• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AS Option To Download H.265 HEVC

MadMopar

I know this has been talked about before, but I can't find anything current to answer my question.

Is there a plan to enable downloading of HEVC codec in Anystream yet?

Amazon does have it available and the file size makes a huge difference.

Now that batch downloading is available, HEVC is the ONLY thing holding me back from using AS as my default app.

I really like and prefer RedFox over the other, but HEVC is a really big deal for me.

Thanks and here's hoping for HEVC.

It really just depends what the providers offer to AS. HM offers it. AP does not as of yet. Though I'm sure the devs are working on it since they added it for HM. But that's just speculation my part.

Incidentally I noticed that hmax H.265 encodes are softer than the H.264 encodes at least for 1080p material, but that might just be me

I saw a reference to HEVC in the audio popup in an earlier version of AS of an Amazon DL, just yesterday. It appeared to have been inserted into the name of one of the lower quality streams. I did not bite.

I saw a reference to HEVC in the audio popup in an earlier version of AS of an Amazon DL, just yesterday. It appeared to have been inserted into the name of one of the lower quality streams. I did not bite.

I do know that it is available in AP. I get it all the time from another program, but I really want it here in AS.

Incidentally I noticed that hmax H.265 encodes are softer than the H.264 encodes at least for 1080p material, but that might just be me

Can you clarify what you mean by softer?

Thanks all.

H.265/x.265 encodes are known to look mushy and washed up (or soft) while H.264/x264 looks more crisp at the cost of about 1/3 more storage need

Hmmm.

Maybe I'd better take a better look at this and see if it is affecting my videos.

Thanks

Need to check this, i have been doing HEVC but i have not done a side by side comparison

HEVC (x265) is available at AP. I personally don't like it, I grew up with x264 which is absolutely fine for 1080p.

For switching to x265 in the 'GetPlaybackResources' request URL the string "deviceVideoCodecOverride=H264" must be replaced with "deviceVideoCodecOverride=H265".

There is a Tampermonkey script for switching to x265 in the browser: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/430588-amazon-hevc-enabler (so every AP subscriber can compare the video qualities on his live screen right now).

Of course, the implementation at AS would mean a lot of additional programming (menus, settings, SQL). And, since the manifest is different to x264, different keys are needed - so AS would start with an empty "ODB" for x265 ;)

P.S. Note to Devs/Insiders: Using the same way by substituting "deviceBitrateAdaptationsOverride=CVBR%2CCBR" with "deviceBitrateAdaptationsOverride=CBR" another manifest with CBR video could be downloaded, in one recent test I've got a 10% higher video bitrate than with CVBR.

So, assuming that there will be a working CDM, there are plenty of various games possible with AP :)

Of course, the quality/bitrate ratio has changed over the years (just remember the DVD with MPEG2). But this talk is about preserving the highest possible quality which came from the studio. Talking in H264 terms: CBR is comparable to a BD-Remux, VBR to a good quality rip. There are even closed forums where VBR is forbidden. And I know a lot of people collecting only BD-Remuxes.

Talking about the development of AS business: The programming efforts to add CBR will be the same like adding x265. I personally can easily live with x264 CVBR, but for sure the number of clients could be increased adding x265 and/or CBR.

I was not going to argue pro or contra these options, it was just a kind of technical info I posted :)

X265 is definitely available on Amazon Prime, and no it isn't recode, HBO Max and Amazon Prime is the only two that I know of that has X265 as far as I know.

The point is X265 is available on Amazon Prime but the developers don't know how to access it or don't want too.

AS is just downloading the original stream. So it depends how it is encoded. AS doesn't recode.
I did not blame AS to recode :)

The truth is that AP is offering 3 different streams: x264 CBR, x264 CVBR and x265 CVBR. All of them are are encodes of the source material which comes from the studio. CBR has the largest file size, x265 has the smallest.

AS is using one of these streams - x264 CVBR, of course via direct web-download of the stream without any further recoding. I'm sure that for 95% of the users this sole format is fine. My intend was to show that choosing one of the other two streams is technically quite simple.

HEVC (x265) is available at AP. I personally don't like it, I grew up with x264 which is absolutely fine for 1080p.

For switching to x265 in the 'GetPlaybackResources' request URL the string "deviceVideoCodecOverride=H264" must be replaced with "deviceVideoCodecOverride=H265".

There is a Tampermonkey script for switching to x265 in the browser: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/430588-amazon-hevc-enabler (so every AP subscriber can compare the video qualities on his live screen right now).

Of course, the implementation at AS would mean a lot of additional programming (menus, settings, SQL). And, since the manifest is different to x264, different keys are needed - so AS would start with an empty "ODB" for x265 ;)

P.S. Note to Devs/Insiders: Using the same way by substituting "deviceBitrateAdaptationsOverride=CVBR%2CCBR" with "deviceBitrateAdaptationsOverride=CBR" another manifest with CBR video could be downloaded, in one recent test I've got a 10% higher video bitrate than with CVBR.

So, assuming that there will be a working CDM, there are plenty of various games possible with AP :)

I wonder if you could do this in AnyStream via CharlesProxy or similar.

Back