• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD does not unlock copy protected DVDs when using Ripstation MF Digital 7601XDP

fujitsuman

Newest version of AnyDVD HD is installed, autostart, recognizes external BluRay drive.
Tried default settings, then tried variety of custom settings. Have reinstalled AnyDVD and re-tried, I run as administrator, the driver loads for the hardware, etc.

Current config: Sony VAIO Z series, Windows 7 Professional SP1, 64 Bit

Attached Ripstation: MF Digital 7601XDP: http://www.ripstation.com/7601xdp.html

Ripstation hardware functions properly with non-copyright protected DVDs. Utilizes bundled software required for robot to function:

http://www.ripstation.com/mediagrabber.html

Seems to be very similar problem as this user:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49012

When device robot loads any copyright protected DVD into the drive, the MediaGrabber software immediately returns the error: "Failed to recognize the disc in Windows". No info bubble pops up saying that AnyDVD has decoded the DVD, nor does the drive in the AnyDVD status window show that a disc is actually loaded (even though it is).

When AnyDVD is NOT running, MediaGrabber returns the same error, but after approx. 20 seconds of trying to read the disc.

Because AnyDVD does not ever register the disc, there is no relevant log file information to share.

When using AnyDVD and my laptop’s internal DVD reader (NOT the rip station), the software works perfectly and the DVD is copied to the hard drive as it should.

Obviously, with 10,000s of DVDs to rip, I need to get the RipStation working. Have tried looking for specific processes to kill, windows services to disable, etc.

Without knowing more, this seems to be a case where AnyDVD is unable to unlock any DVD as a result of the MediaGrabber software (which is required to run the automated robot).

Any advice or additional troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When the Ripstation is plugged in and you have a disc in the drive can you see the external drive and disc in windows explorer?

Newest version of AnyDVD HD is installed, autostart, recognizes external BluRay drive.
Tried default settings, then tried variety of custom settings. Have reinstalled AnyDVD and re-tried, I run as administrator, the driver loads for the hardware, etc.

Current config: Sony VAIO Z series, Windows 7 Professional SP1, 64 Bit

Attached Ripstation: MF Digital 7601XDP: http://www.ripstation.com/7601xdp.html

Ripstation hardware functions properly with non-copyright protected DVDs. Utilizes bundled software required for robot to function:

http://www.ripstation.com/mediagrabber.html

Seems to be very similar problem as this user:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49012.

When device robot loads any copyright protected DVD into the drive, the MediaGrabber software immediately returns the error: "Failed to recognize the disc in Windows". No info bubble pops up saying that AnyDVD has decoded the DVD, nor does the drive in the AnyDVD status window show that a disc is actually loaded (even though it is).

There is part of your problem is coming from MediaGrabber, did you update that software or check with the software developer for any problem with mediaGrabber??? You seem to be quick to always say Anydvd the problem without much to go on since Anydvd sees a DVD/BD when it can read and scan it but in this case the software MediaGrabber seems to be the problem causing the no scan or read so you should look at MediaGrabber and the connection to your Ripstation again to see what is going on.

When AnyDVD is NOT running, MediaGrabber returns the same error, but after approx. 20 seconds of trying to read the disc.

Here is your own test showing something is not working right with mediaGrabber and the hardware itself. Did you check to see if MediaGrabber was even seeing the RipStation itself before trying to rip the dvds??

Because AnyDVD does not ever register the disc, there is no relevant log file information to share.

Not quite you can always provide a empty log file so don't say it can't when I have seen others on here provide a empty log file.

When using AnyDVD and my laptop’s internal DVD reader (NOT the rip station), the software works perfectly and the DVD is copied to the hard drive as it should..

Right here you just proved Anydvd isn't the cause of the problem. And sounds more like hardware or connection problem between your Ripstation and laptop and MediaGrabber.

Obviously, with 10,000s of DVDs to rip, I need to get the RipStation working. Have tried looking for specific processes to kill, windows services to disable, etc.

That doesn't give any good infomation to go off or know what is going on.

Without knowing more, this seems to be a case where AnyDVD is unable to unlock any DVD as a result of the MediaGrabber software (which is required to run the automated robot).

Without us knowing more to find a problem or solution it is even harder to get at. Also you already stated that Anydvd and your Laptop works fine so why are you trying to blame the software again for something that isn't a Anydvd problem??

Did you even try to contact the manufacture of this problem???

There is part of your problem is coming from MediaGrabber, did you update that software or check with the software developer for any problem with mediaGrabber??? You seem to be quick to always say Anydvd the problem without much to go on since Anydvd sees a DVD/BD when it can read and scan it but in this case the software MediaGrabber seems to be the problem causing the no scan or read so you should look at MediaGrabber and the connection to your Ripstation again to see what is going on.

-->Yes - most recent version of MediaGrabber is installed, the software developer was the one that recommended AnyDVD. I agree that part of the problem, as you state, is coming from MediaGrabber, but as you'll read in my responses below, part of the problem appears to be coming from AnyDVD as well, since the only thing not functioning is AnyDVD's ability to allow access to a copy protected DVD through the ripstation's PIONEER BD-RW BDR-205 drive.

Here is your own test showing something is not working right with mediaGrabber and the hardware itself. Did you check to see if MediaGrabber was even seeing the RipStation itself before trying to rip the dvds??

-->Of course -MediaGrabber and the ripstation work correctly with non-CSS protected DVDs. The software and hardware function properly.

Not quite you can always provide a empty log file so don't say it can't when I have seen others on here provide a empty log file.

-->You'll note that I said nothing was relevant, not that it was empty.

Right here you just proved Anydvd isn't the cause of the problem. And sounds more like hardware or connection problem between your Ripstation and laptop and MediaGrabber.

-->Incorrect. I've proven that AnyDVD works under certain circumstances, but not all. The specific circumstance that I need it to work under, ripping a CSS protected DVD through the ripstation does not work.

That doesn't give any good infomation to go off or know what is going on.

-->I disagree. This was to prevent others from stating that I should simply rip my DVDs using the built in unit. With that volume, I need the ripstation solution to function.

Without us knowing more to find a problem or solution it is even harder to get at. Also you already stated that Anydvd and your Laptop works fine so why are you trying to blame the software again for something that isn't a Anydvd problem??

Did you even try to contact the manufacture of this problem???

-->Yes, I have spoken with the manufacturer. In all circumstances except copy protected DVDs, the manufacturer software and hardware is functioning correctly. Since AnyDVD is designed to "make DVDs readeable for all adequate Windows programs automatically", and since MediaGrabber performs without errors and to spec, there is clearly a conflict between AnyDVD and the MideaGrabber software.

I've spent approx. 10 hours troubleshooting this, so if anyone has constructive feedback or ideas, rather than defensive and accusatory remarks, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had a valid question without any accusatory remarks.

Drive not visible = no process

I had one of these robot things in Support not too long ago.
This will never work.
AnyDVD will indeed remove protections and you proved it works just peachy on the native machine and drive.
That device is not a "drive" and I doubt it will appear in AnyDVD's "drive" list.
That being true, how should AnyDVD "see" a DVD on that machine?

AnyDVD is tied to the operating system where it is installed and must "read" discs in parallel with the operating system. It will *not* run as a linked program from such an intelligent robot machine like that. AnyDVD will not send the ripped content out over some interface.

thanks

I had a valid question without any accusatory remarks.

That you did, and my comments were not directed at you. Appreciate the willingness to troubleshoot.

Yes the drive is visible (as one would expect) as a BluRay drive. No the disc is not visible when auto loaded into the drive by the robot. But, it is recognized by the MediaGrabber software.

That said, I will send more details shortly in response to Frank's most recent post.

thanks and additional info

This will never work.
AnyDVD will indeed remove protections and you proved it works just peachy on the native machine and drive.
That device is not a "drive" and I doubt it will appear in AnyDVD's "drive" list.

AnyDVD is tied to the operating system where it is installed and must "read" discs in parallel with the operating system. It will *not* run as a linked program from such an intelligent robot machine like that. AnyDVD will not send the ripped content out over some interface.

Frank, thanks so much for the follow-up. Surprisingly, AnyDVD does work with the Ripstation and with MediaGrabber, as long as the disc does not have CSS protection.

Three images attached:

1. Screen cap that shows the error the software returns, when there is no time-out enabled.

2. Screen cap that shows the error the software returns, when there is a time-out enabled.

3. Screen cap that shows the successful rip of the non-CSS disc using both the ripstation Mediagrabber and the AnyDVD software together.

In the 3rd scenario, the robot drive loads the DVD, spins it up for about 3 seconds, then AnyDVD kicks in and things run smoothly.

In the 1st scenario, the robot drive loads the DVD, spins it up for about 4 seconds, then spins it down. It repeats this 3 or 4 times, then sits there indefinitely. (because there is no time-out to trigger a failed batch).

In the 2nd scenario, the robot drive loads the DVD, spins it up and immediately returns the error. Doesn't even have time to fully read the disc.

Only when the time-out function is disabled, does AnyDVD work with non-CSS protected discs. When the time-out function is enabled, it acts the exact same way as scenario 2.

For some reason, AnyDVD won't unlock CSS protected discs that are loaded into the ripper. But it will recognize other discs and run the analysis (as seen in screen cap for scenario 3).

Thanks again for any input.

Attachments

• error w no time out.jpg
    error w no time out.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 8
  • error w time out.JPG
    error w time out.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 8
  • non css disc.jpg
    non css disc.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
For some reason, AnyDVD won't unlock CSS protected discs that are loaded into the ripper. But it will recognize other discs and run the analysis (as seen in screen cap for scenario 3).

Then how about you create and attach a real AnyDVD Logfile for a disk that does work? It'll help. :)

-W

The fact that Windows doesn't see a disc when loaded by the machine would imply that AnyDVD won't see it either. Maybe you should ask the manufacturer how it's supposed to work with AnyDVD as you said they said it should.
Sounds to me like their software only passes on disc information to Windows if the disc is css free, if it's not then it doesn't pass it on to Windows and therefore AnyDVD doesn't know it even exists, if that is the case then it's down to their software

logfiles

The create logfile command directs AnyDVD to re-scan the DVD in the drive. If this is done in conjunction with the ripstation, it creates an error with the ripstation and the DVD is rejected. Because the ripstation software automatically ejects a DVD when it is finished, a logfile cannot be created for a successful rip using the rip station with a non-CSS protected DVD. At least, not that I can figure out.

If done with the built-in DVD drive, it works correctly.

I’ve attached a few logfiles.

1. A log file for a successful rip using the built in drive

2. A log file for a failed rip attempt using the ripstation and a CSS protected DVD

3. A log file for immediately after a failed rip attempt, when the ripstation software is waiting for AnyDVD to unlock the DVD

4. A log file created immediately after the ripstation loads a DVD (after which the logfile command ejects the disc –see screen cap)

5. A log file created at the very end of a ripstation rip of a non-CSS protencted DVD (after which the logfile command ejected the disc, but, this was retained in the logfile).

6. A screen cap of the error that the ripstation MediaGrabber returns when telling AnyDVD to create a logfile.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• logfiles.rar
    78.4 KB · Views: 7
These are not logfiles, to make a proper AnyDVD logfile you have to right click on the fox icon and tell it to make a logfile. I doubt a logfile will help as the proper drive information is not being passed to Windows due to the nature of the device and it's software so AnyDVD can't decrypt the disc because as far as it's concerned the drive is empty.

What happens if you exit out of the mediagrabber software. Is the drive still seen in windows? if so then what happens if you insert an encrypted disc, does AnyDVD see it properly?

Last edited:
works for region free DVD

Adbear,

I did exactly that, and the zip file created contained the .txt logfiles that are compressed in the logfiles.rar file I attached (which has to be downloaded to your computer to open -my browser wouldn't correctly read the .rar file when attempting to open from the thread). If you open the .txt files from within the .rar, I believe those to be logfiles, since they are titled "AnyDVD_log.txt".

All this aside, I have found a DVD that works correctly: Knights Tale. Even though it is CSS protected. When the robot loads it, Windows recognizes it, and it rips.

The MediaGrabber logfile for the successful rip using AnyDVD and the ripstation with MediaGrabber software is further below.

That said, I can't create an AnyDVD logfile for the successful rip using AnyDVD and the ripstation per my previous post, therefore, I am attaching a logfile from when I insert the same DVD (Knight's Tale) into my built in DVD drive. Might not be useful, and due to size restrictions for attachments, this is uploaded in a WinZip archive.

Regardless, this now shows that AnyDVD can work with the ripstation and MediaGrabber. That said, it has NOT worked with any other DVDs in my collection.

I'm also attaching a screen capture of the status window for AnyDVD with the disk in the internal drive, for both Knight's Tale (which worked), as well as Kingdom of Heaven (which didn't)

Key differences between the DVDs:

The DVD that works is region free, and has autorun. The one that doesn't work is for region 1, and does not have autorun.

I'll continue going through my collection to look for region free DVDs, or ones with autorun to try and re-create the scenario.

In the meantime, any thoughts as to whether or not either the region setting or the autorun would prevent AnyDVD from unlocking the discs? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks again.

1. MediaGrabber logfile:

15:24:57 The batch has started.

15:25:16 The loader has been initialized.

15:25:34 D: Waiting for drive to recognize next disc.

15:25:57 D: Now ripping disc DVD Files\001 DVD_VIDEO\ (UDF+ISO 9660,e5026911).

15:42:49 D: Successfully ripped disc DVD Files\001 DVD_VIDEO\.

15:43:04 The batch has completed.

16:03:17 The batch has started.

16:03:36 The loader has been initialized.

16:03:55 D: Waiting for drive to recognize next disc.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_log.zip
    14.4 KB · Views: 5
  • knights tale status.JPG
    knights tale status.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 7
  • kingdom of heaven.JPG
    kingdom of heaven.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 5
You should post up the zip file that AnyDVD creates as it contains more than just a txt document, i also contains system info and klz files.

Did you try what I suggested which is to exit the mediagrabber software and see if the drive is then seen properly?

Last edited:
full log file attached

Apologies for not providing earlier. Logfile zip is attached.

Also, bad news: when replicating the exact same environment and variables, same order of operations, Knight's Tale would not be recognized by AnyDVD this time when loaded in the ripstation.

Could this be a problem with a driver?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.0.4.0_Info_D_EMPTY_DRIVE.zip
    23.7 KB · Views: 5
Did you try what I suggested which is to exit the mediagrabber software and see if the drive is then seen properly?

blu-ray works

Great suggestion (sorry I didn’t try it much earlier when you suggested it).

Did the following:

Manually opened the BD-RE drive in the ripstation and inserted a non-CSS protected disc. This was recognized successfully and AnyDVD went to work.

Manually inserted a protected DVD (Knight’s Tale, which previously worked and then didn’t work), and it was not recognized by the drive, and AnyDVD did not work.

Then got the idea to try a BluRay. Inserted one manually, it was recognized and AnyDVD went to work right away. Decided to try the same with the ripstation and MediaGrabber software, and it has successfully recognized and AnyDVD has successfully removed the protection from the first two BluRay discs I’ve tried.

Also, with both the non-CSS disc and with Blu-Rays, there appears to be a USB-SATA bridge that is recognized by windows -this goes away when the rip is complete. Screen cap attached.

I’m thrilled it’s working for BluRrays, but how come this would not work for DVDs?

Attachments

• usb sata bridge.jpg
    usb sata bridge.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6
Key differences between the DVDs:

The DVD that works is region free, and has autorun. The one that doesn't work is for region 1, and does not have autorun.

I'll continue going through my collection to look for region free DVDs, or ones with autorun to try and re-create the scenario.

I have to ask - I have yet to find a Region Free DVD bought - all retail movie dvd are encoded to that Region and come in Pal or in Nstc formats. Region free only happens after Anydvd HD removes the Region parameters or another programs removes the Region Code and there is only one other way to get Region Free and that isn't how they are sold either in US or Euro. Standalone Region Free DVD player that they sell but don't come cheap unlike DVD players for specific Region which don't cost much. How about a log file for the BlueRay as Adbear asked about that will tell us the format used in the BluRay as well. Also I saw in your jpg there is a matishua drive something of which is not the best drive to even have to do what your trying to do or have in the laptop-those drives are the worst to do what you want to do. And how about on the Sony laptop and its drive create a log file of the DVD you mention was Region 1 and autorun always is on unless turned off or disabled. My DVD for my desktop and laptop will always ask what program do I want to run the DVD the pop always come up unless it is disable from running or DVD has been authored such that is has no autorun then would conclude windows won't see it unless you go to Explorer and look at the cd drive itself to see the DVD media identified there. But a log file of that Region 1 and no Autorun would help to know what kinda dvd it is exactly from your Sony Drive itself not from the RipStation??

the software developer was the one that recommended AnyDVD

What was their recommendation then and how did they state it and do you still have the link to where they said and how they informed you as to how to make Anydvd HD work with their software???

I've spent approx. 10 hours troubleshooting this, so if anyone has constructive feedback or ideas, rather than defensive and accusatory remarks, it would be greatly appreciated.

No one is accusing here but when you already said one software is the cause before anyone could know what was going on or even read the log files that are to be created to get a sense of what happening with the hardware and software. One has to wonder are they trying to fix something not related to Slysoft for something else? Also the stickies does talk about trouble shooting but also mentions that one must create a log file so others can see what is happening and give help accordingly.

Here a snippet of Franks response...

This will never work.

Also is that Matshita drive on the laptop in your jpg pictuer? Because if so those drives are the bottom of the choice if you going to burn or backup dvd as they are locked to the Region they are made for and allows no ability to change the Region code.

Last edited:
You could try updating to service pack 3 for XP, but I suspect it's going to be a quirk of the device itself as it's not seen by windows as a standard drive. You could also try exiting the media software and exiting AnyDVD then checking the drive in device manager and seeing what it's region code is set to, if it's not set then try setting it to region 1 (you must have exited from the media software and from AnyDVD before doing this)

Also whilst exited from the mediagrabber software insert a Blu-ray and get AnyDVD to make a logfile and post the zip file up.

You might want to check the blu-ray rip you made as Blu-rays aren't seen with region code by Windows and can be ripped to harddrive even with copy protection left on so this may be giving you a false result. Try exiting AnyDVD and then playing back the rip

@recycle
I've had DVD's that are CSS protected but are region free both from the US and from the UK. Last time I bought a DVD player (was a few years ago now) I just bought a cheap one and was given the unlock code in the shop to make it region free, also over here we're not limited even on cheap players to only one frame rate, so pretty much all our players will do both PAL and NTSC, but none of this has anything to do with the problem.

Last edited:
That's helpful, but nevertheless...

Frank, thanks so much for the follow-up. Surprisingly, AnyDVD does work with the Ripstation and with MediaGrabber, as long as the disc does not have CSS protection.

Thanks again for any input.

Thank you for the great details. This more or less clarifies the scenario and as said again in the previous post the disc is not being made "visible" to Windows if it is protected and if that is the case then AnyDVD will not "see" a thing either.

It would not surprise me if this is intentional on the part of the manufacturer.
As suggested, contact them and ask how a protected disc can be "seen" by Windows through the robot. It's a fixed process, really. First drive, Windows, then AnyDVD.

Back