• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion not working

camperxl

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion not working - Windows 7 RC

Problem:
Can't get AOE Conquerors to run. Followed suggestions in this post as well
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=18701&highlight=conquerors

First there are a number of things to try before posting.

1. If you are having problems after an update, completely uninstall Game Jackal and reboot. Then reinstall the new version (note your profiles and setting will be preserved). If you are still having problems after an update, try re-profiling the offending profile.
Did not work in 3.2.0.6 or in beta 3.2.0.9

2. Follow the recommendations of the Performance and Reliability wizard.
Did

3. Create the profile with "Image mode" checked. This is not an ideal solution, however it does help when we are troubleshooting issues with profiles.
Will do if absolutely necessary; started process but seems to take ages to complete

4. If you have virtual drives, disable them while profiling and playing profiles. This includes Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Virtual Clonedrive, Clonecd Tray, and VSO's EZ Play (comes with Blindwrite). These are programs that are typically blacklisted by copy protections.
Disabled Virtual CloneDrive, no change

Failing the above, please answer these questions when posting about issues:

1. What version of Game Jackal are you running?

2. What operating system are you using? 64 bit? service pack?
Windows 7 RC, Build 7100, 32-bit

3. What protection does your game use? Don't know? Find out before posting about issues (and include that information)! Use Protection ID. It's a free program. Use ProtectionID and scan your HD directory where the game is installed (right click the icon on your toolbar, and select "scan files/folders"). Or just scan the main program .exe(s) that you find in the game directory on your hard drive. Provide the protection name and the version number.
SafeDisc 1.50.020

4. What is the name of the game you're trying to run?
Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion

5. What is the version of the game?
1.0c

6. Is it CD or DVD version?
CD

7. What region or country is the original disc from?
USA

8. What CPU are you running?
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

9. What optical drives (dvd-rom, cd-rom, burners) are you using to create profiles with? What firmware version is installed on your reader?
PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8W2S ATA Device @ 2D16

10. What security software (firewall, antivirus) are you using? Please provide version numbers.
None

11. Describe your problem, provide full error messages, and please state clearly what you were doing when you received those error messages.
a. Click Create Profile
b. Target drive E:\
c. Select AOE2 Conquerors, Click Next
d. Click Next
e. Click Next
f. Insert disc into drive
g. GJ recognizes disc has been inserted, then dialogue box stating "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application" appears. Click OK.
h. GJ continues imaging process, reads from optical drive, completes profile. Click OK
i. Start AOE Conquerors GJ profile and get same error as in step "G" above. Click OK and get support options

12. Turn on Advanced logging.
1. In Game Jackal, go to "General Settings" then check "Enable Advanced Logging". Now try running your profile. Please note this setting is reset upon each restart of Game Jackal.
2. The method of obtaining the log file will depend on the Game Jackal version you are running.
For v3.2.0.2 and above, right-click the profile and select "View log", from here you can export the log files as a zip file using the "Export" button.
For pre v3.2.0.2, navigate to your Game Jackal folder (typically C:\Program Files\SlySoft\Game Jackal where "C:" is your hard drive if you use Windows XP), you will see a log file called "Summary.log". Zip this file up into "Summary.zip".
3. When replying or posting in the SlySoft forums, look for the icon that looks like (in other words, look for the paper clip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
4. If you don't see that paper clip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paper clip.
5. A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the SlySoft forums)
6. Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the zip file
7. Click "Upload"
8. Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at.
Attached

Attachments

• Age of Empires II The Conquerors.zip
    239.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I was able to reproduce this bug on completely different equipment - exact same repro steps, software versions, just different hardware.

Getting Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion to work is a hard job, because of the old Safedisc Versions, that GameJackal often has an issue with.
Old Safedisc versions are based on defective sectors that are located in the first 5% of the data structure of a media and contain about 10000 defective sectors.

If the defective sectors are not reproduced exactly, that's a no go. Trying to emulate the sectors won't really help. Most burning applications use special read-methods to skip these sectors.

What profile did you use? You know there's a Age of Empires Profile.
If that one didn't work for you, it probably needs to be updated.

Try the first SafeDisc (General Profile Map) and if that is no success go for the ImageMode.

Good luck,
BurnerHEAD

I used the built in AOE Conquerors profile. Then I tried your suggestion of the SafeDisc (General Profile Map) option. Still no luck there. I'll try the ImageMode now and post how that goes.

I assume when you say "probably needs to be updated." you're referring to something Slysoft has to do?

I used the built in AOE Conquerors profile. Then I tried your suggestion of the SafeDisc (General Profile Map) option. Still no luck there. I'll try the ImageMode now and post how that goes.

Okay, we'll see.

@matthew:
Can you please tell me what the difference between these profiles is:
- Safedisc Protected Game
- Safedisc Protected Game (General Profile Map)

@camperxl:
You can try the normal Safedisc Protected Game profile, as well.

I assume when you say "probably needs to be updated." you're referring to something Slysoft has to do?

If there's a profile map for a game, this has a reason and it was designed to make sure that GameJackal captures the correct sectors.

If a profile is not working, it needs to updated by a matthew. He's going to post debug values for you.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

You're OS may be a problem with GameJackal. I wonder how you got AOEII to work. It's a really old game.

Last edited:
g. GJ recognizes disc has been inserted, then dialogue box stating "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application" appears. Click OK.

Hmm, if I get this right, this tells me that you're original disc is not working. How is GameJackal supposed to work then?

Clean your disc and first make sure, you're original disc is recognized by the game.

Hmm, if I get this right, this tells me that you're original disc is not working. How is GameJackal supposed to work then?

Clean your disc and first make sure, you're original disc is recognized by the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by "original disc not working". If I install the game and play the game with the original disc in the drive I have no issues, game plays fine. It isn't until GJ comes into play I ever see an error message about incorrect disc. To me that says the game disc is fine. It is also clean and scratch free as I treat all my discs with kid gloves.

I did try the preloaded AOE Conquerors GJ profile with imaging mode option selected this time and still have not had any success. So I guess my next move is the Safedisc Protected Game profile option you mentioned. I'll post how that goes as well. Thanks for your advice.

So I have maybe made a tiny bit of progress on this while learning in the process. If this is common knowledge I appologise, but apparently order is everything when profiling with GJ.

My original steps were to install AOE Conqueror, run 1.0c patch, launch game, exit game, profile with GJ.

I uninstalled AOE Conquerors and this time followed this procedure - install, launch game, exit game, profile with GJ.

This time at least I did not get any errors about incorrect discs, but my new problem is that the "Loading" screen just hangs on the screen. Even after a few minutes it's still there until I just deactivate the profile.

So I guess I'll keep trying some other of the menu options (SafeDisc, imaging, etc) - but I'm not clear on how patching and GJ coexist. Am I supposed to not patch, or patch after GJ has profiled the original game as-is?

Problem:
Can't get AOE Conquerors to run. Followed suggestions in this post as well
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=18701&highlight=conquerors

First there are a number of things to try before posting.

1. If you are having problems after an update, completely uninstall Game Jackal and reboot. Then reinstall the new version (note your profiles and setting will be preserved). If you are still having problems after an update, try re-profiling the offending profile.
Did not work in 3.2.0.6 or in beta 3.2.0.9

2. Follow the recommendations of the Performance and Reliability wizard.
Did

3. Create the profile with "Image mode" checked. This is not an ideal solution, however it does help when we are troubleshooting issues with profiles.
Will do if absolutely necessary; started process but seems to take ages to complete

4. If you have virtual drives, disable them while profiling and playing profiles. This includes Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Virtual Clonedrive, Clonecd Tray, and VSO's EZ Play (comes with Blindwrite). These are programs that are typically blacklisted by copy protections.
Disabled Virtual CloneDrive, no change

Failing the above, please answer these questions when posting about issues:

1. What version of Game Jackal are you running?

2. What operating system are you using? 64 bit? service pack?
Windows 7 RC, Build 7100, 32-bit

3. What protection does your game use? Don't know? Find out before posting about issues (and include that information)! Use Protection ID. It's a free program. Use ProtectionID and scan your HD directory where the game is installed (right click the icon on your toolbar, and select "scan files/folders"). Or just scan the main program .exe(s) that you find in the game directory on your hard drive. Provide the protection name and the version number.
SafeDisc 1.50.020

4. What is the name of the game you're trying to run?
Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion

5. What is the version of the game?
1.0c

6. Is it CD or DVD version?
CD

7. What region or country is the original disc from?
USA

8. What CPU are you running?
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

9. What optical drives (dvd-rom, cd-rom, burners) are you using to create profiles with? What firmware version is installed on your reader?
PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8W2S ATA Device @ 2D16

10. What security software (firewall, antivirus) are you using? Please provide version numbers.
None

11. Describe your problem, provide full error messages, and please state clearly what you were doing when you received those error messages.
a. Click Create Profile
b. Target drive E:\
c. Select AOE2 Conquerors, Click Next
d. Click Next
e. Click Next
f. Insert disc into drive
h. GJ continues imaging process, reads from optical drive, completes profile. Click OK
i. Start AOE Conquerors GJ profile and get same error as in step "G" above. Click OK and get support options

12. Turn on Advanced logging.
1. In Game Jackal, go to "General Settings" then check "Enable Advanced Logging". Now try running your profile. Please note this setting is reset upon each restart of Game Jackal.
2. The method of obtaining the log file will depend on the Game Jackal version you are running.
For v3.2.0.2 and above, right-click the profile and select "View log", from here you can export the log files as a zip file using the "Export" button.
For pre v3.2.0.2, navigate to your Game Jackal folder (typically C:\Program Files\SlySoft\Game Jackal where "C:" is your hard drive if you use Windows XP), you will see a log file called "Summary.log". Zip this file up into "Summary.zip".
3. When replying or posting in the SlySoft forums, look for the icon that looks like (in other words, look for the paper clip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
4. If you don't see that paper clip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paper clip.
5. A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the SlySoft forums)
6. Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the zip file
7. Click "Upload"
8. Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at.
Attached

The log files you posted were incomplete. They should also contain "emulate" logs. Can you please re-export?

Okay, we'll see.

@matthew:
Can you please tell me what the difference between these profiles is:
- Safedisc Protected Game
- Safedisc Protected Game (General Profile Map)

@camperxl:
You can try the normal Safedisc Protected Game profile, as well.

If there's a profile map for a game, this has a reason and it was designed to make sure that GameJackal captures the correct sectors.

If a profile is not working, it needs to updated by a matthew. He's going to post debug values for you.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

You're OS may be a problem with GameJackal. I wonder how you got AOEII to work. It's a really old game.

* Safedisc Protected Game - This is the standard profile method.
* Safedisc Protected Game (General Profile Map) - This uses a generic profile map. The sectors defined in Safedisc_DVD.map (or Safedisc_CD.map for cd's) are scanned during the profile process.

I will test this games and report back.

Emulation logs attached this time

Attachments

• Safedisc Protected Game (Generic Profile Map) Retry.zip
    606.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Log files are good.
Can you try re-profiling using "Safedisc Protected Game (Generic Profile Map)".

I did test this game under XP (didn't have a Win7 test box available) and it worked fine. I will test under Win7 ASAP.

Did not see any emulation logs created - hopefully it wasn't supposed to using this profiling method.

@matthew - could you also comment about my question on how patching a game and GJ coexist? I've looked for anything discussing this in the forum/FAQ and can't find anything. If I install a game @ ver 1.0 and profile it with GJ and then a patch is released to ver 1.1 do I have to reprofile?

Attachments

• Safedisc Protected Game (Generic Profile Map).zip
    256.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Did not see any emulation logs created - hopefully it wasn't supposed to using this profiling method.

There needs to be emulation logs. It may take a few moments for then to generate. If you right-click the profile now and select view logs the emulate logs should be there.

@matthew - could you also comment about my question on how patching a game and GJ coexist? I've looked for anything discussing this in the forum/FAQ and can't find anything. If I install a game @ ver 1.0 and profile it with GJ and then a patch is released to ver 1.1 do I have to reprofile?

This largely depends on the copy protection used and the type of patch. Sometimes you will need to re-profile, other times you wont.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emulation logs attached this time.

Attachments

• Safedisc Protected Game (Generic Profile Map) Retry.zip
    606.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@matthew:
I reformatted my machine to do some testing with Win 7 x64. I reinstalled/profiled Conquerors with the same results previously discussed (ie please insert correct CD). I also installed and AOE 2: Age of Kings and although it loads, it takes about 3 minutes from program launch to game controls. During that 3 minutes "Loading" splash screen is displayed.

Updated to GJ 3.2.1.2 (Win 7 x64) - Same issues with this game. Logs attached.

@matthew - do you have any updated information about your own testing with this game and Win 7?

Attachments

• Age of Empires II The Conquerors.zip
    129.5 KB · Views: 5
Updated to GJ 3.2.1.2 (Win 7 x64) - Same issues with this game. Logs attached.

@matthew - do you have any updated information about your own testing with this game and Win 7?

Yes we did test this on Win7 and it worked fine... although we did notice a long delay at start up. Also on a couple of occasions we had to use the "Safedisc (Generic Profile Map)" to get it to work.

With your log file... I did notice some strange calls that I need to look at.

Yes we did test this on Win7 and it worked fine... although we did notice a long delay at start up. Also on a couple of occasions we had to use the "Safedisc (Generic Profile Map)" to get it to work.

With your log file... I did notice some strange calls that I need to look at.

I'm only noticing a long delay on AOE2 and not working at all on Conquerors expansion, but will try the Generic Profile Map next. What do your findings mean long term for GJ though? Is this a "that's just the way it is, it's slow but working" or a "we see there's some performance issues and we'll be working on resolving them" stance? Just curious if I should keep reporting any performance issues with these games on Win 7 or not.

Last edited:
I'm only noticing a long delay on AOE2 and not working at all on Conquerors expansion, but will try the Generic Profile Map next. What do your findings mean long term for GJ though? Is this a "that's just the way it is, it's slow but working" or a "we see there's some performance issues and we'll be working on resolving them" stance? Just curious if I should keep reporting any performance issues with these games on Win 7 or not.

The performance issue we have reproduced here... and we will take a closer look. Let me know if the generic profile works.

Back