• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD UHD Drives and Firmware Questions

Purchased another LG BH16NS55 today at a very cheap price (€ 55,00) in retail version.

Manufactered in 2017 and with 1.02 FW. I was really lucky (but even with 1.03 onboard it would never been a problem :p ).

Now I've converted into WH16NS60 1.01, so I have both Real and Friendly UHD drives. :dance:

Is this an educated guess, or just
an assumption based on LG's changelog ?
LG released a Firmware update for all their BDXL ("UHD Friendly") Drives on the same day in December. They all made the BDXL Drives, fully UHD Compatible as described in the LG Change Log. This is important, because to be UHD Compatible is to have AACS 2.0 and all the added DRM that comes with it. UHD is a specification on top of the BDXL and that is the spec with which all 4K/UHD Blu-ray releases go by. AnyDVD HD cannot decrypt UHD Discs in a UHD (not BDXL) Drive. Beyond reading the Change Log, several other people with these drives updated their firmware, immediately, and discovered the problem (this was primarily with DeUHD and MakeMKV - as they were the first to decrypt UHD Blu-rays). So, it is more than an educated guess; it is understanding the difference between BDXL & UHD and feedback from those that updated their firmware.

No offense, but as long as noone confirmes this with PowerDVD in a fully compliant environment this is pure guesswork - same applies to TeddyRaspin's converted drives.
What does the CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor say ?

@SLKabaker

You're wrong, if I can tell you these words, because LG released a firmware which makes any UHD Friendly device to not recognize anymore any UHD disc inserted. If it was true that this upgrade enable full UHD capabilities, then I should be able to read UHD discs inserted, where for "read" I mean that the disc can be accessed by File Explorer, or at least I can see label and directories. Now, as nothing of all that happens, the only certified thing is that 1.03 firmware (or other upgrade versions) has the effect of total inhibition of UHD capabilities.

No offense, but as long as noone confirmes this with PowerDVD in a fully compliant environment this is pure guesswork - same applies to TeddyRaspin's converted drives.

In my own case PowerDVD says my CPU has not SGX instructions as well as my VGA adapter (NVidia) does not meet UHD system requirements, thus my UHD real device is not the bottleneck. :)

@SLKabaker

You're wrong, if I can tell you these words, because LG released a firmware which makes any UHD Friendly device to not recognize anymore any UHD disc inserted. If it was true that this upgrade enable full UHD capabilities, then I should be able to read UHD discs inserted, where for "read" I mean that the disc can be accessed by File Explorer, or at least I can see label and directories. Now, as nothing of all that happens, the only certified thing is that 1.03 firmware (or other upgrade versions) has the effect of total inhibition of UHD capabilities.

AACS, Cyberlink, Intel and Microsoft are all working together to prohibit access to UHD Discs unless you system meets all their requirements. Intel makes HDCP and Kabylake was the first CPU/GPU to be HDCP 2.2 & AACS 2.0 Compliant. UHD Drives are purposely blocking file exploration through BUS Encryption. They don't want any software to be able to see the files, because of how successful decryption has been with [standard] Blu-ray. Again, UHD is a specification above BDXL and is tightly focused on firmware & software DRM. The fact that Explorer cannot see the files or even recognize that a disc is in the drive validates exactly what I have been saying.

Excerpt from LG's Support Page:

2.Improvement Point

◆ Model : BE16NU50
◆ Version : N1.02
◆ Improvement Point : Improved BD UHD disc compatibility

They have improved BD UHD Disc compatability, by adding the full "rules" put in place by the BDA (and other UHD bodies) to prohibit any level of access to these discs, unless all security/DRM measures have been met and even then, it is treated like a stream of data not actual files for the system to access.

I have an ASUS BW-16D1HT w/fw 1.01. Does the fw have to be 3.00? As-is, I popped in my only UHD (The Martian) and the drive never becomes ready. Just like any other drive that isn't capable of reading UHDs.

Thanks!
You have a firmware that was issued back in Dec 2016, I'm not sure that firmware will work but it might. You should be able to update to 3.00 and still maintain the ability to rip UHD discs. I'm not sure about any firmware version more recent than that.

I know that early LG WH16NS40 models, which this Asus drive is(just rebadged), are not capable of ripping UHD discs. If your drive is old enough to have 2016 firmware it may be too old to have the capability.

I would try updating it to 3.00 and see what happens. It doesn't appear that 3.00 is available at the Asus site anymore. I believe it can be found from someone here, I think they post here as "TeddyRaspin"?

https://www.asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/HelpDesk_Download/
It's the drive that's inside my "Acronova Nimbie USB 3.0 Blu-ray/CD/DVD AutoLoader NB21-BR". I had to go back and check my email to find out when I had ordered the thing. Turns out I ordered it 20151123. I hadn't realized it was a BW-16D1HT until I was looking through this thread and noticed it in the open AnyDVDHD window. Just prior to that I had placed an order for the LG WH16NS40 since that was in an earlier post of compatible drives. I was super excited to see the BW-16D1HT since the Nimbie is main workhorse of my .ISO creation workflow. It would be flat out amazing if that could support UHDs.

When news of the leaked keys dropped, I didn't know, at that time, that only "friendly" drives would be required to take advantage of the oops. I contacted Acronova about seeing if they did anything to the fw of the drive or if an off-the-shelf drive would work as long as the tray mech was ==. They indicated it would but w/out their special alignment jig, it would be nearly impossible for me to get the new drive properly aligned.

That said, I don't know if I can crack it open to the point where I can stick it onto a SATA bus to flash the thing w/out mucking up the alignment. Any idea of there's a flasher that will work over USB?
You definitely want to backup your current Firmware before updating. After you have backed up your current Firmware, you'll want to update your Firmware to Version 3.02 (not 3.03). Firmware 3.02 is the final BDXL ("UHD Friendly") Firmware. For those with version 3.00, you should really update to 3.02 as well; it makes the drive quieter, rips faster and improves overall compatibility of the drive with Windows 10 (and optimizes its ability to read Discs).

When updating to your Firmware, make sure AnyDVD HD is turned off (right click the icon and select "Exit"). I was not able to update over USB and used a SATA to eSATA connection. However, there are plenty of people that were able to update over USB. It sounds like the USB adapter on your drive was custom designed for it, so it sounds like it should work. Worse case scenario, you run the 3.02 Firmware Updater and nothing happens. In that case, you would have to remove the drive from the USB enclosure and update over SATA (and/or eSATA). Ultimately, you should confirm that your drive can handle the 3.02 Firmware, in general, before attempting to update over USB or SATA.

You definitely want to backup your current Firmware before updating. After you have backed up your current Firmware, you'll want to update your Firmware to Version 3.02 (not 3.03). Firmware 3.02 is the final BDXL ("UHD Friendly") Firmware. For those with version 3.00, you should really update to 3.02 as well; it makes the drive quieter, rips faster and improves overall compatibility of the drive with Windows 10 (and optimizes its ability to read Discs).

When updating to your Firmware, make sure AnyDVD HD is turned off (right click the icon and select "Exit"). I was not able to update over USB and used a SATA to eSATA connection. However, there are plenty of people that were able to update over USB. It sounds like the USB adapter on your drive was custom designed for it, so it sounds like it should work. Worse case scenario, you run the 3.02 Firmware Updater and nothing happens. In that case, you would have to remove the drive from the USB enclosure and update over SATA (and/or eSATA). Ultimately, you should confirm that your drive can handle the 3.02 Firmware, in general, before attempting to update over USB or SATA.

Worked like a charm. Thank you very much. Do you have the flash for the LG WH16NS40, SVC Code:NS50? My drive has ROM VER: 1:03. I need to flash back to 1.02.

Last edited:
Worked like a charm. Thank you very much. Do you have the flash for the LG WH16NS40, SVC Code:NS50? My drive has ROM VER: 1:03. I need to flash back to 1.02.
No . I don't understand most of it. I found the flash that Skabaker posted easy. It took a few minutes to flash from 3.00 to 3.02. I was looking for as simple for the LG drive but I will take a look at dosflash firmware backup. I guess its best to backup the firmware before flashing.
I am glad the Asus Firmware worked for you. Unfortunately, I do not have a link for any of LG's official Firmware (last "UHD Friendly" versions). Regardless, you wouldn't be able to run their 1.02 Update on a drive with 1.03 or higher; as these updaters only work to upgrade to a newer/higher version, not to a lower version. As far as I know, the DOS Flash way, is the only way to downgrade your Firmware. Sorry. Good luck with all that.

I guess its best to backup the firmware before flashing.
It's essential to make a backup because you have to inject parts of it into a clean 1.02 firmware.
Without backup -> no working 1.02 device/downgrade firmware !

If you have any questions: ask.
That's what the forum is for.

Mike at the makemkvforum said he is making an easier procedure for flashing firmware. I'm going to wait. The procedures I have read using the DOS Flash are way beyond my comprehension. I likely damage my computer trying to complete it. Thank you for you interest. For now I have the correct firmware for the ASUS drive and am awaiting Wonder Woman UHD blu-ray to arrive.

I noticed the LG BE16NU50 external writer doesn't list it as a UHD drive. Will it rip UHDs with AnyDVD HD? Will it rip with HDR or Dolby Vision depending what's on the UHD?

The descriptions I've found of the drive says it's a Blu-ray writer & doesn't mention anything about UHDs.

If so do you rip to .iso? Is there anyway to make it to where it is playable as some type of file that the Oppo 203 UHD player would play on a hard drive hooked up to the Oppo player?

Thanks. I'm just starting to read up on ripping my UHDs to hard drives.

Would it be possible to rip it on a computer that is using Windows 7 that doesn't have a video card that supports UHD?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I noticed the LG BE16NU50 external writer doesn't list it as a UHD drive.

As to will it rip? Do a Google for 'uhd friendly drives and that will tell you'

Will it rip UHDs with AnyDVD HD? Will it rip with HDR or Dolby Vision depending what's on the UHD?

AnyDVD nor your drive care about that. To them it's all just data made up of 1's and 0's

The descriptions I've found of the drive says it's a Blu-ray writer & doesn't mention anything about UHDs.

Probably not looking good enough. Look for bd-xl (TL/QL)

If so do you rip to .iso?

(UHD) BD is recommended to be ripped to iso or you lose various disc layout optimizations. For 3d discs it's even mandatory

Is there anyway to make it to where it is playable as some type of file that the Oppo 203 UHD player would play on a hard drive hooked up to the Oppo player?

That has nothing to do with AnyDVD or it's uhd ripping abilities. The proper place for that is either the high definition hardware section or the oppo forums.

Would it be possible to rip it on a computer that is using Windows 7 that doesn't have a video card that supports UHD?

Ripping doesn't give a rats ass whether you're using on board GPU or dedicated one. There's only 3 things involved.

- anydvd
- your optical drive
- a hard/SSD drive as the target

Now playback, that's a different ballgame but also nothing to do with AnyDVD

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I noticed the LG BE16NU50 external writer doesn't list it as a UHD drive. Will it rip UHDs with AnyDVD HD?
Yes, the BE16NU50 is a UHD friendly drive. With firmware v1.02 this capability was removed by LG.
But there is a way to downgrade the firmware back to v1.01.

Probably not looking good enough. Look for bd-xl (TL/QL)
...and what does that say about UHD friendliness ?

...and what does that say about UHD friendliness ?

Everything. The point was that that addresses the 'Says nothing about uhd's'. Uhd afaik currently always are bd-xl (TL or QL).

Obviously they're not going to say if a drive is 'friendly' or not and if so with what FW version

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

But not the other way around ;)
And that wasn't the question.

On top of that, why would you report my post #609 for "vulgar" when there's nothing wrong with it. Who do you think handles reports? Right, moderators (RedFox and a few others). I'll give you 3 guesses what i am..

Please stop trying to bate me into an arguement, stop twisting my words and please stop questioning everything i say.

This is a gentle warning, please just stop.

Question was if that drive supports UHD reading, and your advice is to look closer/better - namely for BD-XL, and that implies UHD support in which way exactly ?
I don't have to twist your words as they are already twisted ;)

And if don't stop you delete my posts again, i know.
But i don't give a rat's ass (which isn't vulgar according to you).

P.S.: the forum suddenly got very slow for me. Working normally when not logged in :rolleyes:

Back