• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD (HD) 6.7.9.0 Update

Once I turned off Kaspersky, the install worked. I'm not quite sure what in the install pissed off the virus checker to that extent...

I tried what you did (different anti-virus) and yep installed straight away:clap:

Thanks efnar:agree:

Last edited:
Another dissapointed long time user

While I understand the need for this, never the less I am deeply saddened that at this present time I am no longer able to update a product I paid good money to allow for such updates.
I, too, am chiming in on this subject. I've been running Win98 ever since I got AnyDVD and CloneDVD. Being legally blind, I was and still am reluctant to make any changes as large and complex as an entire operating system. It too me many months if not years to learn all the details of Win98 due to my failing eyesight. The thought of trying to learn where everything is at on WinXP gives me the shivers. Not to mention being on a fixed income and not having sufficient funding to make any costly updates or modifications. I am shocked that suddenly Slysoft would choose to stop Win98 support. How hard is it to leave certain bits of code in AnyDVD so '98 will recognize it and run the setup? I bought the lifetime license and have been more than well pleased with these products. I even reccommended them to my friends. All I have hope is that there are still enough '98 users to sway Slysoft to reconsider and place support back into the next version of AnyDVD.

Windows 98

Whilst I can sympathise with your reasoning for being disappointed, I have run many versions of windows over the years including manufactures complete new releases of a given system, I have got to say Windows 98 was one of the worst operating systems I ran, windows 2000 being a close second. Having said that, I always run in classic mode (as I can never find anything where I would have thought it would be) and in general terms there is not that much difference between releases unless you are trying to do something that is not normally done every day.

You have to move with the times whether you want to or not, I currently run Vista in classic mode and have been exceptionally happy with it, I am sure there are those out there whom would not agree with that statement, but sooner or later you are going to find that windows 98 will not support something you are using and almost certainly is unlikely to support modern multi core processors.

It’s a pain for most of us to change and I can appreciate its harder for yourself, last I heard was that Microsoft had dropped support for Win 98 (correct me if I am wrong here).

No point in criticising Slysoft, I have many programs I have purchased that no longer work with my current operating system. That’s computing for you.

How hard is it to leave certain bits of code in AnyDVD so '98 will recognize it and run the setup?

The problem is not leaving bits of code in AnyDVD.
Instead there are numerous problems:

1. it is becoming increasingly difficult to add new bits of code to AnyDVD, when we constantly have to consider whether these will work under Win98 (and test that each and every time on an old Win98 PC with mould all over it).
  2. Win98 resources are often limited, where WinNT derivates are not - we have to be careful not to push those limits and work ourselves around them.
  3. we are forced to use an outdated and buggy development environment, the last one supporting Win98 being 6 (!) years old.
  4. because of having to use that old dev environment, development takes up easily 20% more time, because newer development tools have a bunch of neat features that help speed up things a lot.
  5. we are forced to develop two individual drivers, because the Win98 OS has a completely different driver architecture. Parts of code can be shared, but certain things are simply not possible with Win98.
  6. Win9x has no real unicode support. Creating or opening files with non-ascii names is not possible. So we can't make AnyDVD unicode aware without a very big effort.
and so on - I do have more, but then it gets very technical...

All that trouble for an incredibly small percentage of people (much less than 1%).

Response

The problem is not leaving bits of code in AnyDVD.
Instead there are numerous problems:

1. it is becoming increasingly difficult to add new bits of code to AnyDVD, when we constantly have to consider whether these will work under Win98 (and test that each and every time on an old Win98 PC with mould all over it).
  2. Win98 resources are often limited, where WinNT derivates are not - we have to be careful not to push those limits and work ourselves around them.
  3. we are forced to use an outdated and buggy development environment, the last one supporting Win98 being 6 (!) years old.
  4. because of having to use that old dev environment, development takes up easily 20% more time, because newer development tools have a bunch of neat features that help speed up things a lot.
  5. we are forced to develop two individual drivers, because the Win98 OS has a completely different driver architecture. Parts of code can be shared, but certain things are simply not possible with Win98.
  6. Win9x has no real unicode support. Creating or opening files with non-ascii names is not possible. So we can't make AnyDVD unicode aware without a very big effort.
and so on - I do have more, but then it gets very technical...

All that trouble for an incredibly small percentage of people (much less than 1%).
I guess that's pretty much it then. I did feel the need to express my thoughts. I didn't mean to cause any problems. Thank you for your replies.

Updates

JUst Curious why my last update was 6.7.0 everytime I try to download
newer version it tries to download but never completes. Anydvd works fine
but can't get updates I have windows vista

JUst Curious why my last update was 6.7.0 everytime I try to download
newer version it tries to download but never completes. Anydvd works fine
but can't get updates I have windows vista
Try deleting the files in your Temporary Internet Files folder.
If you're using IE7 or IE8, do this when the browser is in open:
Click Tools>Internet Options. Under Browsing history, click Delete. Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete.
In the Delete Files windows that opens, click Yes. When it's done, click Close, click OK.

Then try downloading the latest version of AnyDVD again.

Last edited:
Well you certainly should. Even Microsoft dropped 98SE support a long time ago. Most 98SE PCs can run 2000/XP, but I would strongly recommend to go with Windows 7. ;)

And: Slysoft supported 98/ME a pretty long time

Windows 7 has terrible driver support for older hardware. First, I would boot with the Windows 7 DVD and run the compatibility program. It will tell you what you are going to have problems with if you upgrade. You can also download it from here (Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

az_raiden

Peer, everything you said is what I suspected was the reason(s) for dropping the 98/Me support. I was just a bit surprised (and disappointed) when I first saw the change log.

Now that reality has set in I knew I had to upgrade my PC and so bought a new refurbished XP box. The dropped support was the push I needed to get a much better PC. Thanks for dragging me into the 21st Century of computing. :p

Peer, everything you said is what I suspected was the reason(s) for dropping the 98/Me support. I was just a bit surprised (and disappointed) when I first saw the change log.

Now that reality has set in I knew I had to upgrade my PC and so bought a new refurbished XP box. The dropped support was the push I needed to get a much better PC. Thanks for dragging me into the 21st Century of computing. :p

LOL---not quite up to the 21st Century yet. XP is going the way of th DODO too. :p

LOL---not quite up to the 21st Century yet. XP is going the way of th DODO too. :p

Not anytime soon. Millions of people (and companies) still have machines running XP and won't be changing soon. Hardware and drivers will still be available for XP for quite a while. Vista (to me anyway) was another ME, put out without proper testing meant only to make money. Windows 7 is good though and what Vista should have been.

I always think it's funny that people gripe about Microsoft (and use the M$ moniker), but jump out the first day to buy a new OS just because it's new when there wasn't anything wrong with the OS they have. I am using Windows 7 but I still like and have XP on some machines (and a few licenses available) and will continue to use it for as long as possible. Come to think of it, I still have Windows 98SE on a machine, mainly because some software I like works better on older hardware that XP and Windows 7 won't recognize.

Last edited:
I jumped from 95 to 98SE (far beter than 98 was) and then to XP.
I'm still happy with all my XP boxes........

-W

I jumped from 95 to 98SE (far beter than 98 was) and then to XP.
I'm still happy with all my XP boxes........

-W

I've still got Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95 in addition to 98SE, XP Pro, XP Home, Windows 7 Pro. Don't know why, just held on to them.

Anydvd 6.7.9.0 update

I applied the update (Win XP SP3) and Windoze would no longer boot.

It would start booting but then kept cycling to a reboot.

I managed to boot into safe mode and had to roll back to an earlier restore point.

Now I'm reluctant to apply the update again in case the same happens.

I applied the update (Win XP SP3) and Windoze would no longer boot.
I'm quite confident your problem is unrelated to the update. The update shouldn't even require a reboot.

I'm quite confident your problem is unrelated to the update. The update shouldn't even require a reboot.

No, I didn't mean to imply the update needed a reboot.

I applied the update.
Then, when I next came to switch on the computer i.e. the next day, it would not boot. When I rolled back to the restore point before the update, it booted up fine.

Hope that clarifies things.

Back