• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD and dual-layer DVD-R

The good thing: HD-DVD players accept HD-DVD "structures" on standard "red laser" DVDs as well. I am not sore, but I believe Blu-ray standalone players do not. (If this is true, Blu-ray sucks big time!:D )
So yes, it makes perfectly sense to use DVD+-r DL discs for HD content. Compression will almost be impossible if you want to keep the quality (it already is compressed much more than normal DVDs), but leaving out soundtracks (especially the lossless ones) would make at least the main movie fit on DL discs.
For movies longer than 2 hours, you still can split.

Thanks James for the info. That's GREAT news to hear.

Why would compression be necessary on a HD DVD movie? It still doesn't have enough space with 15GB! Or are ALL movies compressed a little? Sorry for the dumb question.

On the sadder side, many of the great movies are over 2 hours, so I guess 2 discs will be what I'll be using if the movie can't be compressed to one. IMO, additional compression will only be worth using if the picture quality doesn't suffer much.

Again, GREAT news. Burning to 2 discs are better than burning to none. That is until the prices for HD DVD R media drops to more affordable prices.:agree:

Last edited:

Why would compression be necessary on a HD DVD movie? It still doesn't have enough space with 15GB! Or are ALL movies compressed a little? Sorry for the dumb question.

On the sadder side, many of the great movies are over 2 hours, so I guess 2 discs will be what I'll be using if the movie can't be compressed to one. IMO, additional compression will only be worth using if the picture quality doesn't suffer much.

Again, GREAT news. Burning to 2 discs are better than burning to none. That is until the prices for HD DVD R media drops to mor affordable prices.:agree:

That's not a dumb question. ;)

Sorry, I don't understand the question.:confused:

Compression will almost be impossible if you want to keep the quality (it already is compressed much more than normal DVDs)

I am wondering about this comment. I didn't know there were any compression in DVD or HD-DVD movies.

Yes, both DVD's and HD-DVD's are compressed. DVD's use MPEG-2. HD-DVD can use MPEG-2(at higher bitrates than standard DVD, obviously, but, that makes them HUGE), VC1(microsoft's codec), and MPEG-4 (H.264). Raw, uncompressed video is absolutely freaking huge. So, they compress them using one of the above mentioned codecs to make it fit on the available space. Hence, yes, all video you buy is compressed in one way or another.

HD DVD Wiki

How would you split an HD-DVD

To split a DVD now into two single layer dvds I use DVD Fab.

But how would you do that with an HD-DVD?

Would this also be built into AnyDVD-HD?

First post- thanks in advance for replies.

To split a DVD now into two single layer dvds I use DVD Fab.

But how would you do that with an HD-DVD?

Would this also be built into AnyDVD-HD?

First post- thanks in advance for replies.

Only the decrypter is in the works right now there is nothing in the works for burning HD-DVD's onto a disc. I don't think there is even a burner yet either nor blank HD-DVD's?

Sorry for the vagueness of my question.

Earlier in the thread someone talked about ripping an HD-DVD movie and then splitting that into two DVD-Dl discs.

I was wondering exactly how one would split a ripped HD-DVD into two DVD-DL that a player would be able to read.

When doing this with a DVD now that requires a great deal of compression to fit on one single layer DVD, I use DVD Fab (old version).

Thanks again.

Sorry for the vagueness of my question.

Earlier in the thread someone talked about ripping an HD-DVD movie and then splitting that into two DVD-Dl discs.

I was wondering exactly how one would split a ripped HD-DVD into two DVD-DL that a player would be able to read.

When doing this with a DVD now that requires a great deal of compression to fit on one single layer DVD, I use DVD Fab (old version).

Thanks again.

Even if you did so I still believe you need an HD-DVD player to play it unless you change the video/audio codecs. I may be wrong but there is a small doubt I'm correct here.

Now that "AnyDVD HD" is on its way, what are we gonna burn our HD DVD movies to?

HD DVD-R blank media is expensive, at approximately $20+ a pop right now. Will a Dual-Layer DVD-R suffice with compression as DVD-Rs sufficed for Dual-layer movies.

From what I hear, HD movies are about 10GB and DL-DVD-Rs can hold <8.5GB and only cost about a $1, so will this be the best, most economical method?

And what will we use for compression? Will CLONE DVD be sufficient?

Aloha

From what I've seen of ripped HD-DVDs, the content is more like 25 - 30 Gigs. My question would be what is the impact on quality if that content gets compressed to 8.5 gigs.

Compressing really wouldn't make a lot of sense. After all, that is why we want to watch HD-DVD to get max quality.

This goes back to my question about whether it would be possible to split ripped HD_DVD movies into 2-3 dual layer DVDs.

Yes, both DVD's and HD-DVD's are compressed. DVD's use MPEG-2. HD-DVD can use MPEG-2(at higher bitrates than standard DVD, obviously, but, that makes them HUGE), VC1(microsoft's codec), and MPEG-4 (H.264). Raw, uncompressed video is absolutely freaking huge. So, they compress them using one of the above mentioned codecs to make it fit on the available space. Hence, yes, all video you buy is compressed in one way or another.

HD DVD Wiki

Thanks for the info.:)

From what I've seen of ripped HD-DVDs, the content is more like 25 - 30 Gigs. My question would be what is the impact on quality if that content gets compressed to 8.5 gigs.

I was actually just talking about copying the main movie only. Am I wrong to believe it is only about 10GBs?

Correct on that. I feel like a little boy waiting for Christmas with all this new technology. Waiting on uncle sam and then getting a 1080p T.V. Still using the standard itty bitty 27" at the moment. I have watched some dvd's on the T.V. 1080p and was amazed in the quality too.

HD-DVD size

It's usually way more than that.

Most of the HD-DVD's I have are about 25-27 gig with all tracks (feature, soundtracks, special features, etc.) at present AnyDVD/HD will allow watching them on a non HDCP system in full 1080i (yes most monitors can handle that) If you can handle 1080P your monitor is most likley HDCP already but if not it will show at that resolution. The latest release has added a "Rip to HDD" feature but Slysoft forgot to add the "Start Button" which I assume will be added to yet another release today. After that I believe the "Beta" period will be just about up as with this ommission the program appears complete and bug-less.

I assume Slysoft or someone else will then release a Clone type program which will use even further compression to allow the burning of HD discs to a single layer 15 gig HD-DVD-R disc. My beliefe is that compressing even further would defeat the purpose of HD-DVD.

Now if burners and media would only drop in prices...

Most of the HD-DVD's I have are about 25-27 gig with all tracks (feature, soundtracks, special features, etc.) at present AnyDVD/HD will allow watching them on a non HDCP system in full 1080i (yes most monitors can handle that) If you can handle 1080P your monitor is most likley HDCP already but if not it will show at that resolution. The latest release has added a "Rip to HDD" feature but Slysoft forgot to add the "Start Button" which I assume will be added to yet another release today. After that I believe the "Beta" period will be just about up as with this ommission the program appears complete and bug-less.

I assume Slysoft or someone else will then release a Clone type program which will use even further compression to allow the burning of HD discs to a single layer 15 gig HD-DVD-R disc. My beliefe is that compressing even further would defeat the purpose of HD-DVD.

Now if burners and media would only drop in prices...
The start button is called "copy dvd". The ripper is accessible from the tray menu "Rip Video HD DVD to harddisk..."

Not on my screen, see attachment
Whoa... That's weird! Can you see the buttons with the "normal" AnyDVD ripper?

EDIT:
Can you try to resize the window?

Last edited:
Back