solved.

I do apologise. I my search, I stumpled across threads where people were having the same problems with Virtual CloneDrive and they compared with Daemon Tools so I figured that wasn't the problem.

Anyway, thanks for your help. :bowdown:

No problem. Just one of those frustrating things where I wish they'd fix Daemon Tools (apparently the latest Pro version IS fixed but it hasn't trickled down to the non-pro version) so that this issue would stop coming up. The other issue is the SPTD driver in Daemon Tools causing a slow down on ripping speed. I like Daemon Tools but those two issues drove me insane to the point of never wanting to recommend it to anyone anymore. Switch to VCD which has been heavily modified lately to handle HD DVD/BD images quite well and you won't look back.

Having trouble with the "rip to image" feature in 6.4.9.0. I try to rip x-files with keep protection enabled, and it won't let me do anything, keeps telling me "drive isn't ready". I've rebooted and tried this on 2 separate PCs with different readers, same problem!

What am I missing?

Having trouble with the "rip to image" feature in 6.4.9.0. I try to rip x-files with keep protection enabled, and it won't let me do anything, keeps telling me "drive isn't ready". I've rebooted and tried this on 2 separate PCs with different readers, same problem!

What am I missing?

I assume it's because AnyDVD HD now disables itself if it comes across BD+ it can't break

I assume it's because AnyDVD HD now disables itself if it comes across BD+ it can't break
Correct. You can fool AnyDVD by disabling BD+ removal in BD settings.

Correct. You can fool AnyDVD by disabling BD+ removal in BD settings.

Wait a minute. I take issue with AnyDVD not making an image if the Keep protection checkbox is enabled. Can this be fixed?

Wait a minute. I take issue with AnyDVD not making an image if the Keep protection checkbox is enabled. Can this be fixed?

I hope so, the whole point of the image and options to keep protection is to make an image with uncracked protections in place. Luckily I made an image with Img Burn so when it finally is cracked I can just mount it.

Total size: 24438784 sectors (47732 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: X_FILES_2_US
Media is AACS protected!
Media is BD+ protected!
Failed to remove BD+, Error 668!
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

That's title BTW in case anyone is trying to copy it.

Last edited:
Back