• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

backups: a friendly reminder

That sucks, but as others have said, live and learn. I haven't lost anything since floppies were a thing.

All my discs are backed up to hard drives, with hash and par2 files. Discs that were expensive, out-of-print, hard-to-find, or had difficulty ripping, are doubly backed up.
All my downloaded media files are doubly backed up to hard drives, with hash files.
My 8-Bay NAS is also doubly backed up, which hash files.

I have invested in several of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714BK6RX
Did you say several? ;)

I believe OP is referring to an external drive, and the "enclosure" is the case it is in, not the hard drive enclosure itself.

Yes...when he removed the drive from the external enclosure and unhooked the control board to directly hook it to his computer....the data is no longer accessible.

That sucks, but as others have said, live and learn. I haven't lost anything since floppies were a thing.

All my discs are backed up to hard drives, with hash and par2 files. Discs that were expensive, out-of-print, hard-to-find, or had difficulty ripping, are doubly backed up.
All my downloaded media files are doubly backed up to hard drives, with hash files.
My 8-Bay NAS is also doubly backed up, which hash files.

I have invested in several of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714BK6RX

That is something almost no one talks about is having your backups portable. I had to evacuate for a hurricane recently and I left my Plex server behind but the NAS and the backup drives came with me.

Instead of getting BD I suggest to shrink the UHD with CBD.

Here's the thing.

I don't like to remove anything from the disc, so prefer full disc backup.

Given that, if I compress the disc with CloneBD, it'd be at a lower resolution (I'm pretty sure).

Which defeats the purpose of having a UHD.

So I just go with Blu-Ray.

Again, this is for so-so titles that I don't care that much about.

Any real blockbuster or personal fav, I always get the UHD.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

did someone say backups?? 48 drives of media total, 1/2 of that is just backups.

Ay, chihuahua!!!!!

This is as bad as my set-up!! LOL!

OK, now I don't feel so bad.

I just totaled up all my backup drives: 53 (mostly 6TB, but some 3TB).

Yeah, me neither.

I just checked and I have 61, with the last 30 or so either 8 or 12T.

Maybe I'll start a 12 step program for you guys;)

LMAO!

Not for me - having too much fun. :LOL:

T

Here's the thing.

I don't like to remove anything from the disc, so prefer full disc backup.

Given that, if I compress the disc with CloneBD, it'd be at a lower resolution (I'm pretty sure).

Which defeats the purpose of having a UHD.

So I just go with Blu-Ray.

Again, this is for so-so titles that I don't care that much about.

Any real blockbuster or personal fav, I always get the UHD.

Thanks for the suggestion, though

T
Well, you pick. As long as the compression is not set too high I have never seen any degradation on my 65" OLED. And no- UHD resolution is kept.

But my buddy @kufo is expert. I only backup to hard disc since a while.

No?

Full UHD rez is retained?

Ok, I'll give it a try just to see the results.

Curious to see how much space can be saved while still keeping the UHD looking like a UHD.

T
Try and talk to @kufo . He backs up everything to 50GB discs while he still wants the "disc experience".

That is something almost no one talks about is having your backups portable. I had to evacuate for a hurricane recently and I left my Plex server behind but the NAS and the backup drives came with me.
All of my disks (sans Plex and windows) are in enclosures. Either USB or eSata. I can simply yank the cables and load them in a car if I had to.
Cable replacement is cheap. Replacing those disks, however, eeek

A single audio file could save up to 2 GB. CBD shows you the size of each single part from your disc.

Ok, good to know.

One thing I don't mind is keeping the English audio and subtitle tracks and tossing the others.

Well, I already know it will be time-intensive to compress UHD's but I do have one Desktop that's up to the task.

I'll experiment with this.

T

Ok, good to know.

One thing I don't mind is keeping the English audio and subtitle tracks and tossing the others.

Well, I already know it will be time-intensive to compress UHD's but I do have one Desktop that's up to the task.

I'll experiment with this.

T
You need a Nvidia graphics card >= 1050. Then it's a piece of cake.

For normal 66 GB shrinked to 46,6 GB it takes about 40 min for the job.

All of my disks (sans Plex and windows) are in enclosures. Either USB or eSata. I can simply yank the cables and load them in a car if I had to.
Cable replacement is cheap. Replacing those disks, however, eeek

Oh, nice. All my discs are in two wall shelves, 43 printer paper boxed, plus the top shelves of 3 large closets for the big boxed sets.

You need a Nvidia graphics card >= 1050. Then it's a piece of cake.

Yes, I have the 1070 so that equation is true. :=)

For normal 66 GB shrinked to 46,6 GB it takes about 40 min for the job.

Not bad.

So a 20G savings in 40 minutes.

A lot of the UHD's I used to try to compress were nearly full triple-layer in the 90's G, and I seem to remember rip times around 90 minutes.

Also I was probably compressng from disc and it takes longer.

Making an .iso first and compressing is quicker in CloneBD, but the added time to create the .iso makes the overall task take just as long I believe.

40 minutes per UHD I can live with.

OMG, way off topic for an AS thread.

Sorry, I'm done. :=)

T

Back