• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Appears Amazon to start ads in Feb on prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescock1

It appears Amazon are from Feb starting to do ads in there programs and films if your on prime seems they are wanting a extra 2.99 a month to be ad free

Will this mean we need to pay more like on Netflix I think it is AS won’t work in the ad tier or is it one of the others ??

Or will AS be able to still get the full film like on freeview (Amazon)
???

An update on Prime Video​

Dear Prime member,
We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than ad-supported TV channels and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional £2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

It appears Amazon are from Feb starting to do ads in there programs and films if your on prime seems they are wanting a extra 2.99 a month to be ad free

Will this mean we need to pay more like on Netflix I think it is AS won’t work in the ad tier or is it one of the others ??

Or will AS be able to still get the full film like on freeview (Amazon)
???

An update on Prime Video​

Dear Prime member,
We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than ad-supported TV channels and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional £2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.
Just a wait and see...if they don't change their current system, it will be the same as freevee. If they do change it, it could force you to pay more.

Ah, I forgot this is for AS users. I don't use it. I was trying to find a way to mitigate the ads that are coming.

Ah, I forgot this is for AS users. I don't use it. I was trying to find a way to mitigate the ads that are coming.
There's an extension named Freevee Skipper that fast forwards the ads. As the name implies it was meant for Freevee but I just checked a video on my Max with ads subscription and it also worked there. Would be surprised to see more extensions/scripts to skip ads being released after Amazon implements ads.

Honestly, I don't know of any streaming service that burns-in ads. The nearest thing to that would probably be the content creators on platforms such as YouTube (in how they have the "... but first, a word from our sponsor ..." section baked into their videos -- sometimes minutes long, other times only a brief 10 or so seconds.)

You can mitigate the Ads without AnyStream, just pay 3.00 more a month. 😉
AnyStram?!? 🤣

The ad-free option is currently "only" US$36 + tax a year, but I doubt that won't be increased in the near future.

From an email about the situation...
Prime is a very compelling value

Less and less true as Amazon membership prices keep going up and the actual benefits become less and less of a benefit.

M'ok, I'm done rantin' 😇

Just a wait and see...if they don't change their current system, it will be the same as freevee. If they do change it, it could force you to pay more.
Ads are coming to Prime, so it will be just as annoying as FreeVee most likely. If only the people who are setting up the ad breaks would be less heavy-footed and not slap the ads into the middle of dialog or a music sting so when the content resumes playing.

I have noticed the length of FreeVee ads have steadily been increasing for several months, so I expect the Prime ads to start out very short and then over time increase.

As regards the impact on AnyStream downloads - my suspicion is this:
If Amazon are offering an Ad-Free version for an extra fee, it clearly means there has to be an Ad-Free version on their server.
I highly doubt that they are going to host two versions; one with burnt-in Ads and one without. It's a waste of space and, as another has noted, precludes them from trageting the Ads in any meaningful way. Therefore, I conclude the stored file will indeed be Ad-Free (just as Freevee files are) and the player/App/server is configured to pause playback and interrupt it with ads at certain marked points.
Therefore, if true, it seems entirely likely that AS will treat these just as it does with FreeVee offerings and ignore the Ads.

Thinking about this topic... Seems burned in ads would be a huge problem. I doubt ad buys are for a long period of time. Thus if each title has burned in ads, they would have to re-master the title (lots of them) as one ad buy ends, and a new one begins. Doing things the FreeVee way means they can change up their ad rotation at will.

Some of us remember when Prime used to also mean 2-day shipping. Each progressive step gets worse and worse, more and more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back