AnyDVD UHD Drives and Firmware Questions

Discussion in 'High Definition Hardware' started by Chuck_IV, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV New Member

Hi Teddy, Check you PM's. I was able to dump my 1.03 Bios using the DOSFlash utility and I attached it to the PM.

Thank You.

2. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Has anyone tried this external drive
    LG BE16NU50(external, USB, recommended)

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

It should work as long as the firmware hasn't been updated to N1.02.

4. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Thanks

5. bipolarbear

bipolarbear Member

Hi guys, I was posting my updates on this issue in the other thread but this thread might be more appropriate...

I have a new LG BH16NS55 svc code NS55 manufactured Dec 2017. It came with 1.03 and the sticker on the drive says ROM VER: 1.03. I tried flashing it with 1.02 posted earlier in this thread (the version with the calibration data) but no joy - windows and anydvd detects it as 1.02 and says its working fine but cannot read anything. I used dosflash on a bootable usb stick as per the instructions. I even tried the original 1.01 which was posted on another forum but again no joy. So I have restored my 1.03 backup I made with dosflash, but even now it still does not detect UHD discs - it doesn't even attempt to do anything with them. It will however read bluray discs just fine. Is there anything I can do with this drive before I raise an RMA with Amazon? Because thankfully they'll let you return anything no questions asked. It is possible the drive may actually be faulty - I didn't test it much before I started messing with the firmware.

cheers.

6. Tourist

Tourist Well-Known Member

Have you tried the EEPROM Data mover from here to inject your drive signature and calibration data (from your dosflash backup) into a clean 1.02 firmware from here.

7. TeddyRaspin

TeddyRaspin Well-Known Member

@bipolarbear

Send me your 1.03 dump please and I will create a full working 1.02 firmware for your drive to be flashed via DOSFLASH (Pure DOS) modified version. ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  8. eng050599

eng050599 Member

Yes, I've been using this model of external drive for UHD rips. So far it has worked about 99% of the time, and there's only one disc that's giving issues currently.

I purchased mine from Newegg, but it looks like they're sold out. If you do get one, make sue it has FW 1.01 and not 1.02.

RedFox 1 likes this.
  9. TeddyRaspin

It is possible to downgrade from 1.02 to 1.01 ;)

10. eng050599

eng050599 Member

I'm actually not sure. From the procedure used for the internal drives, there's a problem in that the patcher doesn't work over USB. As the BE16NU50 is just a 3.5" drive in an enclosure, it should be possible to open it and connect it to a PC using the SATA interface, but I haven't seen the results of anyone trying.

11. TeddyRaspin

If I had that drive I will surely find a way for flashing it. :)

12. eng050599

eng050599 Member

I think you can still find them on BestBuy's website, but Amazon and Newegg are stating it's unavailable. I lucked out with mine as Newegg's Canadian site had them in stock, but now they too are listed as being unavailable.

13. TeddyRaspin

I'm living in Europe. I have to wait for re-stocking on Amazon.

14. eng050599

eng050599 Member

You might want to check eBay as well. I think there were sellers from the UK, and Germany who were selling the model.

15. TeddyRaspin

I inform you I've successfully transformed my BH16NS55 into WH16NS60 1.01 !!!! :D

16. Tourist

Tourist Well-Known Member

In the german forum section someone made a downgrade from 1.02 to 1.01 - unfortunately without having done a dosflash backup beforehand.
    So he ended up with a functional device - except it doesn't recognize 50GB blanks anymore.
    https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/be16nu50-firmware-frage.74416/page-4#post-482560

btw. i have many external drives, and none is easier to remove from the enclosure than the BE16NU50. Three screws + 2 screws for the USB-SATA adapter ...and no need to remove the tray bezel - i've crossflashed two of those.

17. DrinkLyeAndDie

I'm not sure how this is beneficial. You do mean the WH16NS60 and that's not a typo, correct? The 1.01 firmware breaks DeUHD from working with the drive. I would assume it would break the AnyDVD, MakeMKV, etc methods as well.

Any firmware pushed out to any friendly or certified UHD drives from LG in the month of December 2017 or later are suspect.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  18. TeddyRaspin

DeUHD 1.0.1.9 correctly decrypts UHD discs I have using WH16NS60 1.01 firmware (my unit is now detected as that).

AnyDVD HD 8.2.1.9 don't, but only because WH16NS60 1.01 fw makes drive an "UHD real" device, i.e. AACS 2.0 certificate drive.

MakeMKV reports error in retrieving VID as well as some SCSI command errors, but loads decrypting hashing key anyway and allow UHD discs to be decrypted.

Furthermore, it is very fast. I can reach 34 MB/s (8.0x) on MakeMKV and WH16NS60 1.01 firmware.

19. DrinkLyeAndDie

Interesting. Your results are different than those who reported that updating from 1.00 to 1.01 broke things with LG's lovely BS changelog about improving UHD compatibility.

20. Cancro

Cancro Member

I have successfully downgraded a BE16NU50 from Firmware version 1.02 to 1.01 and now it reads UHD Blu Rays without problems. I used Dosflash and patched the clean 1.01 firmware with my drives’ laser calibration data. It is mandatory to make a dump of your original firmware before erasing the EEPROM to get a new matching firmware. You just need to remove the drive from its housing and attach it to a SATA port. Do not use DosFlash for Windows as this might result in write errors.

thesim likes this.