• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD for Linux ?

On Blu-ray playback on Linux, there are a few ways. Personally I want my Blu-Rays on a NAS, so I use AnyDVD to turn them into unencrypted ISOs and these play with VLC,Kodi etc. Or another easy way I guess, is to use makemkv on Linux (which is still is in beta for Linux so they give out the key for Blu-Ray for free, though I paid them for their good work) and play the mkv file (also nicely works with the iso's from AnyDVD).

The libraries for Blu-Ray playback of encrypted disks, libbdplus and libaacs are generally in freely available non-free repo's e.g. Fedora's RPM Fusion, so are pretty trivial to add to VLC. The tricky thing is finding keys for all your disks. There is a database of these out there, and hope your disks are there. The best guide I've found that is useful on any Linux distro is ArchLinux one (their Wiki is great for so many Linux things):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray

The pain of Blu-Ray playback is another reason to want AnyDVD on Linux.

As to AnyDVD on Linux, I'd love this, it's pretty much the only reason I still have any Windows boot. The differences between distro's shouldn't be a massive impediment, there are plenty of Linux programs out there that exist for all the major distros without too many issues (Chrome being an example), yes it's more hassle than zero but not insurmountable.

The biggest win for AnyDVD on Linux would surely be the escape from Windows 10 spying and control. The privacy statement has a section "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services" is disturbing. How long before they block AnyDVD or report what they see as "illegal" content (made from legitimately purchased DVDs/BluRays)? Or get paid to do so or get forced to when media companies see they have this ability? For the long term future of AnyDVD, I'd have thought a Linux version is at least a good insurance policy for RedFox.

As to AnyDVD on Linux, I'd love this, it's pretty much the only reason I still have any Windows boot. The differences between distro's shouldn't be a massive impediment, there are plenty of Linux programs out there that exist for all the major distros without too many issues (Chrome being an example), yes it's more hassle than zero but not insurmountable.

You're talking about simple user mode applications here.
AnyDVD is an OS extension ("on-the-fly decryptor"). That may require special builds for each linux version/variant/distro.....

AnyDVD is an OS extension ("on-the-fly decryptor"). That may require special builds for each linux version/variant/distro.....
Perhaps required but unlike Windows, Linux device interfaces aren't usually as restrictive (i.e. generally they won't stop you getting to the lowest level of device access) e.g. why you have things like "AIR Crack" starting on Linux but are still a hassle on Windows.

I can't think of what low level access to a BluRay device that /dev/sr0 doesn't already grant. Things like "ddrescue" use lots of obscure low level access to DVD's to try and read as many blocks as possible (backing up to bad blocks and other horrors), all without kernel mods.

And I'd guess even if some device didn't have have the low level access required, it would likely be added to the kernel upstream if someone could identify an application need.

The pain of Blu-Ray playback is another reason to want AnyDVD on Linux.
Really I have Windows and WinDVD 11 Pro and BDR playback without problems so not sure what links your trying to link Anydvd to Linux.

The biggest win for AnyDVD on Linux would surely be the escape from Windows 10 spying and control. The privacy statement has a section "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services" is disturbing. How long before they block AnyDVD or report what they see as "illegal" content (made from legitimately purchased DVDs/BluRays)? Or get paid to do so or get forced to when media companies see they have this ability? For the long term future of AnyDVD, I'd have thought a Linux version is at least a good insurance policy for RedFox.
Really you think we O/S users are only Windows 10? A little more looking outside the box would show there are various Windows O/S users not just Windows 10. Your going off in a tangent that really has no reality in what Anydvd does anyway.

Really I have Windows and WinDVD 11 Pro and BDR playback without problems so not sure what links your trying to link Anydvd to Linux.

I was only telling people (as discussed earlier in this thread) how to play Blu-Ray content on Linux. Today's Windows AnyDVD is a valid method to extract the content to allow it's playback on Linux if you have a decent amount of disk space. Once extracted you no longer need Windows to play the content.

Really you think we O/S users are only Windows 10? A little more looking outside the box would show there are various Windows O/S users not just Windows 10. Your going off in a tangent that really has no reality in what Anydvd does anyway.

Of course that's not what I'm saying. I said, "For the long term future of AnyDVD". Lets face some facts here:

Microsoft has announced that future chipsets will only be supported in Windows 10. So when "Kaby Lake" launches, it's likely all next years new computers will only work with Windows 10 (okay maybe hackable but it's not a long term option). When they push this button, manufacturers will be be reluctant to produce device drivers for new hardware for Windows 7,8 etc device drivers, maybe not next year but the path is clear. Now I know they tried this with Skylake and backed out, but they will do this sooner or later, the plan is currently with "Kaby Lake".

Next Windows 7,8 etc are now (next week!) getting single monthly cumulative updates, so you can no longer opt out of the Windows 10 style telemetry with these versions, unless you disable all updates (and that's not exactly healthy). Hey and maybe eventually a new Windows 10 updater that you can't stop being installed this time!

So yes you will be running Windows 10, sooner or later. Best case you will be running the MS spyware that concerns lots of people, on non-Windows 10. Great!

Personally I'd be pretty concerned with Microsoft having access to potentially seeing me ripping DVD's etc and that I have the software to do it installed (AnyDVD).

This seems a very valid reason to want AnyDVD on Linux (I wasn't saying don't still have it on Windows), and seems completely on topic to me!

I was only telling people (as discussed earlier in this thread) how to play Blu-Ray content on Linux. Today's Windows AnyDVD is a valid method to extract the content to allow it's playback on Linux if you have a decent amount of disk space. Once extracted you no longer need Windows to play the content.
There is no viable Linux playback software currently to play bluray as that requires codec that so far I have yet they will give out for free.

Of course that's not what I'm saying. I said, "For the long term future of AnyDVD". Lets face some facts here:
Looks some facts are sprinkled with some personal non facts here...

Microsoft has announced that future chipsets will only be supported in Windows 10. So when "Kaby Lake" launches, it's likely all next years new computers will only work with Windows 10 (okay maybe hackable but it's not a long term option). When they push this button, manufacturers will be be reluctant to produce device drivers for new hardware for Windows 7,8 etc device drivers, maybe not next year but the path is clear. Now I know they tried this with Skylake and backed out, but they will do this sooner or later, the plan is currently with "Kaby Lake".
Did you know by that time happens they will have a better Windows 16 out...they like to scare people but by the time that comes around we be installing Windows 16 not Windows 10.

Next Windows 7,8 etc are now (next week!) getting single monthly cumulative updates, so you can no longer opt out of the Windows 10 style telemetry with these versions, unless you disable all updates (and that's not exactly healthy). Hey and maybe eventually a new Windows 10 updater that you can't stop being installed this time!
You must be living in the past plenty of people have found and are using regedits to kill Windows 10 telemetry and forced Windows 10 updates so not sure where your facts are but it surely isn't up to date.

So yes you will be running Windows 10, sooner or later. Best case you will be running the MS spyware that concerns lots of people, on non-Windows 10. Great!
Really...those are some fantastic Facts...every two years or so a New Windows will come out and Windows 10 will be tossed aside in favor of Windows 16. And people are already creating programs to kill telemetry if you care to look around.

Personally I'd be pretty concerned with Microsoft having access to potentially seeing me ripping DVD's etc and that I have the software to do it installed (AnyDVD).
Then go offline but sadly you have already given more about your self in your internet usage and smart phone usage already.

This seems a very valid reason to want AnyDVD on Linux (I wasn't saying don't still have it on Windows), and seems completely on topic to me!
Valid in a utopia but real world will not work.

There is no viable Linux playback software currently to play bluray as that requires codec that so far I have yet they will give out for free.

What? No "codec" what are you talking about? BluRay's are pretty much all H264, no issue on Linux. Decryption of commercial bluray's, that is more of an issue, but can be done. Unencrypted ISO's of bluray's (say from AnyDVD) no issue. I must be imagining playing Blu-Ray's on Linux with vlc, Kodi and mplayer.

Looks some facts are sprinkled with some personal non facts here...

Did you know by that time happens they will have a better Windows 16 out...they like to scare people but by the time that comes around we be installing Windows 16 not Windows 10.

That is pure speculation. Microsoft have said that Windows 10 will be continuous release and the last version of Windows. This may not be true, but there is zero reason to assume that a later version of Windows will be less spyware ridden, it will probably be worse (the latest Windows 10 anniversary release is worse for privacy than the original release for example).

You must be living in the past plenty of people have found and are using regedits to kill Windows 10 telemetry and forced Windows 10 updates so not sure where your facts are but it surely isn't up to date.

Really...those are some fantastic Facts...every two years or so a New Windows will come out and Windows 10 will be tossed aside in favor of Windows 16. And people are already creating programs to kill telemetry if you care to look around.

Then go offline but sadly you have already given more about your self in your internet usage and smart phone usage already.

Valid in a utopia but real world will not work.

It must be such fun for you to fight your OS daily to maintain your personal privacy. This is a constantly changing attack surface after all. Don't you see how poor a proposition this is?

And just cause I've given away *some* freedom (non willingly) to government snooping of my Internet/smart phone usage, does not mean I shouldn't care about a commercial entity being able to completely snoop on my use of all the software and files on my PC. And perhaps pass on my use of AnyDVD and the files ripped by it to other media companies, if there is a buck in it for them. A utterly preposterous suggestion. I'm amazed an AnyDVD user, who are people who seem to like the freedom to use their media how they want to wouldn't care deeply about this.

What do you suggest, all users who AnyDVD users should have to do this to go out looking how to disable snooping after every new MS patch comes out, very impractical a suggestion? That's ridiculous.

This is the reason I'd like AnyDVD on Linux and why RedFox should also care about keeping their options open, when Windows looks to be becoming more locked down as time goes on.

What? No "codec" what are you talking about? BluRay's are pretty much all H264, no issue on Linux. Decryption of commercial bluray's, that is more of an issue, but can be done. Unencrypted ISO's of bluray's (say from AnyDVD) no issue. I must be imagining playing Blu-Ray's on Linux with vlc, Kodi and mplayer.
Really then where are the BluRay player software? I don't see any or hear of any for Linux? No support there means exactly that nothing that is what determines a software acceptance but Linux dropped the ball on that and keep fighting among their Distro will never go anyway near competing against MS or iOS.

That is pure speculation. Microsoft have said that Windows 10 will be continuous release and the last version of Windows. This may not be true, but there is zero reason to assume that a later version of Windows will be less spyware ridden, it will probably be worse (the latest Windows 10 anniversary release is worse for privacy than the original release for example).
And how did you determine that? Where is the research on this? You don't have access to the Microsoft Core O/S programs coding so anything you say is meaningless.

It must be such fun for you to fight your OS daily to maintain your personal privacy. This is a constantly changing attack surface after all. Don't you see how poor a proposition this is?
Actually I don't have to just take a good look around and see what is being used most regardless of what people think end of the day Windows is there whether or not you want to admit it or not and it isn't going away.

And just cause I've given away *some* freedom (non willingly) to government snooping of my Internet/smart phone usage, does not mean I shouldn't care about a commercial entity being able to completely snoop on my use of all the software and files on my PC. And perhaps pass on my use of AnyDVD and the files ripped by it to other media companies, if there is a buck in it for them. A utterly preposterous suggestion. I'm amazed an AnyDVD user, who are people who seem to like the freedom to use their media how they want to wouldn't care deeply about this.
You already given away since you were born in the 21 century and to think MS is the only company is pure utopia mindset that goes nowhere fast.

What do you suggest, all users who AnyDVD users should have to do this to go out looking how to disable snooping after every new MS patch comes out, very impractical a suggestion? That's ridiculous.
Looks like someone that doesn't care to read what's actually been happening but that isn't my problem for those in denial. The rest of us have moved on.

This is the reason I'd like AnyDVD on Linux and why RedFox should also care about keeping their options open, when Windows looks to be becoming more locked down as time goes on.
More denial in the works again. Linux themselves are to blame for where they are themselves MS didn't do this to them but linux are their own worst enemies. They missed the ball in the early stages of the O/S battle and seemly trying to be revisionist of the Facts of the history of the O/S story.

Really then where are the BluRay player software? I don't see any or hear of any for Linux?

I just gave you the software names that allow this! Now are they more hassle (potentially, it depends on the use case) and not as good with BluRay menus as say PowerDVD (none are). Do most people care about BluRay menus or just playing the main movie on a Blu-Ray (or extracting it)? It depends on the user. Personally I don't care about the menus others might. Even on windows sytems I prefer using vlc over PowerDVD, WinDVD etc, it's lighter for most use cases I have.

But even in the general case, of propriatary vs free software, we use Free Software sometimes as Richard Stallman said "Freedom is worth the inconvenience". I don't always follow this completely, I will run flash player, for example, when required. The one place I draw the line would be base OS telemetry, that's a straight fail for me.

And how did you determine that? Where is the research on this? You don't have access to the Microsoft Core O/S programs coding so anything you say is meaningless.

All I can go on with closed source software are the vendors public statements. I have to base my decisions on the available information. The public information is that this is the last version of windows and they have moved into an agile style continuous update model. Saying anything else, as you seem to be, is just speculation:

"Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 'the last version of Windows'"
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

And the less freedom I have to disable snooping things in the Windows anniversary update on Windows 10 Pro, they are gradually turning the screw:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...te_tweaked_to_stop_users_disabling_cloud_ads/

I don't think Windows is going anywhere fast, I'm not naive. In fact, I use Windows daily and I manage a very large Windows estate.

What I'm trying to suggest to you, is fairly simple. AnyDVD, sadly is considered legal dubious, given they have been forced to new country, for example. Now given that MS can potentially watch all the files I have on my machine and all software I run, I there is a legitimate concern as to whether Windows is a safe platform to run this software on, going forward. Who knows what MS will pass onto media companies from this telemetry. If not now, the direction of travel is at least worrying (can we agree that even)?

Linux would be a safe platform to run this on, there is no spyware in it and I can examine the source code. It's that simple!

As I said to you before, just cause I've been forced to compromise some freedoms doesn't mean I should completely cave in to everything. This is a simple area where I don't think my computer should be fully open to it's OS vendor snooping on my files and use, this is pretty easily fixed for me by not using Windows. Especially in the context of media files from my DVDs/Blu-Rays.

As I said earlier, I'm not asking to take away your Windows version. Therefore, I don't know why you are so desperate to attack the possibilities of a Linux version of AnyDVD?
And defend Windows so desperately (and MS recent bad behavior, which is widely thought to be pretty gruesome, by most technical Windows users).

All I can assume is that you are *actually* worried about the direction/future of Windows, and that some people may actually stop using your favourite platform.

Can someone from RedFox comment if they are concerned or have thought about the implications of Windows telemetry and the use of AnyDVD?

You like having to figure out which playlist is which?

Maybe some blu-rays do strange things, but I've always found that the track that has the longest duration is the movie. And with a box set disc, the first decent length track is episode 1 and the next episodes follow sequentially from this. Besides there are usually only about 10 tracks (often less) on a disc.

It's always been pretty trivial. Maybe I'm missing your point.

You like having to figure out which playlist is which?

If you use AnyDVDHD 8.0.4.3. it fixes/helps with that now for those players.

8.0.4.3 2016 09 27
- New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
- New (Blu-ray): Added feature, which helps non-licensed Blu-ray players
(Kodi, VLC, Media Players, ...) to pick the correct playlist for the main feature

- New (DVD): Support for new discs

But that's only on a Windows machine unless you are VMing it.

Maybe some blu-rays do strange things, but I've always found that the track that has the longest duration is the movie. And with a box set disc, the first decent length track is episode 1 and the next episodes follow sequentially from this. Besides there are usually only about 10 tracks (often less) on a disc.

It's always been pretty trivial. Maybe I'm missing your point.
I seem to get a lot of disks with playlist obfuscation (dozens of extra playlists of the same length that don't play the movie correctly all the way through). Maybe I need to develop a taste for low budget B movies or something, if I want to switch to Linux for watching Blu-ramovies. (Actually, at present, I don't particularly mind what I use to watch them).

If you use AnyDVDHD 8.0.4.3. it fixes/helps with that now for those players.

8.0.4.3 2016 09 27
- New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
- New (Blu-ray): Added feature, which helps non-licensed Blu-ray players
(Kodi, VLC, Media Players, ...) to pick the correct playlist for the main feature

- New (DVD): Support for new discs

But that's only on a Windows machine unless you are VMing it.

Yup I do use AnyDVD, it's a great product, it's the only decent way to transfer my Blu-Ray's as ISO's to a file server.

It would be nice if open source programs get Blu-Ray menu support, it would provide the whole experience (like DVD's do on VLC, Kodi) so I just don't want any reason to have to revisit ripping discs if that day comes. Kodi isn't so so far away, some menus work some don't, though it's pretty buggy.

I've never thought of trying AnyDVD in a VM, I wasn't sure if it needed to get so close to the hardware that VM'ing would stop this working (well). Anyone have any experience of trying this ?

I use Linux on a daily basis and Blue Rays can definitely be played on Linux, at least unencrypted discs/ isos. It might not be as "shiny" as with PowerDVD but the main purpose, playing the movie, is definitely fulfilled. And I bet Linux users are not frightened by this because if you don't like circumventing a few issues here and there you don't go Linux. The necessary programs have already been mentioned so I refrain from mentioning them again.

For me the absence of AnyDVD from Linux is not an issue since my main OS is still Windows 10 but I'd definitely welcome a Linux version of AnyDVD, especially since this would further insure the existence of AnyDVD because the software would not be dependent on one OS anymore.

I use Linux on a daily basis and Blue Rays can definitely be played on Linux, at least unencrypted discs/ isos. It might not be as "shiny" as with PowerDVD but the main purpose, playing the movie, is definitely fulfilled. And I bet Linux users are not frightened by this because if you don't like circumventing a few issues here and there you don't go Linux. The necessary programs have already been mentioned so I refrain from mentioning them again.
Unfortunately this is misleading, if there was a BD player software why not list them? But I doubt there is one and comparing to PDDVD is apples to oranges comparison. Linux has failed to gain any real market shares to get "software" support this is what will make it a alternative to the Windows O/S of which it has yet to do to get users to go there.

For me the absence of AnyDVD from Linux is not an issue since my main OS is still Windows 10 but I'd definitely welcome a Linux version of AnyDVD, especially since this would further insure the existence of AnyDVD because the software would not be dependent on one OS anymore.
Not going to happen.

Not going to happen.
You don't know that only James, Pete, Peer, and the rest of RedFox team are the only ones that know whether this can/will happen. As said by James he was looking into this.
I myself don't use Linux except on my Android's. But I hope they can do it.

If I may chime in...

1. An "OS extension" in Linux terms means "kernel driver", and all distro's have exactly the same kernel. So that is not distro-dependent.

2. There is a de-facto standard of playing bluray on Linux which involves libbluray and libaacs. Libaacs is particularly interesting because all it needs is the title key, once it has it it will decode the content for you, nothing else is needed (case in point).

So... If I was building AnyDVD for Linux, I'd port the current title key extraction process to Linux (I presume all you need is the ability to read raw sectors which on Linux is very easy), and integrate it to pass the key to libaacs. That would work on practically any distro, even in binary form.

And finally, I hope AnyDVD authors realize how much business potential this has. There are millions of Linux-based media players, there are whole software ecosystems such as Kodibuntu, Mythbuntu, OpenELEC, LinuxMCE and industry standard hardware (NUC, Mini-STX, Mini-ITX...). I have one, and would be glad to purchase a copy of AnyDVD instead of investing into a separate bluray player. There are literally no commercial alternatives right now. It's just sad.

Got confronted with Blu-rays on Linux just recently.
The best method in my opinion is Kodi with the MakeMKV plugin.
I hope it's ok to post this in a Redfox sub-forum.

Back