• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anyone ever had any luck removing scratches from DVDs?

TShannon

Anyone ever had any luck removing scratches from DVDs and have advice/tricks to share? I tracked down one of those wonders of late-night '90s Skinemax, "The Bikini Carwash Company"... and, of course, when it arrived, the DVD had a bad scratch. It'll play for about 10 minutes and then error out, and ImgBurn will error out at about 15% trying to copy it.

I've taken toothpaste to it a couple of times, and the scratch is visibly improved, so barring any other hints, I may just keep trying that, but thought I'd see if anyone here knew any better tricks!

I would think there is a way to polish the scratch out, or buff it out. But at the same time I would also assume that process has a danger of destroying the disc. What about using a Dremel on a low speed with a waxing/buffing pad on the scratch itself?

Also I think that title is on prime as well.

There are devices that can do it, but it all depends on how deep the scratch is. Superficial ones can often be removed, but if it goes deep (like most) its usually a lost cause

Unfortunately not available on Prime for us in the US - shows "currently unavailable to watch in your location". :-(

Searching online points to car wax as a trick that seems to work for some, with it filling in scratches enough to make the laser able to read again. I'll probably pick up some fresh wax tomorrow and let people know whether it ends up working for me!

Well, I didn't get around to doing it last weekend, since I'd forgotten that was Easter weekend, but I'm pleased to report that while it took me around eight passes with toothpaste and then applying Meguire's car polish to the disc, I finally did get it to read error-free! :D

Well, I didn't get around to doing it last weekend, since I'd forgotten that was Easter weekend, but I'm pleased to report that while it took me around eight passes with toothpaste and then applying Meguire's car polish to the disc, I finally did get it to read error-free! :D
Never giving up is a great quality to learn in life, I admire you.;)

These type machines are still around, I have the Procare. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027SFPIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They work pretty well on DVD and CD, but not at all on BD. Anyways, I've had quite a few DVD go from unplayable to flawless after polishing and cleaning.
You are correct, in the days gone by that specific machine you mentioned is a great way to refurb a DVD or CD but, you have to ask yourself," now that it is 2022 am I going to use it enough to justify the cost?" If the answer is yes, by all means, get one.

You are correct, in the days gone by that specific machine you mentioned is a great way to refurb a DVD or CD but, you have to ask yourself," now that it is 2022 am I going to use it enough to justify the cost?" If the answer is yes, by all means, get one.
Here's one for the cost of a movie. They don't do much for BD/UHD discs on account of the scratch-resistant coatings, but they will clean and polish them which is sometimes all that's needed.

Back