Backup DVD skipping.

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by Lopenator, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

Hey y'all. Having issues with playback on my backup DVDS. There will be random skipping/freezing on the backup DVD only. The files on the hard drive does not skip. Something is happening during the burning process. I really want to solve this issue. My optical drive is rated for x8 and I am burning at x6. Is there a setting I need to changed? I am burning on Vertabim DL +R. As stated above, the file on my PC does not skip.

Thanks fellas so much.

2. BrianG61UK

BrianG61UK Well-Known Member

As an experiment try burning even slower.
    Many drives that claim to be able to write at a certain speed actually produce quite poor disks if used at that speed and need to go much slower to make the best quality disks.

3. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

First try to burn slower. Secondly use Imgburn and regarding the layer break for DL+R try to avoid the utmost outer area for the first layer which is possible for these discs. The outer area is critical regarding quality / readability and should be avoided. And last but not least the burning strategy of the burners for the specific discs is important. LGs are lousy burners, Pioneers are good burners.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  4. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

Use image burn. So you're saying not to burn the DVD files, but make it an ISO instead? What would I need CloneDVD then for? My burner is a Dell external drive.

5. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

These options in Imgburn work for both ISO and files. Burning with CloneDVD is fine for single layer DVDs but Imgburn is more refined concerning the critical layer break for dual layer discs. It was just getting worse for BD when you even can't coose when to do the layer break. For good discs burnt, use a Pio drive, Verbatim discs and Imgburn. Just my 2 cents.

6. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

Okay thank you for the advice. I got one more question. How do I choose when to do a layer break? I had no idea that was even a thing.

7. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

If you want I can do some burns with dual layer DVDs using the Pioneer and a LG drive. I can also vary the layer break. It will cost me some discs and some time. Anything you can offer in return? :)

8. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Imgburn gives you that option if you hit burn. It asks for it.

9. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

The verbatim brand has been sold to CMC, are you sure you're using actual verbatim? What's the MID/DID? (although technically CMC could keep the MID the same and produce crap instead)

10. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

With quality scan afterwards with OptiDriveControl using a LiteOn drive. It shows the burn quality resulting.

11. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

The post above should answer your question.

12. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

I have no idea what a DID is. The disc says verbatim on them. Are you suggesting mine might be fakes? They were expensive.

13. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

I might take you up on that. I would like to try myself first though. I'm trying to learn.

14. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

A MID is a media identifier and the burners have burn strategies underlying that should be optimized for the specific discs. However, some companies do a better or worse job to optimize their burners for specific media. IMO - Pios do the best job regarding this. Then DL media is always critical at the outer edge - good strategy or bad - it should be avoided to burn data on it.

Lopenator likes this.
  15. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

How do I not burn data on the other edge? I thought my burner just.... burns it for lack of a better word. Lol

16. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Life is an eternal route of learning...

Lopenator likes this.
  17. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Imgburn ask you to pick the point of the layer change. The earlier the better but it also wants you to not do it in an area while a high bitrate occurs to avoid stuttering changing the layer.

Lopenator likes this.
  18. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

Thank you for your help!

19. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Write a PM as a reminder to me. I will do the tests then and report here.

20. Lopenator

Lopenator Member

So I am burning my first DVD using imgbrn now. After I click the burn button, a popup window opened asking about layer breakers. I picked the one that had the earliest chapter on it. Is that how I correctly set the layer break?