• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD and black borders (nvidia)

arca

Read the FAQ, googled and still no luck.

For some reason I get giant black borders all around when playing this Blu-Ray movie in full-screen mode. I can't be the first with this set up, so what am I missing?

Windows XP
PowerDVD 3319a
AnyDVD-HD 6.4.0.0
GeForce 8800 gt
Forceware 169.21

Last edited:
It's a glitch in 3319a. I have the same problem with my ati 2600. You can adjust the resolution. I set mine a 1280x768 thats pretty close.

It's a glitch in 3319a. I have the same problem with my ati 2600. You can adjust the resolution. I set mine a 1280x768 thats pretty close.

No, it is not a glitch in 3319a. It is a "glitch" with the ATI drivers (and there is a simple registry patch to solve this). As the OP has NVidia 8800GT, the problem is not the same.
The OP said he cannot playback "this Blu-Ray movie" without borders. What is "this"? A single movie? All BD movies?

No, it is not a glitch in 3319a. It is a "glitch" with the ATI drivers (and there is a simple registry patch to solve this). As the OP has NVidia 8800GT, the problem is not the same.
The OP said he cannot playback "this Blu-Ray movie" without borders. What is "this"? A single movie? All BD movies?

ok I stand corrected.:D I started a thread abouts this this is as close as I got.

Start Menu Run regedit
Expand to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cyberlink\PowerDVD
Right click on on PowerDVD and export to save backup
select a file location, type filename, and click OK
In the right hand pane double click on UI_FullScreenResolution
Set to 0, click OK
Run PDVD to see if it makes a difference.
If the value was already 0, set to 1 to see if it makes a difference.
Similarly you can mess with the initsmooth key

I followed this but there was nothing even remotely close to "UI_FullScreenResolution" in the regestry so I left it alone.

do you know more about this patch?

the reason I thought it was PDVD is because windvd7 , showtime and arcsoft players work fine at full resolution

Last edited:
That was fast response. The movie is Flags of our Fathers. I will try another one tonight. I will also try another screen resolution, although that is not really an option I like. Native is a bit odd, 1400 x 788.

EDIT: This is for the ATI "black border" problem! This is *not* for the problem of the OP!

ok I stand corrected.:D I started a thread abouts this this is as close as I got.

Start Menu Run regedit
Expand to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cyberlink\PowerDVD
Right click on on PowerDVD and export to save backup
select a file location, type filename, and click OK
In the right hand pane double click on UI_FullScreenResolution
Set to 0, click OK
Run PDVD to see if it makes a difference.
If the value was already 0, set to 1 to see if it makes a difference.
Similarly you can mess with the initsmooth key

I followed this but there was nothing even remotely close to "UI_FullScreenResolution" in the regestry so I left it alone.

do you know more about this patch?

the reason I thought it was PDVD is because windvd7 , showtime and arcsoft players work fine at full resolution

Read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11659897&postcount=2121

VForceMaxResSize 2800000 (aka SORTOverrideVidSizeCaps in Cat7.7 and earlier) = this sets the PDVD HDDVD/Bluray max render size in pixels, but the default setting is so small that it can't fill a 1080p screen. The formula appears to be screen width squared * 0.75. On a 2600 the default value when the key doesn't exist appears to be around 2.3 million, which is enough for a 1600*1200 screen, but not for 1920 pixels wide. For that the 2.8 million value above is enough, but if you have a 2500*1600 screen it needs to be 4687500 or greater. Since there's maybe a performance reason for a limit, it's probably not worth setting it higher than you need.

Then go there:

http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/ati-hd2x00/

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Thanks James, I tried to run the program and my access was denied it said " check that UAC is disabled or set to propt for approval" I don't know where the UAC setting would be. If I can fix this and can run my display a 1920x1080, well that would be sweet.

I tried playing another Blu-Ray movie (Pirates of the Carribean III), but it has the same issue. It's also there regardless of AnyDVD being enabled or disabled. I tried 1280 x 720, but it didn't help. It seems something is limiting video to a width of 1024 pixels. I can't even resize the PowerDVD window on the desktop to wider than 1024.

When you run the script, right click on it and select run as administrator. That should give the script the permissions it needs to run.

When you run the script, right click on it and select run as administrator. That should give the script the permissions it needs to run.

if I right click on it the only thing I see I could do different is "open with command prompts" the is no run as administrator.:bang: I'm running vista 32

Ok I found the solution to my problem.

I'm running two displays, one at 1024x768 and one at 1400x788 (primary). Evidently PowerDVD is a little confused as to what display it is actually running on. If the 1024x768 display is my left-most display (i.e. it is at desktop coordinate 0, 0) then PowerDVD will limit resolution to 1024x768 even though the window is actually on my primary 1400x788 display.

Switching the order of the displays solved the problem.

Back