• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bad Media Messages

1. Try Anydvd 6.1.4.2 (click the default button in Anydvd)

2. Try Clonedvd 2.9.0.4

If you're getting bad media message errors, you might want to try some other blank media (Taiyo Yuden premiums), just to ensure you didn't receive some bad Verbatim media.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: It's not Anydvd or CloneDvd...it's your garbage Dell computer.I had the same issue a year ago after I installed a Windows XP update.I had to use System Restore and before I did that I un-installed Sonic Record now.

Isn't where this thread started? I am guessing there is no answer. Without re-hashing the entire story and all the fixes suggested, I am still left with the very strong impression that the update from from anydvd and clonedvd are having some conflict with Xp on both systems. It is the only logical answer after years of working fine on both systems, suddenly both go down after the only change was the software update?

I am tempted to reset my Dell though, it is the one sure way to see what is up. As far as the bad media, we discussed that already. I've used different dvd's from different spindles all different makes, it is not that. We already ruled that out.

Isn't where this thread started? I am guessing there is no answer. Without re-hashing the entire story and all the fixes suggested, I am still left with the very strong impression that the update from from anydvd and clonedvd are having some conflict with Xp on both systems. It is the only logical answer after years of working fine on both systems, suddenly both go down after the only change was the software update?

I am tempted to reset my Dell though, it is the one sure way to see what is up. As far as the bad media, we discussed that already. I've used different dvd's from different spindles all different makes, it is not that. We already ruled that out.

I have used both new versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 without an issue. The questionable variable is the media. Try some TY's or anything just to make sure the problem still exist. Then let us know.

Isn't where this thread started? I am guessing there is no answer. Without re-hashing the entire story and all the fixes suggested, I am still left with the very strong impression that the update from from anydvd and clonedvd are having some conflict with Xp on both systems. It is the only logical answer after years of working fine on both systems

No. Everyone running XP would have the same issue. And I don't on three different systems running XP. No one I know, personally, is having this issue you're having.

1. Try Anydvd 6.1.4.2 (click the default button in Anydvd)

2. Try Clonedvd 2.9.0.4

3. If you're getting bad media message errors, you might want to try some other blank media (Taiyo Yuden premiums), just to ensure you didn't receive some bad Verbatim media.

I have tried Sony dvd's, Maxell, 2 different spindles of Verbatims and Memorex.

I have chosen Default and the safe modes. The message on the Dell is that CSS protections are not being removed - using the updated version of AnyDVD.

On the desktop all protections are removed but get bad media messages on all discs.

I am going to backup then reformat my laptop, I am betting that will solve the issue there. As far as the desktop - I have no clue.

The message on the Dell is that CSS protections are not being removed - using the updated version of AnyDVD..

Perhaps you have the (bad) alpha-disc rootkit on that system. You may want to try uninstalling it:
http://uninstall.settec.com/eng/

I'm trying to think of other things that would interfere . . .
Can you disable your antivirus program just to check to see if you still get that css message.

Actually, can you please give me the full error message?

Obviously scanning for spyware wouldn't hurt: google spybot or ad-aware.

Last edited:
Its not giving the message in clonedvd, its in anydvd...this is the latest summary after putting the suggested version of avydvd on the dell. :

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.4.2)
TSSTCORP DVD+-RW TS-L532B DE03 07/28/05
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2005120 sectors (3916 MBytes)
Total size: 3931020 sectors (7677 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: TITANIC_LB
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I will disable the antivir program and I have completely removed all spyware and it has not been connected to the internet for a week or so.

The summary posted is what anydvd is telling me

The summary posted is what anydvd is telling me

That Anydvd status window is normal; there's nothing weird about it.

The message on the Dell is that CSS protections are not being removed

and then you said

Its not giving the message in clonedvd, its in anydvd

As proof, you appear to post this:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.4.2)
TSSTCORP DVD+-RW TS-L532B DE03 07/28/05
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2005120 sectors (3916 MBytes)
Total size: 3931020 sectors (7677 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: TITANIC_LB
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

However, that's normal. That status screen simply indicates that Anydvd is working properly.

So what program is telling you "that CSS protections are not being removed"?

What is the full error message then--and what program is giving you that error message?

Last edited:
I am also being told I do not have alpha disc on the dell to be uninstalled.

Ok, one more time.....I am only seeing that message - not an error message - the line on the anydvd summary that says the dvd is css protected. Other already copied dvd's have no css protections. Being that I never had a problem before I never even looked at the summaries, I assumed that since the dvd is still css protected that anydvd was not working. On the Dell I get no error messages. It appears to burn just fine, except when finished I have a blank dvd....good for a coaster.

Even on the desktop I have no alpha disc to uninstall.

Ok, one more time.....I am only seeing that message - not an error message - the line on the anydvd summary that says the dvd is css protected.

That's normal. Anydvd is working fine.

Other already copied dvd's have no css protections.

That's normal. Anydvd is working fine.

On the Dell I get no error messages. It appears to burn just fine, except when finished I have a blank dvd....good for a coaster.

1) Have you tested (tried playing) that disc on another system or on another standalone dvd player?

2) Contact Dell and ask if a firmware update exists for your burner

3) Try Taiyo Yuden Premium blank media

4) It's possible your Samsung (TSST) burner is dying

Last edited:
We are having a serious communications problem. Ok, on the Anydvd Disc Sumary I posted - it has a line that says "Media is CSS protected!" This is the only place I have seen the message. There is NO error message anywhere, not at any time has an error message popped up saying that. Only in the sumary of the dvd after anydvd has scanned it.

Now - since I have never had a problem in the past, I never even looked at those summaries anydvd lists. When I had this problem - the blank burnt dvd's - I put in copies I made before and saw that they were not CSS protected. I assumed that was the issue as they burned fine a few weeks ago. I do not know if it was normal or not to have a pre-burned dvd to have its CSS protections still on, which is what sparked the comment.

The burner burns everything else without a problem. The dvd's don't work on anything else. In fact they don't even look burned, they come out warm but do not have the "burnt" look. Like I mentioned, it worked fine until the latest slysoft update.

We are having a serious communications problem. Ok, on the Anydvd Disc Sumary I posted - it has a line that says "Media is CSS protected!" This is the only place I have seen the message. There is NO error message anywhere, not at any time has an error message popped up saying that. Only in the sumary of the dvd after anydvd has scanned it.

Again, that's normal. Anydvd is working fine.

When I had this problem - the blank burnt dvd's - I put in copies I made before and saw that they were not CSS protected.

That's normal. Anydvd removes the CSS protection when you produce a backup.

I assumed that was the issue as they burned fine a few weeks ago.

The original disc will almost always be CSS protected. The backup should never be CSS protected. That's normal.

The burner burns everything else without a problem. The dvd's don't work on anything else. In fact they don't even look burned, they come out warm but do not have the "burnt" look. Like I mentioned, it worked fine until the latest slysoft update.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Anydvd. Anydvd simply removes protection, and based on your status screens, Anydvd is doing its job. In fact, if Anydvd didn't remove CSS protection, Clonedvd will refuse to work.

So this then becomes a Clonedvd, burner, and blank media issue.

Last edited:
*Whew!*

Ok, no updates on the firmware. I am going to just wipe it and see if that works. Everything I am doing suggests a software conflict to me. I am cooking off audio cd's like crazy and I even made a few data dvd's. The burner appears to be kosher.

Back