• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

2 Blu-ray drives For Ripping

SkyLiner

Hi guys, just wanted to share a little something in case anyone else finds this helpful. Today I installed a 2nd Blu-ray player into my computer, a different brand than my first one. I did this to see if there would be any difference between the players when I run into BDs that don't properly rip all the way and that give errors somewhere during the process.

The first BD of mine that I wasn't able to backup (with my 1st Blu-ray player) was The Revenant. Unfortunately when I popped The Revenant into the 2nd Blu-ray player, it also got chocked up at roughly the same spot, so even though I see no scratches on my original BD, I'm chocking that one up as a "bad pressed" BD. The 2nd BD of mine that I was having trouble making a backup of was Moana. Fortunately, with Moana, the 2nd Blu-ray player WAS able to rip this one all the way through, giving no errors.

So, maybe there are some slight differences between Blu-ray players and their lasers that allow some of them to rip a BD that another one can't. This was a small victory for me.

FWIW, the way I rip is as follows:
1) Run AnyDVDHD (and let it do its magic)
2) Run CloneBD and do an uncompressed rip...but only of selected titles, not the whole disc...to ISO.

I've found that it takes the same amount of time to do a 1:1 rip using only AnyDVDHD as it does to make a 1:1 rip using CloneBD, but since CloneBD allows me to select only titles I want (in my case, the Main Feature...and then some of the Bonus Features), this is nice (for me) in that my ISO rips end up smaller (by up to 15GB or more, depending) of what a full 1:1 rip would be.

Best Regards

Your older reader probably has a dirty lens.
New discs can also have a film on them from manufacturing.
To each his own, but when I have new discs that won't read, I gently wash them of with Dawn in warm water with my bare hands and use a microfibre cloth to gently dry.

FWIW:
A " Blu-ray Player" would be plugged into the display and only used for viewing the content on the disc. ie settop Player or a gaming console.

A "Blu-ray Drive" is what is in your PC. And that can read to view or rip media and with the correct models can write to a blank BDR .

But to your point. Yes some drives can be more forgiving with borderline disc's. The age and the amount of usage on the drive. Can have an effect on that as well.

Big? I got 3 optical drives in mine :p

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

All the drives use Error Correcting Code (ECC) and the ECC from different manufacturers is different and even between different model drives of the same manufacturer can be different. It's quite possible for one drive to throw ECC uncorrectable read errors but a different drive to breeze right through. I have 4 total blu-ray drives (2 each in two different systems) and they all respond slightly differently to marginal media. I just had this happen in fact with Torchwood S4D3 where 2 drives choked and 2 drives did not. Interestingly, I have two Sony drives (of different models and ages) and one was able to read the disk and one was not.

Edit: CloneBD did not detect any issue with the disk or ISO when it was in a readable drive.

Big? I got 3 optical drives in mine :p

?!? What for?

I have the same LG I purchased many years ago and it still runs rock solid!

Simple, rip 2 movies and watch a third or rip 3 at a time while I do something else. Trust me, those drives see ripping and/or burning activity on a weekly basis.

I, too, have three drives in mine for simutaneous ripping. Whenever I build me a new rig, I always use drives of different makes and/or models. I've encountered discs that one drive just will not rip, but will in another. And it's not always the same drive.

i figured it was aimed at me, just didn't respond due to being a bit too OT for the thread. This isn't a pc showcase thread.

... where 2 drives choked and 2 drives did not. Interestingly, I have two Sony drives (of different models and ages) and one was able to read the disk and one was not.

are the two non-"choked" drives being consistently better than the two "choked" drives? If so, can you provide SKU for the former, as indicator of a good buy, for those considering purchase?

Moved this thread out of the AnyDVD section.

Oh my, didn't see any of these replies till just now. Neat stuff.

So to clarify, I now have 2 Blu-ray DRIVES, not (living room) players...in my computer. (I also have 2 DVD burners in the same computer for a total of 4 optical drives.)

Both of these Blu-ray drives are brand new, so the fact that one of them ripped a BD and the other choked on it wasn't due to dust or the laser being old. After seeing that some of you have 3 or 4 different Blu-ray drives in your machines to do multiple ripping simultaneously--or so that one drive can rip a BD that the other choked on--maybe I'll try that, as it's a bummer to run into a BD that you have to send back because it had errors that wouldn't let you rip it.

I actually rip directly to an external HD plugged into a USB 3 port on the computer...so I can then take that external HD to my living room TV box (HiMedia Q10 Pro) and copy/paste the content to the TV box's HD, rather than moving the TV box back and forth all the time. I'm curious if my little external HD could handle doing 2 rips at the same time (the concern being that during the part where it writes the ISO to the drive, if it were doing 2 at the same time, the HD might choke up a bit and go very slow if writing 2 40GB files simultaneously.

Kind Regards

Back