• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

4.38 dvd

Generally, no.
If you recompress with HEVC, then usually.
A full mp4 movie is seldom less than 5GB, though more often from Netflix because of high compression, or Hulu because of 720P.

Well, due to the limits of most DVD players' capabilities, the original MP4 files can't be played directly on regular home DVD players. ... And if you download the right software, you can burn MP4 to DVD. But like jbrisbin said you will have to compress it most times.

For me a DVD is 4,7 GB... but might be different along some countries.

That depends on what you want to do. If you just want to get the file on it and the file is smaller than the DVD can store, than sure, why not? But if you want to play it on a DVD player, you have to convert it to 720 ×576 or 720 × 480 (PAL/NTSC). This will reduce filesize drastically and maybe you can save Bitrate through it, but I'm not an expert at this, there the other people might chime in and tell you the best ways to encode/author a video to DVD.

Also you might be able to use a double layer DVD, wich can hold up do 8,5 GB.

If you want to keep the 1080p or 720p (D+) resolution, then you have to use Blue Ray. These can hold up do 25, 50 or 100GB, so you can store multiple movies on it.

Edit: But for BD you will need both a new player and a new burner, because pure DVD drives cannot play BD. But they are not very expensive. If you are going to purchase a new drive, you might thing about a UHD friendly drive, but of course only if you want to use AnyDVD or even want to buy UHD discs.

The 50-count Verbatim BD25’s I buy come out to 64 cents each. Just saying.

Last edited:
For me a DVD is 4,7 GB... but might be different along some countries.
That's would be highly unusual. A standard single layer DVD (no matter the country) can't physically hold more than 4.35GB, while a double layer disc at most holds 8.5GB. Some drives are capable of "overburning" but that requires specific drives and discs

That's would be highly unusual. A standard single layer DVD (no matter the country) can't physically hold more than 4.35GB, while a double layer disc at most holds 8.5GB. Some drives are capable of "overburning" but that requires specific drives and discs
I should be more clear... on the disc itself ( a german DVD RW) the label says 4.7 GB and since I haven't used such a disc for a long time now I thought this is the acual capacity but since harddiscs that are sold as, say 1TB only have 953GB it might be the same thing here. In that case just forgot that I wrote this.

4.34 is the max on a regular DVD, Even at 4.34 is a bit of an overburn but it can be done. The disc needs room to finalize.

I should be more clear... on the disc itself ( a german DVD RW) the label says 4.7 GB and since I haven't used such a disc for a long time now I thought this is the acual capacity but since harddiscs that are sold as, say 1TB only have 953GB it might be the same thing here. In that case just forgot that I wrote this.

Yeah its the same thing

Pedantically, the two drive sizes in common use are either based on binary values or decimal values.

Early in the new millennium, marketers at drive companies noticed that if they abandoned the traditional computing sizes for storage or 1KB=1024, 1MB=1048576, 1GB=1073741824 for the French system where 1KB=1000, 1MB=1000000 and 1GB=1000000000 they could increase the apparent size of drive by 7% measured in the gigabyte range.
Customers were outraged at this bit of sophistry and Seagate, at least, was eventually forced to make amends to customers defrauded.
Subsequently, you saw an explanation beneath the inflated size claiming that 1GB=1000000000, adopting the ten finger Norman fetish.

If you divide 4.7GB (french) by 1GB (real) -> 4,700,000,000 / 1073741824 you get the 4.38GB (real) that you can use.

As the old joke goes, "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't."

binary values or decimal values
I know that, I only was not sure about the capacity of a DVD since I haven't used one for a while now.
Edit: About the joke, already know it, but what is with quantum computing ;)?

Back