• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved 4K Downloads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can absolutely understand how you're feeling as that's what brought me to AS in the first place!

But I wouldn't say storage is hitting a plateau, since today 16TB drives tend to come to a reasonable price and hence a 64TB NAS at home is quite possible. Also serveral manufacturers have anounced much larger drives in the not so far future. Space should not be much of an issue. (See e.g. https://www.anandtech.com/show/17419/destination-30-tb-hdd-vendors-planning-for-2023 )

A 64tb NAS with zero redundancy? Yeah that sounds like a fantastic idea! lol

I actually work in the storage industry and we're playing around with those 30tb drives today. Building bigger ones is perfectly possible; the issue is I/O speeds. Right now, about the largest drives we have in the field are 18tb. In a RAID6 setup(that is 10 drives in 8+2) it can sometimes take days to rebuild a failed raid member. We're currently building all new SAN(think a NAS on steroids) designs to try and make that 30tb drive rebuild sometime before the heat-death of the universe, but its rough going.

What's interesting - for about the same price as that 64tb NAS today, you probably could have bought a 256gb NAS in 2002. But even using my "feature film on a CDR" metric, the big NAS back then could only fit ~360 movies(at probably less than 720p). Today, that 640tb NAS could hold, what, 640 4k movies? That's a really pretty impressive leap forward if you think about it.

That is not quite true. 4k downloads are already here today if you are willing to use the proprietary software. Of course that comes with the corresponding limitations. That's why I'm very happy with AS's 1080p!

Also buying 4k DVDs and ripping them is here. That's actually how I get all my 4k content; a film is important enough for me to have at that resolution I buy and rip it.

I am actually quite curious what the future will hold. Obviously 4k and eventually 8k are soon to be the norm(everything is filmed in 8k now and we should be seeing 8k projectors in movie theaters any time); but but 4k and 8k files are going to be awful hard to deal with in any kind of volume. Home storage is king of hitting a plateau(especially with the trend towards small fast drives instead of big ones).
Only resolution of 4K/8K is not the whole truth....You must see the quality and the Bitrate of such a stream. I think you can cpmpare this with a shrinked disc. You also have lower quality here. At the end there is a big diffrence between resolution and quality I think. Nobody want's extremly low bitrate with high resolution - or am I wrong in this?

even the film industry is not very often able to produce decent 4K UHD discs (although able to but with additional costs) it is very surprising how bad the quality is sometimes (although the masters are better than 4K).
You can do that at home too, with the right program and PC, and the quality is many times better.
It's not that difficult to upscale a 1080p source with enough bitrates so that you end up with a 4K UHD, which is much better and you don't have to do without HDR10 and 3D Sound.

even the film industry is not very often able to produce decent 4K UHD discs (although able to but with additional costs) it is very surprising how bad the quality is sometimes (although the masters are better than 4K).
You can do that at home too, with the right program and PC, and the quality is many times better.
It's not that difficult to upscale a 1080p source with enough bitrates so that you end up with a 4K UHD, which is much better and you don't have to do without HDR10 and 3D Sound.

Yes...you can and results are usually good. You have a slight edge over me.... I've got a 3060ti versus your 3070.

Its possible to upscale a video to 4k resolution but that doesn't actually make it 4k. Its like the magic enhance button on CSI, the resolution you start with is all the resolution you get. It may certainly look different but its not the same as starting with a 4k source or film digitally scanned in 4K.

Yes...you can and results are usually good. You have a slight edge over me.... I've got a 3060ti versus your 3070.

Your model of graphics card has nothing to do with the quality of the output you get from rendering video files. I could run the same software on a "headless" PC(one with no graphics card at all) and get the same results. All those hollywood films? They are rendered on PCs that do not have graphics cards as such. The video card, if there even is one, is some ancient ATI model.

Not that long ago render machines were entirely CPU-based. Now adays they do use G.eneral P.roccessing U.nits the same as at the core of your 3060ti. GPUs handle certain workloads(like math and graphics processing) better than CPUs. But its only been very recently that GPUs got fast enough to supplant CPUs in sheer horsepower.

You are about a year too late. They now have AI rendering that you almost can't tell the difference between the real 4k and the upscaled 4K but you need a very good video card ( 3090Ti) and a program that can actually do it correctly. Nvidia is the key. Some good software is perfect for upscaling 1080p to 4k. The noise reduction alone is leagues above anything else I've tried. It's best for when your footage is already good and you're just looking for the cherry on top. The software costs 199.99 but if 4K is what you want and you have a good GPU, I would go for it—PM me for the name of the software. I won't discuss it on our forum. Free advertising is not in my DNA.

Last edited:
Well I've got some old VHS rips I wouldn't mind seeing cleaned up. What's the software? If it has a free trial I'd love to give it a whirl.

But you are wrong about the graphics card. The only thing a better graphics card does is complete the task faster; and even then there's other bottlenecks. The software might include some kind of hardware key to prevent people from, say, trying to run it on an old laptop and getting frustrated when it takes 8 years o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
PM , and I willgive the name of the software and you can see for yourself, I really do not want to discuss it here. I have no idea about a free trial. Yes it take awhile to complete, but you have to sleep sometime right?

Exactly! Lol.

Back in college I actually built a very ramshackle render farm to speed up my 3d animation final. I accomplished this by taking every PC I could get to boot, loading the software, and giving it a specific set of frames to run. Sometimes just launching the software and starting the render process took half an hour(imagine a 433mhz celeron trying to load 3d studio max in 2005). But the end result was I finished my renders over the course of a few days and had lots of time to edit/tweek the final output, while all my classmates were desperately trying to render 1/10th of the video on their laptops. Fun times.

So true (y)

My son has a Nikon Z9 that can record in 8K. So I do believe the film industry has better than his Nikon for films.They just do not use it because the size of the output, and also that 4K is about as good as anyone can play on their TVs, and I don't care what TV it is, yes some are better than others, but the 4K UHD discs are excellent.

Film industry is already filming in 12k(and has been for a couple of years). Anything over 8k is kind of pointless because the human eye can no longer distinguish between pixels at that size. The reason for filming in 12k is you always want your source to be better than your finished product. Size output is no problem, those machines they record to are measured in petabytes. Directors actually kind of go overboard now; imagine a shot done with six different 12k cameras all recording uncompressed... and they still film dozens of takes because space is really no object.

Film industry is already filming in 12k(and has been for a couple of years). Anything over 8k is kind of pointless because the human eye can no longer distinguish between pixels at that size. The reason for filming in 12k is you always want your source to be better than your finished product. Size output is no problem, those machines they record to are measured in petabytes. Directors actually kind of go overboard now; imagine a shot done with six different 12k cameras all recording uncompressed... and they still film dozens of takes because space is really no object.
Now we agree 100%. You are absolutely correct in all areas.:)

I have the ability here to rip my 4k discs and I've done so a couple of times but I just don't bother with them.
It takes up way too much space and I am more than capable of just throwing that 4k disc in my OPPO for serious watching.
Serious watching for me is maybe 1% compared to the rest of my casual viewing.

I actually don't even have a 4k TV just yet; if I want to watch in 4k I have to use my computer monitor. When 4k becomes more common what I'll probably do is rip-->watch-->delete except for truly exceptional films. At least until those enormous hard drives dip in price a bit more ;)

I agree, but I just wanted to express that what is often sold to us as 4K UHD is not worth bearing such a name.
You could do it better because the masters are better that are lying in their drawers, but that is very often not the case and that with a powerful computer and suitable software you get a better result than what is offered to us for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back