• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A very helpful site - blu-ray.com

As I've said previously I wasn't really all that enthused about this release initially. But after this now I do want the danged discs!

Crossing toes and eyes as well.
Many 4k releases (of older titles) actually suck because they don't really upscale it well and or maybe it was not filmed well initially. So you see some that are very grainy and they could have just been blu-ray and gotten the same effect. But many are remasters that are upscaled well and or were filmed very well and they come out glorious. I think I had read "The Abyss" was a remaster. So I have high hopes it comes out awesome because that movie was visually stunning at the time. I hope the same for "The Crow".

Yes sir there is. March 12th for "The Abyss". That date comes from Amazon where I preordered it.

I don't use a disc player for 4K, I digitize them and watch them via Plex.
Is the HD/4k version(s) of "The Abyss" finally going to be available?? They have put this off for years!

$51.99 at Amazon??
Find the pre-order and wait in line you will get it. I think I paid $25. I find it to close to time so I am waiting as well. I normally pre-order months before and get it release day but I hosed up on that one.

Find the pre-order and wait in line you will get it. I think I paid $25. I find it to close to time so I am waiting as well. I normally pre-order months before and get it release day but I hosed up on that one.
Maybe you could send me a link for the preorder at that price point? I can't find it.

Maybe you could send me a link for the preorder at that price point? I can't find it.

It, sadly, isn't available for pre-order anymore. They are out-of-stock. It will probably comeback late after they get more in or there is a 2nd print run.

It, sadly, isn't available for pre-order anymore. They are out-of-stock. It will probably comeback late after they get more in or there is a 2nd print run.
This whole "pre-order" thing is game that sellers love to play.

$51.99 at Amazon??
That is for a "used" copy. Add on a US$14 delivery charge, any sales tax your US state demands to get paid, and the cost is about triple of what the scalpers paid to get their multiple new copies of the 4K release.

On the day of release the price for a used copy was almost US$60 for several hours.

When the studio, 20th Century, finally produces more copies in a 2nd or 3rd production run, then (hopefully) there will be new copies available and at a reasonable price.

For a movie that wasn't a major box office hit when it was first run in the theaters in 1989, wasn't a roaring success when released on DVD even with the director's cut special edition, it is a bit surprising this 4K release has been a target by scalpers. Maybe it is because of renewed interest in previous CGI spectaculars by the director, James Cameron, after his successes with Avatar.

It does (mostly) bust the "received wisdom" that disc-based releases are dead, streaming is "where its at."

GCI at the time was very experimental, and expensive, he's always been a too picky perfectionist that bloats up the cost of the movie. He also toned down his "aliens are nicer than humans" ending as well for the theatrical release.

The conventional wisdom then and now of the studios and theater owners is "the shorter the movie the more times it can be shown and so more money, audiences won't sit still for a 2.5+ hour movie, etc."

Tell a good story in a compelling way and the length of a movie becomes less an issue.

GCI at the time was very experimental, and expensive, he's always been a too picky perfectionist that bloats up the cost of the movie. He also toned down his "aliens are nicer than humans" ending as well for the theatrical release.

The conventional wisdom then and now of the studios and theater owners is "the shorter the movie the more times it can be shown and so more money, audiences won't sit still for a 2.5+ hour movie, etc."

Tell a good story in a compelling way and the length of a movie becomes less an issue.
The CGI in that movie was cool enough to be very pretty and interesting. However, it was just window dressing (as it should be) for that wonderful story of sacrifice.

This whole "pre-order" thing is game that sellers love to play.

Pre-ordering early allows you to reserve an item before it goes out of stock. Pre-ordering on Amazon (and probably other sites) will lock in the lowest price that the items go to between the time you pre-order and the time it's shipped.

Pre-ordering early allows you to reserve an item before it goes out of stock. Pre-ordering on Amazon (and probably other sites) will lock in the lowest price that the items go to between the time you pre-order and the time it's shipped.
I don't pre-order anything digital but discs I really want I do. I have done that several times recently and it always worked out well for me. The only reason I don't have The Abyss is because I waited too late.

$51.99 at Amazon??
I just checked and now the used price for a factory sealed box is US$119 + $3.99 shipping.

Yeah, the scalpers are making a "killing" off this release, if people can't wait for a new production run.

[ETA]: Now the price is US$149.95 + US$3.99 shipping. *Ick*

I don't pre-order anything digital but discs I really want I do.
Currently no release date for Dune, Part Two on Amazon, Blu-ray + Digital, but I decided to get in the pre-order queue (hopefully) early. Now we'll see if that worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: DQ
My replacement hasn't even shipped. And they said it'd be another week before it even has a chance. So...yea.

Back