• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

backups: a friendly reminder

Yes, this is way off-topic. But deleting unneeded languages saves a lot of space. And reducing video to 2/3 of the original size I never saw any visual impact.

off-topic closed.

A lot of the UHD's I used to try to compress were nearly full triple-layer in the 90's G, and I seem to remember rip times around 90 minutes.
Exactly what it takes for me with my 1060 6GB DDR5 RAM.
A lot of the UHD's I used to try to compress were nearly full triple-layer in the 90's G, and I seem to remember rip times around 90 minutes.

I allwaways do my backup to HD. Better for testing and quicker compressing in my opinion.

You need a Nvidia graphics card >= 1050. Then it's a piece of cake.

Yup...the Nvidia NVENC Codec will produce a better encode with one pass than the standard H264 Codec does in 2 passes. Combined with my
Ryzen 9 5950X, it's killer fast.

I'm good. :dance:
96tb's of raw HD space
80tb's of raw back-up.

P.S. Don't mind the dirty air filter in front of the expansion unit. It was cleaning day.

IMG_20220106_220400.jpg

Yes, I have the 1070 so that equation is true. :=)

Not bad.

So a 20G savings in 40 minutes.

Also I was probably compressng from disc and it takes longer.

Making an .iso first and compressing is quicker in CloneBD, but the added time to create the .iso makes the overall task take just as long I believe.

40 minutes per UHD I can live with.

OMG, way off topic for an AS thread.

Sorry, I'm done. :=)

T
I'd like to keep it off-topic a bit longer, just to add some information...
NVENC only does support HEVC B-Frames from GTX1660 and up (or the new 1650 with TU116 chip), meaning the RTX series
With B-Frames you save even more space with the same quality (or increase quality given the same output size)

And yeah, the backup process of an UHD to 50GB usually takes about as long as the realtime-video data on that disk is ... with virtually no quality loss and keeping the resolution.

Wow, you know you're serious when you go for the server rack! nice!
It's just my audio rack in my living room.
It houses my main amp, Bluray Player etc. everything except for 2 amps which are in the basement and wired back and forth up to the living room to power my 2 - 21" subs.
I turn them on and off with an app on my phone.

IMG_20220308_074426.jpg

IMG_20210628_033509.jpg

I am a non techie, but have been in the computer hobby since the 1980s so I have lost a few drives here and there. I have learned to retire drives that remain powered on after around 5-6 years, assuming the risks of a failure grow higher the older the drive gets. I also bought a NAS and chose RAID 10 for ultimate protection by mirroring data across two drives. I realize this won't help much if the NAS itself fries the hard drives, but the risk of this kind of failure is pretty low. As cloud storage gets less costly, I would likely add this to my NAS to have yet another off-site backup.

I found it relatively simple to set up the NAS but have not immersed myself in it.

After all this time, I've only lost one drive since and the only inconvenience was spending the time to restore the files.

DQ, whatever happened to just watching the movie? Enjoying a movie at your cool apartment with a cool lady, nice cheap date LOL
I don't have a lot of movies compared to some but I own the bluray of over 95% of the 2100 movies I have on my NAS. They are all transferred 1:1 which is why I need so much space. Just a little over 50tbs in data right now. This also includes roughly 80 tv shows in DVD and Bluray I own.

As for watching them. From my stats on Emby before I started using AS I had watched 80% of them. Not bad I think.

Hey, I resemble that remark

Just curious what software y’all using for backup. Goodsync for Windows here .
Between all the NASes: the Synology build-in stuff... Hyper Backup, Drive
On all my PCs and VMs: Veeam community edition

Back