• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

1080p Downloads Of 4k Movies On Prime

Great posts, all. My favorite are the posts from Lowpro and replies from RedFox 1. I can relate to both of you, and I am probably some place in the middle age-wise, at 52.

First before my long rant I will post a simple question so I can hopefully get an answer haha:
Does anyone know of an authoring software that will let me write these mp4 files from anystream to either DVD or (preferably) blu ray disc that will actually be playable on a standard stand-alone blu ray deck?

Okay now for my thoughts!:

Some benefits to owning a physical disc that you don't mention, aside from some of us wanting to actually watch our favorites more than once, are the functionality of playback. With streaming, you;'re letting the streaming platform decide what you're able to do. With your player, you can usually pause, search forward or backward at various speeds or slow mo, frame-by-frame advance and with some of the older players (my Oppo blu ray deck being one of those) you can zoom in and (in mostly DVD format only) zoom and choose the part of the screen to zoom in on.
You can play them during times of interned down-time, take them to play for your friends and family, and (wow.....) actually have some movies that aren't available to stream because they're scarce and out of print, not currently offered, etc.

These are main reasons that I want to use anystream, but probably only if I can find a authoring program that will make a playable disc.
I've only used the free trial so far and what I was able to do was to put an mp4 file on a bluray disc, but it was only about 6 Gb worth so would have fit on a DVD.
None of my blu ray players would even recognize it.
It only played on the computer. I could probably get a cord to run (if I can get one of my computers that has svga output) and run it to a t.v. screen if I have one that has such an input, which I don't think my latest ones have any more.
When I put the mp4 file onto a usb thumb drive, it played in my panasonic 4k blu ray deck, but with no sound. It worked in my oppo with sound, and was totally enjoyable, and for some reason actually looked better than the averaged (about 9-12 Mb per sec. according ot the display info. screen) bitrate of playback. Better than most blu rays that I play on it. That unit does upscale to 4k for the output by the way.
This was all great, and does let me save the movie in case it ceases to be available to stream on Amazon at some point, but it still doesn't get me to the ability of saving it to a disc that a player will recognize.

Does anyone know of an authoring software that will let me write these mp4 files from anystream to either DVD or (preferably) blu ray disc that will actually be playable on a standard stand-alone blu ray deck?

Great posts, all. My favorite are the posts from Lowpro and replies from RedFox 1. I can relate to both of you, and I am probably some place in the middle age-wise, at 52.

First before my long rant I will post a simple question so I can hopefully get an answer haha:

Okay now for my thoughts!:

Some benefits to owning a physical disc that you don't mention, aside from some of us wanting to actually watch our favorites more than once, are the functionality of playback. With streaming, you;'re letting the streaming platform decide what you're able to do. With your player, you can usually pause, search forward or backward at various speeds or slow mo, frame-by-frame advance and with some of the older players (my Oppo blu ray deck being one of those) you can zoom in and (in mostly DVD format only) zoom and choose the part of the screen to zoom in on.
You can play them during times of interned down-time, take them to play for your friends and family, and (wow.....) actually have some movies that aren't available to stream because they're scarce and out of print, not currently offered, etc.

These are main reasons that I want to use anystream, but probably only if I can find a authoring program that will make a playable disc.
I've only used the free trial so far and what I was able to do was to put an mp4 file on a bluray disc, but it was only about 6 Gb worth so would have fit on a DVD.
None of my blu ray players would even recognize it.
It only played on the computer. I could probably get a cord to run (if I can get one of my computers that has svga output) and run it to a t.v. screen if I have one that has such an input, which I don't think my latest ones have any more.
When I put the mp4 file onto a usb thumb drive, it played in my panasonic 4k blu ray deck, but with no sound. It worked in my oppo with sound, and was totally enjoyable, and for some reason actually looked better than the averaged (about 9-12 Mb per sec. according ot the display info. screen) bitrate of playback. Better than most blu rays that I play on it. That unit does upscale to 4k for the output by the way.
This was all great, and does let me save the movie in case it ceases to be available to stream on Amazon at some point, but it still doesn't get me to the ability of saving it to a disc that a player will recognize.

I am not begrudging you the way you want to use AS or consume media but putting digital media onto disks seems counter-productive to me. Not because it cannot work but because it might be an arduous process in itself and it's far more convoluted to store and use media that way. Ultimately it just does not seem efficient. Again, I am not saying you are incorrect I am just trying to say there are more effcient ways. Especially when you get down to have a lot of titles.

Just my 2 cents.

I am not begrudging you the way you want to use AS or consume media but putting digital media onto disks seems counter-productive to me. Not because it cannot work but because it might be an arduous process in itself and it's far more convoluted to store and use media that way. Ultimately it just does not seem efficient. Again, I am not saying you are incorrect I am just trying to say there are more effcient ways. Especially when you get down to have a lot of titles.

Just my 2 cents.
Sure I see your point, from a standpoint of storage space. The hard drive I use can hold 4 Tb and that's great, but what if it crashes?
Also, to me, discs are compact.. coming from the old school of VHS tapes or laser discs which are much bigger. Yes though, they still do take up a lot of space and can be cumbersome to store when you have a large collection, which I have.

However, as I say you can pause, frame by frame, zoom, etc. Try doing that on netflix. Also, some movies are on DVD and blu ray which were and probably never will be released to stream, and some older ones on Laser disc that were never even put on a better format... some made it onto VHS but nothing better in quality like DVD or Blu Ray.
I have some laser disc movies that would go for big bucks on ebay but I would never let them go. I can use a dvd recorder to go analog from the old laser disc player onto a dvd disc, which is not very good quality but better than vhs.

I do like the convenience of streaming, and the massive amount of stuff available. Love the cheesy horror movies haha. Just my poor taste haha. But the physical disc can potentially give you a better picture at 4k especially, and 3d movies on blu ray, and lots of stuff you simply can't do with streams.

Those are my reasons for using discs.

Sure I see your point, from a standpoint of storage space. The hard drive I use can hold 4 Tb and that's great, but what if it crashes?
Also, to me, discs are compact.. coming from the old school of VHS tapes or laser discs which are much bigger. Yes though, they still do take up a lot of space and can be cumbersome to store when you have a large collection, which I have.

However, as I say you can pause, frame by frame, zoom, etc. Try doing that on netflix. Also, some movies are on DVD and blu ray which were and probably never will be released to stream, and some older ones on Laser disc that were never even put on a better format... some made it onto VHS but nothing better in quality like DVD or Blu Ray.
I have some laser disc movies that would go for big bucks on ebay but I would never let them go. I can use a dvd recorder to go analog from the old laser disc player onto a dvd disc, which is not very good quality but better than vhs.

I do like the convenience of streaming, and the massive amount of stuff available. Love the cheesy horror movies haha. Just my poor taste haha. But the physical disc can potentially give you a better picture at 4k especially, and 3d movies on blu ray, and lots of stuff you simply can't do with streams.

My man, I love the B horror movies too!!! I have a pretty good collection of them!

But to your points, I disagree a little bit. Again, not at all saying you are wrong. But I find that no matter what the original media is, to convert it to a file it better. Why? Because storing, using and cataloging many titles (in my opinion) is FAR easier with files than physical media. Now keep in mind, I am not saying torch your media. All the titles I have (even VHS) gets converted to files and used that way.

I can do everything you listed with them as files. From pausing and replaying to lossless 4k. Now that does not mean there are not challenges or expense. There is. But I think in the end when you have a large collection, using it digitally is far easier.

Just my 2 cents man. I am just trying to mention how I use it all in the event it helps you be more efficient in your collection. But it is all very personal and how you wanna use it is how you wanna use it.

My man, I love the B horror movies too!!! I have a pretty good collection of them!

But to your points, I disagree a little bit. Again, not at all saying you are wrong. But I find that no matter what the original media is, to convert it to a file it better. Why? Because storing, using and cataloging many titles (in my opinion) is FAR easier with files than physical media. Now keep in mind, I am not saying torch your media. All the titles I have (even VHS) gets converted to files and used that way.

I can do everything you listed with them as files. From pausing and replaying to lossless 4k. Now that does not mean there are not challenges or expense. There is. But I think in the end when you have a large collection, using it digitally is far easier.

Just my 2 cents man. I am just trying to mention how I use it all in the event it helps you be more efficient in your collection. But it is all very personal and how you wanna use it is how you wanna use it.
You betcha!
How many times can a buncha stoopid teens go into some backwoods and run into a bunch of crazy cannibalistic maniacs in a mostly abandoned mining town, or killer clowns who got stranded when their circus train got derailed, one might ask?
Never enough is the correct answer.

As for storage and all yeah, I love the digital era. I can easily stream any time... I can use a thumb drive to hold a gob of my favorite music, entire album collections, and take them from my living room to bedroom sound system depending on when I want to jam out in full power or lay back and have the 5.1 channel sim. surround and the 900 watt HSU sub in the closet beside my bed rattling my bones.
I mostly do that while the wife is watching that Hell's Kitchen or something awful in the other room haha.
But the discs will always give you the purity of sound on a great deck and system... eespecially dvd-audio and hi res SACD or blu ray format, and even more so with surround sound, some of which they actually recorded thhings in back in the 70's which has since come out of the vaults and onto surround discs.

Movies, though... I do prefer to have the playback control of disc, even though the convenience of streams is awesome. How though do you play the files with the slo mo and still funtions? Do you use a software based setup of is it a dedicated streaming device - I know those can get pricey and have looked at some, but so far use my 4k panasonic player because it has the best picture processing I have ever experienced.. even better than my Oppo.

Tell me more about that streaming playback that you somehow have more control over, if you don't mind!!

You betcha!
How many times can a buncha stoopid teens go into some backwoods and run into a bunch of crazy cannibalistic maniacs in a mostly abandoned mining town, or killer clowns who got stranded when their circus train got derailed, one might ask?
Never enough is the correct answer.

As for storage and all yeah, I love the digital era. I can easily stream any time... I can use a thumb drive to hold a gob of my favorite music, entire album collections, and take them from my living room to bedroom sound system depending on when I want to jam out in full power or lay back and have the 5.1 channel sim. surround and the 900 watt HSU sub in the closet beside my bed rattling my bones.
I mostly do that while the wife is watching that Hell's Kitchen or something awful in the other room haha.
But the discs will always give you the purity of sound on a great deck and system... eespecially dvd-audio and hi res SACD or blu ray format, and even more so with surround sound, some of which they actually recorded thhings in back in the 70's which has since come out of the vaults and onto surround discs.

Movies, though... I do prefer to have the playback control of disc, even though the convenience of streams is awesome. How though do you play the files with the slo mo and still funtions? Do you use a software based setup of is it a dedicated streaming device - I know those can get pricey and have looked at some, but so far use my 4k panasonic player because it has the best picture processing I have ever experienced.. even better than my Oppo.

Tell me more about that streaming playback that you somehow have more control over, if you don't mind!!
For video conversion and playback, trial VSO software.

:)

It's more or less a question of your preferences. Storing on hard drive and playing with a media player (Clone Oppo) is what I do now. Yes. Hard drives might fail. So you need to do backups. Discs are however even more likely to fail. Especially these 50GB dual layer discs if you want to keep the quality of UHD discs as best as you can. Playback failures at the layer break are very common. And the quality over time will go south. Therefore I stopped to burn to disc what i did for many, many years. Yes, I have also a friend who wants to put his disc in the player and he wants his disc cover and his disc box, but I think considering the options with a good media player this is almost romantic. Just my 2 cents.

NEVER rely on one disk... Use NAS devices with RAID (not RAID0 !) and make additional backups.... best to another NAS
;)

It's more or less a question of your preferences. Storing on hard drive and playing with a media player (Clone Oppo) is what I do now. Yes. Hard drives might fail. So you need to do backups. Discs are however even more likely to fail. Especially these 50GB dual layer discs if you want to keep the quality of UHD discs as best as you can. Playback failures at the layer break are very common. And the quality over time will go south. Therefore I stopped to burn to disc what i did for many, many years. Yes, I have also a friend who wants to put his disc in the player and he wants his disc cover and his disc box, but I think considering the options with a good media player this is almost romantic. Just my 2 cents.
I used to have lots of problems when dual layer dvd media first came out... maybe in the 90s... then when dual layer blu ray came out, after I started mastering blu rays.
But not in many years have I ever had much of any glitching with dual layer blu ray from a standard blu ray one-to-one copy, especially if using verbatim or ritek/ridata disksand then it has been fine.

Only glitches I get in disc playback these days are with factory made 4k discs. I have tried them in sony, panasonic, units that cost up to $1000, all of them have goofed up on 4k factory pressings at least a few times and often required not only power off but unplugging before I could even eject the disc. I returned the thousand dollar panasonic and eventually bought their 500 midline unit, simply because it has the best picture processing for blu ray and streaming of any device I have ever used.
If it freezes it freezes.

But this is considering thatI have only made "backup copies" of physical dvd and blu rays, both single and dual layer. Not 4k.
I don't even want to attempt at this time to put UHD 4k format onto a 2 or 4 layer blu ray though... those XL bdr media discs cost so much I would rather just buy them on 4k format than try to make my own copy, and risk up getting a coaster some of the times anyway.
So in my case, I would want to use the mp4 files from anystream, then burn them to either DVD or blu ray disc depending on the quality of file available to begin with, in regular 1080p blu ray standard, not 4k or uhd.
So is this achievable using the software, such as the other awesome forum member suggested, VSO software. if you are aware?
I do appreciate the help!!

NEVER rely on one disk... Use NAS devices with RAID (not RAID0 !) and make additional backups.... best to another NAS
;)
Thanks for the advice. I do use multiple redundancy on backups of anything that I really cherish. Some movies cost so much if you can even find them, and CDs also, when they are far out of print..., not to mention the specialty surround sound discs (which I have never attempted to make digital copies of anyway).

Use NAS devices with RAID
Sorry, no by home use.
Tip: never use Raid for NAS devices.
If you use Raid in your NAS device, can you also continue burn discs.
It's all unnecessary work, waste of time and money, but not a point more safety.
Yes = backups and backups and backups, but never use Raid.

Sorry, no by home use.
Tip: never use Raid for NAS devices.
If you use Raid in your NAS device, can you also continue burn discs.
It's all unnecessary work, waste of time and money, but not a point more safety.
Yes = backups and backups and backups, but never use Raid.
Hahaha... no worries about that... I only use raid to kill bugs. I'm otherwise unfamiliar.
The redundancy to which I was referring was storing something on a physical disc that I play on the player, and saving it to more than one hard drive and/or external memory device in case the disc is ever lost or I want to make another. The drives that I mainly use for anything on my computers are solid state. Faster and more reliable. Other than that I have a couple of bulk/mass storage hard drives, one for extra space for the satellite receiver and another for just mass storage of stuff that is okay if I lose.
Everything super special is multiple redundantly saved/burned to physical format/etc.

If you are only 52 I am old enough to be your father.;)
Yeah... my Dad's getting up there too. He is still fairly tech savvy... used to be in public relations, use all kinds of recording studio equipment and all that... I grew up around reel-to-reel, 4 and 8 track and all that, sound proofed studio, etc... lots of electronics all the time.
Now he is in a smaller condo, having been retired for a while and downsizing. I can't help him pick out the latest sound systems any more because he doesn't want to disturb the neighbors!

@Killer B.

Like has been mentioned, all this shenanigans is about preferences. That's why I would not call anything you like or prefer to do wrong. Because it's all very personal, dependent on what YOU like and your own situation.

But with that said, to offer a different perspective, here is how I do it. I am not saying it's right or wrong or better but I know I have learned a TON here by finding out how others handled their stuff.

- So all my media is digitized and stored on a NAS (running RAID5)
-- This includes everything from CDs to UHD movies (which I store lossless)
- The NAS is connected to a dedicated Plex server
--So Plex is the "center" of my media world
- From there every TV has a Roku on it which the Plex app is installed and used
- I use an additional piece of software to catalogue everything so I know what form in came in and how it's been stored

So to bring in new titles is not just a "throw it on the pile" mentality. Everything has to go through the "process" and get digitized, stored and catalogued.

That's just how I do it but if you like discs there is nothing wrong with that.

Limitation: Emulator --> 4K video play is not supported.

Not sure to what you are referring. I play 4k video just fine. Takes a buttload of bandwidth but plays fine.

Really?
It probably depends on the TV device.
The Plex TV Extension actually only plays a maximum of 1080p, not 4k.

I use separate Roku's intentionally, not the SmartTV software even if it's a Roku TV. Not sure about that particular limitation but the software and resource differences make the separate hardware far superior in my experience. But the Roku Ultra I use for 4K plays 4K and HDR no problem. Again, it's a 100mb stream but it works well.

Back