• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Backup DVD skipping.

Lopenator

Hey y'all. Having issues with playback on my backup DVDS. There will be random skipping/freezing on the backup DVD only. The files on the hard drive does not skip. Something is happening during the burning process. I really want to solve this issue. My optical drive is rated for x8 and I am burning at x6. Is there a setting I need to changed? I am burning on Vertabim DL +R. As stated above, the file on my PC does not skip.

Thanks fellas so much.

As an experiment try burning even slower.
Many drives that claim to be able to write at a certain speed actually produce quite poor disks if used at that speed and need to go much slower to make the best quality disks.

First try to burn slower. Secondly use Imgburn and regarding the layer break for DL+R try to avoid the utmost outer area for the first layer which is possible for these discs. The outer area is critical regarding quality / readability and should be avoided. And last but not least the burning strategy of the burners for the specific discs is important. LGs are lousy burners, Pioneers are good burners.

First try to burn slower. Secondly use Imgburn and regarding the layer break for DL+R try to avoid the utmost outer area for the first layer which is possible for these discs. The outer area is critical regarding quality / readability and should be avoided. And last but not least the burning strategy of the burners for the specific discs is important. LGs are lousy burners, Pioneers are good burners.
Use image burn. So you're saying not to burn the DVD files, but make it an ISO instead? What would I need CloneDVD then for? My burner is a Dell external drive.

These options in Imgburn work for both ISO and files. Burning with CloneDVD is fine for single layer DVDs but Imgburn is more refined concerning the critical layer break for dual layer discs. It was just getting worse for BD when you even can't coose when to do the layer break. For good discs burnt, use a Pio drive, Verbatim discs and Imgburn. Just my 2 cents.

These options in Imgburn work for both ISO and files. Burning with CloneDVD is fine for single layer DVDs but Imgburn is more refined concerning the critical layer break for dual layer discs. It was just getting worse for BD when you even can't coose when to do the layer break. For good discs burnt, use a Pio drive, Verbatim discs and Imgburn. Just my 2 cents.
Okay thank you for the advice. I got one more question. How do I choose when to do a layer break? I had no idea that was even a thing.

If you want I can do some burns with dual layer DVDs using the Pioneer and a LG drive. I can also vary the layer break. It will cost me some discs and some time. Anything you can offer in return? :)

Okay thank you for the advice. I got one more question. How do I choose when to do a layer break? I had no idea that was even a thing.
Imgburn gives you that option if you hit burn. It asks for it.

The verbatim brand has been sold to CMC, are you sure you're using actual verbatim? What's the MID/DID? (although technically CMC could keep the MID the same and produce crap instead)

If you want I can do some burns with dual layer DVDs using the Pioneer and a LG drive. I can also vary the layer break. It will cost me some discs and some time. Anything you can offer in return? :)
With quality scan afterwards with OptiDriveControl using a LiteOn drive. It shows the burn quality resulting.

The verbatim brand has been sold to CMC, are you sure you're using actual verbatim? What's the MID/DID? (although technically CMC could keep the MID the same and produce crap instead)
The post above should answer your question.

I have no idea what a DID is. The disc says verbatim on them. Are you suggesting mine might be fakes? They were expensive.

I might take you up on that. I would like to try myself first though. I'm trying to learn.

A MID is a media identifier and the burners have burn strategies underlying that should be optimized for the specific discs. However, some companies do a better or worse job to optimize their burners for specific media. IMO - Pios do the best job regarding this. Then DL media is always critical at the outer edge - good strategy or bad - it should be avoided to burn data on it.

A MID is a media identifier and the burners have burn strategies underlying that should be optimized for the specific discs. However, some companies do a better or worse job to optimize their burners for specific media. IMO - Pios do the best job regarding this. Then DL media is always critical at the outer edge - good strategy or bad - it should be avoided to burn data on it.
How do I not burn data on the other edge? I thought my burner just.... burns it for lack of a better word. Lol

Imgburn ask you to pick the point of the layer change. The earlier the better but it also wants you to not do it in an area while a high bitrate occurs to avoid stuttering changing the layer.

Imgburn ask you to pick the point of the layer change. The earlier the better but it also wants you to not do it in an area while a high bitrate occurs to avoid stuttering changing the layer.
Thank you for your help!

Write a PM as a reminder to me. I will do the tests then and report here.

So I am burning my first DVD using imgbrn now. After I click the burn button, a popup window opened asking about layer breakers. I picked the one that had the earliest chapter on it. Is that how I correctly set the layer break?

Back