• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion aacs 2.0 cracked by researchers

I'm hopeful that the outcomes of this work might help Redfox to deliver more prompt support for new AACS 2.0 titles, as well as a degree of support for AACS 2.1. I don't love the online-only aspect of the current AACS 2.0 support, but for me it isn't the most significant issue

This is definitely interesting. It's likely going to be a nail in the coffin of official UHD playback on PC's. It was already dying anyway as Intel has deprecated SGX for Windows 11. But the fact that it exposed some previously unknown details of AACS 2.0 may or may not be useful. It certainly won't do anything for AACS 2.1. That's a radically different animal and very few titles actually use it. Not worth the trouble to break it. But AACS 2.0? That would be worth it. Quite impressive.

As I said forget about aacs 2.1. What would be useful is being able to retrieve title keys like what happens for aacs 1.0. The fact that they were able to modify libaacs to decrypt a title on an unofficial player on Linux means it should be possible in theory. What has me thinking is that the technique in this paper combined with libredive's ability to access protected parts of the disc while ignoring mkb revocation and host certificate authentication could prove extremely useful. We'll have to wait and see what, if anything, this means for anydvd.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

It certainly won't do anything for AACS 2.1. That's a radically different animal and very few titles actually use it. Not worth the trouble to break it.

As I said forget about aacs 2.1.

To be fair to the authors of this paper, they did provide the first full public description of the AACS 2.1 key derivation process. They also detailed how to obtain both the device keys and host certificate required to playback AACS 2.0/2.1 content. It certainly would've been neat if they discreetly dumped the keys somewhere online or described a means to circumvent the 'traitor tracing' mechanisms, but they still broke AACS 2.1 and that is a great effort.

To be fair to the authors of this paper, they did provide the first full public description of the AACS 2.1 key derivation process. They also detailed how to obtain both the device keys and host certificate required to playback AACS 2.0/2.1 content. It certainly would've been neat if they discreetly dumped the keys somewhere online or described a means to circumvent the 'traitor tracing' mechanisms, but they still broke AACS 2.1 and that is a great effort.
I'm not discounting their work at all. But there's a bit more to aacs 2.1 beyond what they published. The mechanism to decrypt aacs 2.1 exposes the source of the decryption... it's really quite nasty and also very expensive for studios to implement which is why it's only on a handful of titles

As for obtaining the device keys and host cert, yes it exploits powerdvd. They surmise it would be difficult for cyberlink to prevent that from continuing but if they pull the plug on official uhd support in powerdvd the problem could be stopped. What I'd like to see is bypassing that part of the protection completely by using libredrive to read the vuk without the need for a host cert, and then use a known player key to decrypt the title key. I'm not sure if that's possible but I suspect it is.

I am indeed very pleased with their success in cracking this infamous copy protection.

I had an unpleasant, recent experience when my former LG WH16NS40 drive that had to be replaced by a new one. My older drive had the UHD friendly 1.02 firmware, but the one came to me with an encrypted version 1.05, which made it useless to even read UHD Blu-Ray discs. As a result, like many others in this forum, I had to downgrade it to the former firmware. I bought the tool instead of using the free available version. That app changed the drive to the same version 1.05, but without the reading issues as before. Apparently they use their own database. The tool downloaded the firmware automatically, and it took just a few minutes to change the firmware. I tested everything, because my primary usage for the drive is for burning music. I can now continue to playback UHD discs by using AnyDVD HD as before.

Furthermore, I also run CyberlLnk's PowerDVD on an AMD Ryzen PC, and I feel sorry for those with more recent Intel processors, who cannot take advantage of UHD playback any more. CyberLink's help pages suggest that these users should go back to older PCs, simply unbelievable!

Did anyone doubt this would not happen? It just goes to show if you try hard enough anything is achievable.
It's likely going to be a nail in the coffin of official UHD playback on PC's
Intel has deprecated SGX

Clueless here, um, what's SGX?
Also playback on PC's coffined? That would prevent playback of any discs...While I only have BR (Sony) -- it doesn't
read most disc -- if it wasn't for PC, I couldn't play BR, let alone UHD...

Clueless here, um, what's SGX?
Also playback on PC's coffined? That would prevent playback of any discs...While I only have BR (Sony) -- it doesn't
read most disc -- if it wasn't for PC, I couldn't play BR, let alone UHD...
SGX is an Intel encrypted sandbox to protect sensitive code like aacs decryption algorithms and keys. Think of it like protected memory inside your pc, protected with hardware called a trusted protection module, or tpm. Two issues with that. One is that Intel has deprecated it and is no longer including it on new processors. The other is that earlier versions of it are susceptible to attack. That is how the researchers were able to learn the inner workings of powerdvd. That allowed them to see and replicate how aacs decryption works.

Because of the security flaws combined with the fact that Intel no longer supports SGX on new processors, it's reasonable to conclude that official uhd playback on the pc is pretty much dead. Notice i said official playback. As long as anydvd is able to provide title keys, unofficial software will continue to be able to play uhd titles with the exception of aacs 2.1 titles. There aren't many of those.

Just trying to clarify: SGX is a data or code protection scheme meant for Intel motherboards and processors.SGX is short for Software Guard Extension. You can see an explanation in this video: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...are-guard-extensions-intel-sgx-animation.html

As far as I know, SGX was never meant for UHD Blu-Ray protection, but it was used to that end. That implementation automatically excluded PC's other than Intel-based machines for UHD playback. Before AnyDVD HD was developed to circumvent this limitation, my AMD-based PC that was fitted with the afore mentioned LG WH16NS40 could read the disc but not play it. And Cyberlink warned users of this limitation.

When Intel decided to deprecate, i.e., to quit using SGX from generations 11 and above all those users with newer Intel systems could no longer play UHD discs; When questioned about this, Cyberlink's support suggested those affected to go back to older Intel machines. See their explanation here: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690

Currently, AnyDVD HD plus a decent player will play UHD discs off UHD-friendly drives, with, mind you, HDR 10 in a typical Windows environment, if an HDR monitor and graphics card capable are used.

At this point, I do not know if users with newer Intel machines could achieve the same results, but I hope they do.

If aacs protection is removed you can play it on any capable hardware, amd, Intel, whatever. They used vlc on Linux in their proof of concept to show that the protection was completely removed. Obviously anydvd won't work on Linux but the point is anydvd will remove the protection for any cpu.

Obviously anydvd won't work on Linux but the point is anydvd will remove the protection for any cpu.

And I am grateful and glad that it was done so elegantly. I use AnyDVD since its early RPC-1 days, not for playing video discs but for my research on movies, capturing screens, etc.

DRM was and still is disgraceful on all accounts. While authors or filmmakers have the right to protect their work, the person who bought their media has a legitimate right to use it as he or she pleases. DRM says that you the buyer do not own the media content or the right to play it outside its boundaries. Throughout the years studios started using DVD-Regions to prevent people from playing DVD's bought in foreign markets. But operating systems would allow 5 region changes, and I don't recall why they would allow the user to do that. Be as it may, in real life this region restriction was abusive, and never worked as intended.

Standalone DVD players manufactured and sold in this country for "Region 4" could play anything from anywhere, PAL or NTSC discs. I remember vividly, Philips sending technicians to retailers only to unlock region playback with a special remote. I had a couple of friends at Sony's who sold and installed a circuit board to unlock their players as well. At a certain point in time, Sony itself decided to issue already code free players.

Brazil started pressing DVDs for other countries long before they decided to press R4 discs. That's why all players sold here were R1. I wrote a letter to Columbia explaining that local consumers were buying R1 discs and were eager to have movies with Portuguese subtitles. It could have been that I was not the only one to claim that, but at any rate, they decided to release "Silverado" with Portuguese subtitles. This movie, by the way, was shot in Super 35 mm, and the first DVD was not matted to Panavision 2.35:1, letting us see the whole, untreated picture.

Even today, I can easily find UHD Blu-Ray releases with either Portuguese soundtracks and/or subtitles. Brazil still does not press UHD discs, but studios know that people buy them from elsewhere.

In other words, region coding was never effective as a protective measure. In fact, it made film lovers to look for solutions and/or spending more money to that effect.

Where can I find this movie in this aspect ratio?

Hi, to the best of my knowledge, the first DVD pressing of Silverado was the only one with an open matte. At the time, many people complained and Columbia issued a second DVD on the corrected Panavision aspect ratio.

Many people liked the open matte version. I myself kept that DVD for quite a while, but later gave it to a friend when the Blu-Ray was released.

That was not the first time a movie was transferred to video in an open matte. On my old Laserdsc copy of Back To The Future you cuold see the entire frame before cropping. There is a scene when Marty started to play his guitar next to the rock-and-roll musicians that it was possible to see the pianist reaction to his playing. That reaction is not possible to see any more when the picture was adjusted to the theatrical aspect ratio.

Maybe you might find the Silverado first DVD from a collector who wants to part with it. That pressing is long gone, and probably very difficult to find, but anyway good luck!

has any progress been made about this by redfox?

Back