• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Audio Issues... Angry Birds BR

xCharvelx416

I decided to take a leap of faith, and give CloneBD a try. It's the trial version.. 1.1.1.0.

I am having similar issues to the audio post from mmj30528.. in that no matter what format I chose, the audio sounds completely compressed, what I call "tunnel" sound .. echoing, reverb.. and words are all but audible.

Machine:
AMD FX8350
16GB DDR3
MSI Nvidia 750Ti (Cuda score of 5.0 - driver version 376.)

I have done the following tests, each with the same file from the disk: (a song video - 6:33 mins in length)

MKV 5.1 Surround
Test one: 0:40 seconds Highest Speed HW / AAC
Test two: 1:24 minutes Hightest Speed No HW / AAC

Test three: 0:40 seconds Highest Speed HW / AC3
Test four: 1:26 minutes Highest Speed No HW / AC3

MP4 5.1 Surround
Test one: 0:43 secs Highest Speed HW / AAC
Test two: 0:43 secs Highest Speed HW / AC3

Test three: 1:26 mins Highest Speed No HW / AAC
Test four: 1:25 mins Highest Speed No HW / AC3

MP4 5.1 Surround
Test one: 0:43 secs Highest Quality HW / AAC

Each test got progressively worse as I went through them, and decided to just stop, instead of doing another high quality, or avg quality tests.

Hope this helps in finding the issue!

Attachments

• Angry Birds.cbdlog
    197.9 KB · Views: 1
Do you have AnyDVD running in the background, and if so do you have the 'Remove Cinavia Watermark from CloneBD...' option ticked? If so untick it and try again.

Also: The AAC encoder (libav) is known to be troublesome. There are plans to replace it.
Are you entirely certain, that you had that bad sound with AC3 as well?

Nothing of that sort has ever been reported.

It may be, as Adbear said, AnyDVD's Cinavia removal, though your description ("words are all but audible") doesn't fit, as this normally only affects music negatively.

I was just checking the Cinavia part to eliminate it

Yes do as @Adbear suggested and make sure that the tick box for "AnyDVDHD cinivia removal feature" for cloneBD is not ticked.
anydvd-12-programsettings.png

Then they can eliminate that.

As fate would have it, that option was checked...howev

As soon as I get a chance, I will process that same video again and compare.

@Pete:
All of the background sounds were pretty distorted.. as well as the actual words coming from the characters. If each file wasn't 450MB in size, I would upload one of them to let you all hear what I am hearing. If I were to compare it to technology from way back in the day, it would be like running a 45 RPM record at 33 RPMs...literally sounds like the voice is dragging.

I'll repost with the results here shortly.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
Ok... I ran four more tests.

Each HW accelerated.. and they all came out with no background distortions.. so that's a good thing.

AAC - AC3 - DTS - Lossless

If I were to rank how each one of them sounded to me.. (Sound system is SoundBlaster Z, 5.1 w/ Logitech 250w 5.1 speakers)

DTS sounded the best... followed closely by Lossless, then AAC, then AC3. DTS seemed to be able to separate the center sounds/voices better than the others.

Which setting do you guys typically use, or recommend?

I am attaching a newer logfile for comparison.

Attachments

• AngryBirds NoCinavia.cbdlog
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
If each file wasn't 450MB in size, I would upload one of them to let you all hear what I am hearing.

Somehow a lot of CloneBD's features keep going unnoticed: did you know, that you can
  • clip titles (cut at the beginning and/or the end) to convert only a small snippet?
    or
  • convert and abort at any stage - the resulting MKV or MP4 file will be fully functional, they are finalized despite the abort
That way you can create a sample of any size.

Ok... I ran four more tests.

Each HW accelerated.. and they all came out with no background distortions.. so that's a good thing.

AAC - AC3 - DTS - Lossless

If I were to rank how each one of them sounded to me.. (Sound system is SoundBlaster Z, 5.1 w/ Logitech 250w 5.1 speakers)

DTS sounded the best... followed closely by Lossless, then AAC, then AC3. DTS seemed to be able to separate the center sounds/voices better than the others.

Which setting do you guys typically use, or recommend?

I am attaching a newer logfile for comparison.
Since I have a Roku that I can use my MKV's with I always do lossless video and Dolby Digital (AC3) for audio at the highest bitrate plus a minor volume increase. The reason I change audio to AC3 is its a common codec and no matter where I use it it with whatever device. It will work.

But as @Pete said just use clips of for testing and finding the best for YOUR setup.

Somehow a lot of CloneBD's features keep going unnoticed: did you know, that you can
  • clip titles (cut at the beginning and/or the end) to convert only a small snippet?
    or
  • convert and abort at any stage - the resulting MKV or MP4 file will be fully functional, they are finalized despite the abort
That way you can create a sample of any size.

Again... appreciate the info!!

I rarely post with questions, until after I have tried to read up on as many posts as possible, or if I run into something that I might be doing wrong, and since you all have done way more encoding that I can dream of doing, you guys pretty much nail the answer to my issues right on the head.

I just started trying out CloneBD.. and will have to give it's features some trial runs before the trial runs out. I have a few free apps that I use if I want a file to be a specific file size.. seeing as C-BD's typical output for a 1280 file, is around 8-9GB. That being said, after a few more tests, I will most likely add this app to my arsenal.. as I like to have lots of options.

I believe, I've read in this forum... that they may be adding the feature of subtitle selection options for MP4, like MKV already has.. that would be a plus!

Since I have a Roku that I can use my MKV's with I always do lossless video and Dolby Digital (AC3) for audio at the highest bitrate plus a minor volume increase. The reason I change audio to AC3 is its a common codec and no matter where I use it it with whatever device. It will work.

But as @Pete said just use clips of for testing and finding the best for YOUR setup.

I will definitely be trying out and testing, the four different audio options present in app.. it just so happened that when I went back, and re-ripped the same title, I tried out all four options. For my audio system on the computer, DTS sounded better than the other three.. but as you mentioned, AC3 is more compatible with say, VLC. I use VLC exclusively on my laptop that runs the home theater. So far, I have encoded 500 DVDs to MP4s, thus testing C-BD to make just movie only back ups from my BRs.

seeing as C-BD's typical output for a 1280 file, is around 8-9GB.

There is no "typical output size" - YOU select the desired size using the slider. For a 1280, you'll typically end up with a range between roughly 1 GB and 15 GB (though that also depends on the audio settings/source).

Thanks, Pete.

I just started playing around with the program, will take some time getting used to using it's features.

Back