• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Aacs 2.0

My Life Is Tech

Any plan on cracking AACS 2.0 when it comes around? I despise the idea of requiring an internet connection just to watch a movie. :doh:

Give them time...if Sony can make it they can break it....they are on a loosing game....

Didn't even know that was a thing. Not sure how they can get away with requiring and Internet connection, that doesn't seem legal.

"Man made it man can break it" is a catch all throw away term and fails to show how in order to "break" it you might need a LOT of time, money, and intelligence, unless there is an oversight (a security hole). If I encrypt my bank account spreadsheets in a 100 character random password rar file with lower and upper case letters, numbers, and symbols, then why can't anyone break it? Man made it, didn't they?

How about a little more background on what AACS 2.0 is???

Is it implied that an internet connection will be a requirement to play an AACS 2.0 disk on a standalone player? If that's the case, Sony would be shooting itself in the foot. I know many people who do not have their stand alone players connected to the internet nor will they ever.

Also, you are probably correct in that such a requirement just to play a disk would be a violation of the Blu-Ray standard. Special features may not fall under that, but functionality of the feature movie offered on the disk most likely would.

More details please.........

Is it implied that an internet connection will be a requirement to play an AACS 2.0 disk on a standalone player? If that's the case, Sony would be shooting itself in the foot. I know many people who do not have their stand alone players connected to the internet nor will they ever.

Statistics show that discs are becoming more and more a smaller market, with the biggest money to be made from streaming. Requiring an Internet connection to play a disc might just be trying to kill off the disc market even faster.

Didn't even know that was a thing. Not sure how they can get away with requiring and Internet connection, that doesn't seem legal.
Just to put things in perspective, the software program you currently use to circumvent DRM... requires an internet connection.

AACS 2.0 is being considered for the UHD disc format. It's not being considered for blu-ray. If and when AnyDVD UHD is released, we'll find out then if it's handled. This is mere leaked information about a potential format and you guys are already asking if it's going to be supported? Um, how about we wait til it gets here to even see how it's implemented. Part of the rumored spec allows for offline discs, too. It's not mandatory that ALL discs require an internet connection. Also, the internet connection is required exactly once to download the title key which is then stored on the device. Read before panic(tm).

http://www.myce.com/news/sony-hack-reveals-aacs-2-0-ultra-hd-blu-ray-copy-protection-details-75833/

reduced availability of Blu-ray discs

Statistics show that discs are becoming more and more a smaller market, with the biggest money to be made from streaming. Requiring an Internet connection to play a disc might just be trying to kill off the disc market even faster.
I would like endorse Pelvis Popcan's post. In my neck of the woods it is impossible to buy re-writeable discs and once only recordable Blu-Ray blanks are not easy to obtain. I had to buy my rewriteable discs direct from the distributor. It seems to me that only broadcast bandwith restrictions will save the disc. The Japanese are hoping to broadcast the 2020 Olympics in 8K format that will put the frequency allocation systems to the test.

That's one of the many reasons I love Japan. I'm personally skipping 4k and going straight to 8k when I eventually upgrade my equipment again. In any case, let's not fret today about an incomplete standard and what it means for the future. Aacs is likely to be the least of our problems with it. I'd be more concerned about the new bd+ type system they're cooking up. Or the fact that all players will likely have some form of Cinavia built in from day one.

So with all the posts, a few things became clearer:

1) AACS 2.0 applies to a future UHD standard - not BDs which will remain playable without an internet connection

2) The statement about AnyDVD requiring an internet connection places nothing in "perspective" since it's not a totally true statement (I use AnyDVD all the time without a connection), and comparing the use of AnyDVD to playing a disk is like comparing apples and oranges.

3) All disk sales (yes, even CDs and DVDs) provide revenue streams to the makers. It's not like it's costing them to keep making disks, and it's illogical that makers would cut any significant revenue stream. Therefore, it's unlikely BDs are going away any time soon. (The demise of DVDs was predicted quite a while back but just check out the DVD stocks at your local store).

4) Since the original topic about AACS 2.0 applies to a future (yet to be established) product which hasn't been finalized (and is hardly applicable to AnyDVD at this point in time), how about moving this thread to the General Chat section rather than AnyDVD? It's really starting to wander from an AnyDVD topic.

1) AACS 2.0 applies to a future UHD standard - not BDs which will remain playable without an internet connection

It is not widely known, but there have been BDs, which required an internet connection to play (based on BD+). So this idea is not really a new one.
(And for those complaining about AnyDVD on a few, rare occasions requiring an internet connection: these discs play without an internet connection, as long as AnyDVD is running. Shocked?).

Since many (most?) hardware BD players out there are not connected, they didn't dare to extend this "feature" to hw players, so it was limited to software players.
Still: keep in mind, that from a consumers point of view, nothing changes with the possibility to require an internet connection. It's always been there.

2) The statement about AnyDVD requiring an internet connection places nothing in "perspective" since it's not a totally true statement (I use AnyDVD all the time without a connection), and comparing the use of AnyDVD to playing a disk is like comparing apples and oranges.

Correct. I'd say (gut-guessing) no more than 2% of the BDs require AnyDVD to have an internet connection.

4) Since the original topic about AACS 2.0 applies to a future (yet to be established) product which hasn't been finalized (and is hardly applicable to AnyDVD at this point in time), how about moving this thread to the General Chat section rather than AnyDVD? It's really starting to wander from an AnyDVD topic.

Agreed, moving it...

And like the proposed AACS 2.0 spec, AnyDVD only requires an internet connection once to download the titlekey and/or some new BD+ code. After that, the disc will play without an internet connection. The AACS 2.0 proposal does something very similar. So I blame SlySoft for the design. LMAO! (I'm totally kidding here, but, it is funny. :D)

Is it possible for those new titlekeys and BD+ codes to be implemented into AnyDVD HD itself so it never has to connect to the internet?

sure if you want
a) slysoft to buy EVERY single movie from EVERY COUNTRY over the entire planet (to make sure they don't miss one)
b) the anydvd setup file to increase exponentially because of A

In response to A, how are they currently getting the keys anyway? There has to be a way to take the keys they currently have and implement them with little to no cost.

In response to B, for me, hard drive space is not an issue. And I wouldn't imagine the keys to be very large at all, it may take hundreds if not thousands of keys to increase the size of AnyDVD HD massively.

Also come to think of it, they could offer two different downloads for AnyDVD HD, one download that requires internet, and one download that contains the keys locally. :D

They don't, they only buy the ones really needed, and there already is a way. It's called the OPD, Online Protection Database where the keys are stored. Last news about that is that it was already several hundred megabytes in size. How they get new ones, well they find them in a way through the logfiles.

Fancy downloading a 500+MB setup file for every (beta) version? I don't, not when I don't have to and not everyone has high speed internet either to do it.

Anydvd has a small local database where it stores it's keys, and when it encounters a disc that's not in it or inquires the OPD with disc specific info, the OPD then processes that info and sends the matching key (if already known) back to anydvd which then uses it to decrypt the disc and stores it in the local database for future use.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Is there any way to backup the local database for those of us who don't have 24/7 internet connection on all of our PCs?

Yup, but I don't know the specific file in question or its location. That's for someone like @James to say.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Hopefully James can tell us how, that way, when AnyDVD HD downloads the key, if we have to install it on another machine without internet, we won't have to re-download the key, as we can just copy the local database to the other PC.

Back