• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Backup copy won't play on DVD player but works on computer

cas956

The movie is End of Watch. Origin is USA. I'm not getting any error messages. None of my DVD players recognize it but the computer drive does and plays it. This is one of five backups that are doing this. The others are Taken 2, House at the End of the Street, Hatfields & McCoys and Flight. I am running the latest version, just updated last week and made sure I was in "Default" status in AnyDVD.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.5.0_Info_D_VIDEO_DVD.zip
    81.8 KB · Views: 19
You don't say how you made the backup. I suspect the problem is going to be down to that, or possibly the brand of discs you are using

I've made hundreds of discs using the same brand. As far as how I made it, I usually run it through dvd shrink then burn it with CloneDVD. This particular disc I tried something different. I ripped it to the hard disk with AnyDVD, then DVD shrink finally burned with DVD clone. Just to see if ripping it with AnyDVD would make a difference. I have wondered if I even need to bother with DVD shrink though. I've used it out of habit (before I purchased CloneDVD).

The movie is End of Watch. Origin is USA. I'm not getting any error messages. None of my DVD players recognize it but the computer drive does and plays it. This is one of five backups that are doing this. The others are Taken 2, House at the End of the Street, Hatfields & McCoys and Flight. I am running the latest version, just updated last week and made sure I was in "Default" status in AnyDVD.
I really wonder, how a DVD+R disc can be CSS encrypted.
From which disc did you made the logfile? Original? Copy?

The log file is from a copy. I noticed the CSS protection right away on all these copies that don't work. I had a couple of copies do this a few months ago. I waited a month or two and ran the copies through AnyDVD again and burned new ones. Then they worked fine. When I run the original it shows that it is removing the CSS. Up until now I was thinking because these have been new releases, Slysoft hadn't quite solved the decryption and that is why those couple copies worked a month or two later......

The log file is from a copy. I noticed the CSS protection right away on all these copies that don't work. I had a couple of copies do this a few months ago. I waited a month or two and ran the copies through AnyDVD again and burned new ones. Then they worked fine. When I run the original it shows that it is removing the CSS. Up until now I was thinking because these have been new releases, Slysoft hadn't quite solved the decryption and that is why those couple copies worked a month or two later......

This has nothing to do with AnyDVD. How was this particular disc (where you posted the logfile) burned?

This disc was scanned and ripped to the hard drive using AnyDVD. Then I ran it through DVD shrink and finally burned with CloneDVD. If I run this copy through AnyDVD it will tell me that the CSS has been removed (again). I can re-burn it and it will still show CSS protection when scanned yet again. That tells me that AnyDVD is not removing the protection even though it says it is........

Last edited:
This disc was scanned and ripped to the hard drive using AnyDVD. Then I ran it through DVD shrink and finally burned with CloneDVD.

That method is used by many people here (becuse DVDShrink leaves less compression artifacts in the picture).
Make sure AnyDVD is at DEFAULT and rip to Hard Disk... (not image).
Then if you run that rip through Shrink and burn the result with CloneDVD it outta work.

A logfile from an original disk would help too.

-W

Thanks, CLAMS. The log file is attached to my first post. This is the only disk I ripped to the hard drive first and it still didn't work. The other 4 that don't work were sent right to DVD shrink after scanning it. I've done hundreds of discs and it wasn't until the last few months I've been having this problem.....

Thanks, CLAMS. The log file is attached to my first post. This is the only disk I ripped to the hard drive first and it still didn't work. The other 4 that don't work were sent right to DVD shrink after scanning it. I've done hundreds of discs and it wasn't until the last few months I've been having this problem.....

In settings > program settings check off "show information window for new media"
Then anytime AnyDVD reports "found and removed structural copy protections" you NEED to rip to folder first - then apply DVD Shrink.

And the logfile asked for - was from the factory disk - not the copy.

-W

This disc was scanned and ripped to the hard drive using AnyDVD. Then I ran it through DVD shrink and finally burned with CloneDVD. If I run this copy through AnyDVD it will tell me that the CSS has been removed (again). I can re-burn it and it will still show CSS protection when scanned yet again. That tells me that AnyDVD is not removing the protection even though it says it is........

No, wrong conclusion. A DVD+R disc cannot be CSS protected. AnyDVD asks your reader, and it lies. But this shouldn't cause any problem, as the written data is not encrypted.
More puzzling - why is the booktype of this disc DVD+R. CloneDVD should bitset the disc to appear as a DVD-ROM. Maybe your DVD player doesn't like DVD+R discs (mostly for political reasons), and the working discs have DVD-ROM as booktype. You can easily check by looking at the AnyDVD status window.

Did you recently change your writer, or writer firmware?

Some obvious problems are showing here???

Current profile: DVD+R
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2286112 sectors (4465 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: VIDEO_DVD
Media is CSS protected!
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

DVD doesn't come Region free that I know of only pirated and bootlegs are the only one that comes in this format. And dvd+r isn't a dvd movie format they come in DVD-ROM. That is most likely why it isn't playing in standalone as they are sometimes picky and want DVD-ROM format to play.

Some obvious problems are showing here???
DVD doesn't come Region free that I know of only pirated and bootlegs are the only one that comes in this format. And dvd+r isn't a dvd movie format they come in DVD-ROM. That is most likely why it isn't playing in standalone as they are sometimes picky and want DVD-ROM format to play.

Man - Is this post ever proof that you should read the WHOLE thread before saying anything in reply. :clap:

-W

Man - Is this post ever proof that you should read the WHOLE thread before saying anything in reply. :clap:

-W

Read it alot more then you did .... maybe you should see that if that was a commercial DVD then the title name would show up on the log file as to which it didn't. And since the log is not of the original disc then it stands the OP isn't the owner of the Original DVD. As some already said it isn't the original source DVD and the log file should be from and only from the Original DVD itself not backup or backup of sorts.

Last edited:
Here is the log file from the original disc....

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.5.0_Info_D_END_OF_WATCH.zip
    107.8 KB · Views: 8
Here is the log file from the original disc....

Well when you backup the DVD that should be this format
Booktype: dvd-rom

I think you should check what kinda burner you have by looking at the label on the drive itself and see if that drive is capable of doing booktype to DVD-ROM format as that is the format movies come in besides BD movies. That wouldn't the first thing you need to do is find out why you can't burn the backup to DVD-ROM as that is the format need to play a dvd properly especially on standalone as a format to recognize it is a dvd that it will play.

I have burned a couple hundred back ups on this burner. No problems until now. And it has done this on 5 of the last 6 movies I've tried. All new releases(within the last 2 months).

Reply to #12 by James of Slysoft. Ok, I typed a whole response and now deleted it after checking the booktype on a disc that works and the this one that doesn't. The disc that works is a DVD-ROM. This one, that doesn't work, is a booktype DVD+R. This is the problem. How or why did it change book types and how can I fix this? I have burned a couple hundred discs on this burner and have not changed the writer or firmware. To my knowledge nothing has been changed......

Back