• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Adding a "cache clear" button to AnyStream

Status
Not open for further replies.

George++

It would be convenient to have a button in AS settings dialog or maybe somewhere on the GUI.

Or as a toggle option in the settings to clear the cache when closing the app.

It was mentioned, that we might add a way to clear that particular cache from within AnyStream, but it turned out to be a mess, because the AnyStream's browser needs to be closed entirely for that to work. Also, there are very, very few instances, where this would really solve a problem.

Logging out and in again should always do the trick anyway.
from some days ago on a similar topic ...

Last edited:
It's something that can be pulled off by us users as a test. Create a ramdisk and redirect that folder to the ramdisk through a symbolic link.

I do this on the regular for windows temp files. I might try it and see what it does. The thing though is I rarely have any issues with AS so it does not accomplish much for me.

I did a search before I made the request, nothing showed up. My mistake.

I know problems with the cache aren't a common problem.

If you're using RedFox's AnyStream and need to clear its cache, you can do this manually through the file explorer or automate the process using a batch or PowerShell script.
I've created a PowerShell script that automates this task for convenience and efficiency. Before running the script, please ensure the AnyStream program is closed to avoid potential conflicts.

PowerShell Script:
This script automatically locates the AnyStream cache folder within the current user's LocalAppData directory and clears its contents, removing all files and subfolders. This is particularly useful for troubleshooting issues related to cached data.

Code:
# Define the path to the folder whose contents you want to delete using the environment variable
$folderPath = Join-Path -Path $env:LOCALAPPDATA -ChildPath "RedFox\AnyStream\cache"

# Check if the folder exists
if (Test-Path -Path $folderPath) {
    # Get all items in the folder and remove them
    Get-ChildItem -Path $folderPath -Recurse | Remove-Item -Force -Recurse
    Write-Host "All contents of the folder '$folderPath' have been deleted."
} else {
    Write-Host "The specified folder '$folderPath' does not exist."
}

# Wait for the user to press a key before closing
Write-Host "Press any key to continue..."
$null = Read-Host

How to Use:
  1. Copy the script into a text file and save it with a .ps1 extension, e.g., ClearAnyStreamCache.ps1.
  2. Right-click the file and select "Run with PowerShell" to execute the script.

Disclaimer:

This script is provided for informational purposes and should be used with caution.
It is essential to review and understand the script before running it.
The script executes without a confirmation prompt, meaning that any data deleted cannot be recovered once run.
Using this script, you acknowledge and accept the risks, agreeing to proceed at your responsibility. The author of this script or the forum cannot be held liable for any damages or data loss resulting from its use.
Always ensure adequate backups of important data before running scripts that alter or remove files.

I prefer the ramdisk method. It clears every time you reboot :p

I prefer the ramdisk method. It clears every time you reboot :p

Ramdisk Method:
- Pros:
- Automatic Clearing: The cache is automatically cleared every time the system reboots, ensuring a fresh start without manual intervention.
- Potential Performance Improvement: While a ramdisk can offer faster read/write speeds compared to traditional storage, the actual performance boost for cached data might be minimal for everyday applications. The impact is more pronounced in scenarios involving intensive disk I/O operations.

- Cons:
- Volatility: Data stored on a ramdisk is volatile; a power loss or system crash can result in the loss of all data stored on the ramdisk, not just the cache.
- RAM Usage: Ramdisks consume a portion of your system's RAM, which might be a concern for systems with limited memory, especially when running memory-intensive applications.
- Complexity and Frequent Logins: Setting up a ramdisk might be more complex and less accessible to less tech-savvy users. Additionally, since the ramdisk is cleared at every reboot, applications storing session data or login information in the cache will require users to log in again after every restart, which could be inconvenient.

PowerShell Script Method:
- Pros:
- Control and Selective Clearing: Provides more control over when and how the cache is cleared, allowing for manual execution or scheduling at convenient times. Unlike the ramdisk method, the PowerShell script only clears the cache when executed, allowing users to maintain their application sessions and login states until they choose to clear the cache.
- Simplicity and Flexibility: Easy to set up and use, especially for users familiar with Windows environments. The script can be customized to target specific directories or types of files, offering more granular control over the cache clearing process.

- Cons:
- Manual Intervention: Unless scheduled, the script requires manual execution, which might be less convenient for users seeking a set-and-forget solution.
- No Inherent Performance Boost: Using a script doesn't inherently improve application performance or reduce wear on physical storage. The performance impact of clearing cache via script is generally neutral, serving more as a maintenance or troubleshooting action rather than a performance enhancement.

Disclaimer: Both methods involve data deletion, which is irreversible. It's crucial to ensure that any data stored in the cache or on the ramdisk is not critical or is adequately backed up elsewhere.

In conclusion, while the ramdisk method offers the convenience of automatic clearing and has the potential for faster data access in high I/O scenarios, its benefits for everyday cached data might not be significant for all users. The PowerShell script provides a more controlled and flexible approach to cache management, with the added benefit of preserving user sessions until manual intervention. The choice between these methods should be based on individual needs, system resources, and the specific requirements of the applications in use.

If you send user and system temp files to the same ramdisk then , in my opinion, it is very much worth the time. Maybe not for the technically squeamish but this is a method I have used for years successfully. If you use a good ramdisk program it makes it simple. I use Romex's Primo Ramdisk.

Thank you for sharing your insights on using Romex's Primo Ramdisk to manage temp files.
Clearing user and system temp files on every reboot can offer a streamlined solution.
However, different users may prefer different approaches based on their technical comfort and specific demands.
It's great to have various tools and approaches at our disposal, allowing users to find the solution that best fits their unique situation.

Thank you for sharing your insights on using Romex's Primo Ramdisk to manage temp files.
Clearing user and system temp files on every reboot can offer a streamlined solution.
However, different users may prefer different approaches based on their technical comfort and specific demands.
It's great to have various tools and approaches at our disposal, allowing users to find the solution that best fits their unique situation.
Why do you sound like AI now?

I'm not sure if I should take this as a compliment or an offence.
🤣
Well technically it was intended as neither. Simply an observation. But now that you replied I know you are a human and not an AI API. :p Or a PPAP :p (look it up on YouTube and no it's not anything but silly).

Well technically it was intended as neither. Simply an observation. But now that you replied I know you are a human and not an AI API. :p Or a PPAP :p (look it up on YouTube and no it's not anything but silly).
🤣

"I'm a cybernetic organism, living tissue over metal endoskeleton."

Reactions: DQ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back