• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AACS 2.1

Regardless of your opinion, these discs do behave in a region-locked way.
Interesting. Currently AnyDVD will not touch regions, if the disc is UHD. Do I have to change this? I don't really like to... Maybe some hidden option?

Interesting. Currently AnyDVD will not touch regions, if the disc is UHD. Do I have to change this? I don't really like to... Maybe some hidden option?

For the sake of a handful of releases? Chances are, none of the people who reported those discs got in touch with the studio to complain that they are non-compliant...

It goes against the spec, yes. That doesn't mean they aren't doing it, as we're seeing. But it's not super widespread. A hidden option, if it's not a lot of trouble to add, makes sense. Doing it as a matter of course for a standard that doesn't include region code? No.

It goes against the spec, yes. That doesn't mean they aren't doing it, as we're seeing. But it's not super widespread. A hidden option, if it's not a lot of trouble to add, makes sense. Doing it as a matter of course for a standard that doesn't include region code? No.
The problem is, I don't have any official standard. So I don't know how a blu-ray player should behave, if an UHD disc reads the player's region code register. If that's even defined. Shall it explode? Refuse playback? Crash? I assume all players will simply return their value (A, B or C), which must be set for non UHD media anyway. And voila, the region lock is back. I guess that smaller disc-focused studios without own international distribution (hello, Lionsgate) would really like to have the region lock back.
And I doubt there is or ever will be a "UHD only" player without said register.
Code:
disc.is_uhd=false
This *could* be intentional. Maybe the authoring software would refuse to read the region code register otherwise.

<snip>

This *could* be intentional. Maybe the authoring software would refuse to read the region code register otherwise.

It could be deeper than that: if the authoring software was written to strict spec, it could just reject the master altogether unless it's expressly told it's not authoring for UHD, but having seen enough stupid mistakes being made on the BD authoring side, I still think it's just copy and paste cock ups

The problem is, I don't have any official standard. So I don't know how a blu-ray player should behave, if an UHD disc reads the player's region code register. If that's even defined. Shall it explode? Refuse playback? Crash? I assume all players will simply return their value (A, B or C), which must be set for non UHD media anyway. And voila, the region lock is back. I guess that smaller disc-focused studios without own international distribution (hello, Lionsgate) would really like to have the region lock back.
And I doubt there is or ever will be a "UHD only" player without said register.

Your assumption that these players would return their region coding if asked is 99.9% likely correct. The only real difference between UHD and BD from a player perspective is the codec support. So in that regard, yes, they could simply add region coding like what has been on these handful of discs and it would likely just work. But they are also taking a risk depending on how the player firmware is written. Do they treat BD and UHD "differently?" Probably not, but, that's not exactly a guarantee. It's more likely that players simply expanded the existing BD code to handle the new codecs for UHD. That's a good time......

It could be deeper than that: if the authoring software was written to strict spec, it could just reject the master altogether unless it's expressly told it's not authoring for UHD
That's what I meant.

but having seen enough stupid mistakes being made on the BD authoring side, I still think it's just copy and paste cock ups
Quite possible. Let's see, if other UHD titles with "region lock" show up.

I wonder if any of those who said they had the region locked UHDs actually get in touch with seller, or the distributors, or their UHD player manufacturer.

My only contention was the 0x0x0x0x0 was saying it was a mistake or someone that was inept did something wrong. I don't believe that's the case. If you read the blu-ray.com thread, it is pretty clear that, at least in the case of Greenland, this is completely intentional by the maker of the disc.

My only contention was the 0x0x0x0x0 was saying it was a mistake or someone that was inept did something wrong. I don't believe that's the case. If you read the blu-ray.com thread, it is pretty clear that, at least in the case of Greenland, this is completely intentional by the maker of the disc.

Where exactly does it say it is intentional on that forum? Link to the specific post please!

Back